Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Melbourne

Renting in Melbourne

Old Sep 9th 2014, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Molly Coddle
We got offered a house we applied for today. We have to go in the office tomorrow to sign up. We have just read the small print on the email and they want us to sign up for two years. Is this standard practice in Oz? It seems like a big commitment.

I just saw that post.

I would be wary, you have only been here 5 mins, and the agent probably knows that Bet a local would not take it for 2 years, they would know you move on you have to keep paying the rent or find them someone to take over the lease.

Hence why I was saying we needed a 6 month lease.

In our first year here, we changed State once, areas 3 times and there were a few flounces where someone or other was going back to UK. all very unpredictable.
Old Sep 10th 2014, 7:32 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

We got offered a house we applied for today. We have to go in the office tomorrow to sign up. We have just read the small print on the email and they want us to sign up for two years. Is this standard practice in Oz? It seems like a big commitment.
Originally Posted by jad n rich
I just saw that post.

I would be wary, you have only been here 5 mins, and the agent probably knows that Bet a local would not take it for 2 years, they would know you move on you have to keep paying the rent or find them someone to take over the lease.

Hence why I was saying we needed a 6 month lease.

In our first year here, we changed State once, areas 3 times and there were a few flounces where someone or other was going back to UK. all very unpredictable.
Oops, sorry, I've just seen this too (been distracted by a bunch of irresponsible idiots). Up to you, but 2 years is a long commitment for a new arrival. I hope this suggestion isn't too late but maybe stick to my guns and insist on a year...
Old Sep 10th 2014, 11:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

Sorted the house problem guys, we've got it for 12 months. I think they were just trying their luck with the newbies to the country.
Old Sep 11th 2014, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Which suburb have you ended up in?
Old Sep 12th 2014, 6:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Sorted the house problem guys, we've got it for 12 months. I think they were just trying their luck with the newbies to the country.
Well that is good news

Now you can put the little one(s)? in school . Hope the uniform includes shorts, or a natty tartan blazer, that always goes down well

Hows the car hunt? I nearly got divorced one stinking hot summer saturday car hunting, is there a worse torture?