Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Manly

Renting in Manly

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice
Default Renting in Manly

Hi there

When I was in Manly there seemed to be loads of units advertised in the $350-400 per week range. I didnt get time to check any of them out, but does anyone live in acommodation at this price in Manly? If so, what's it like? Can you get somewhere decent for this price or do you have to look above $400 or even $500 a week?

I fear $350 units would be pretty bad, even though it is a lot of money a week.

Thanks for your help

SS
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 10:35 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Manly

Originally Posted by SuperSeagulls
Hi there

When I was in Manly there seemed to be loads of units advertised in the $350-400 per week range. I didnt get time to check any of them out, but does anyone live in acommodation at this price in Manly? If so, what's it like? Can you get somewhere decent for this price or do you have to look above $400 or even $500 a week?

Thanks for your help

SS
PM Rog Williams - he used to live in Manly in unit near the beach, I think he paid a hell of a lot more & ended up breaking his lease :scared: .
Old Jul 24th 2005, 1:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
PM Rog Williams - he used to live in Manly in unit near the beach, I think he paid a hell of a lot more & ended up breaking his lease :scared: .
You must have guessed they were talking about Manly NSW and not Manly QLD, when you saw the $ figures

Manly Qld average rent for 3 bed units is now $ 265 pw, It's gone up a bit from $260 in June 2003 ! That must be one of the lowest rent growth areas around !!
QLD RTA Rents

Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi there

Thanks for your help

SS

Hi...We live in Manly and it depends where you want to live as to how much it will be. We looked at loads before finding our perfect one, and for less that $400.00 we found that 90% were rubbish. I dont mean location but the state of the unit would be in a bad condition (i.e. decent rooms but bad kitchen or bathroom). If you are prepared to go a little bit further out of Manly town centre you can get some pretty good quality units, but we wanted to be within a 10 min walking distance of the ferry so ended up paying extra for it....I think there are bargains out there and now is the time to get one before all the holiday makers and backpackers flock to Manly but if you leave it until October then you may find finding a decent unit hard work. Good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 8:55 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there

Thanks for your help

SS
Ditto hedgehog-girl's comments.

If you look ~15-20 minutes' walking distance from central Manly, you'll find much better value - especially if you forego any sea views. Try Fairlight (~15 minutes' walk), or Balgowlah (~20 minutes' walk). Manly Vale is also cheaper, but not so nice. If you want to be closer to the sea and are willing to commute further, try Dee Why - although the main transport link into Sydney is by road, which can be very busy during main commute times.
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:23 am
aussie73

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Ditto hedgehog-girl's comments.

If you look ~15-20 minutes' walking distance from central Manly, you'll find much better value - especially if you forego any sea views. Try Fairlight (~15 minutes' walk), or Balgowlah (~20 minutes' walk). Manly Vale is also cheaper, but not so nice. If you want to be closer to the sea and are willing to commute further, try Dee Why - although the main transport link into Sydney is by road, which can be very busy during main commute times.
Sounds like you miss the old place Mike, do you have plans to move back?

Last edited by aussie73; Jul 24th 2005 at 9:29 am.

Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussie73
Sounds like you miss the old place Mike, do you have plans to move back.
Strangely, no. We realised we did miss one thing; the $A10 steak at the pub/hotel at the Ivanhoe, in Manly corso. Still, doesn't seem like a good enough reason to return, does it?
Old Jul 24th 2005, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really niceSuperSeagulls is just really nice

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Hi...We live in Manly and it depends where you want to live as to how much it will be. We looked at loads before finding our perfect one, and for less that $400.00 we found that 90% were rubbish. I dont mean location but the state of the unit would be in a bad condition (i.e. decent rooms but bad kitchen or bathroom). If you are prepared to go a little bit further out of Manly town centre you can get some pretty good quality units, but we wanted to be within a 10 min walking distance of the ferry so ended up paying extra for it....I think there are bargains out there and now is the time to get one before all the holiday makers and backpackers flock to Manly but if you leave it until October then you may find finding a decent unit hard work. Good luck.
Hi

Thanks for the replies......I guess I will look to live a little walk out of Manly so as to be able to afford something decent, below $400 pw. I will be arriving next May so not for a while yet, and hopefully there will be some availability around then as winter approaches.

Hedgehog-girl : Do live in the centre of Manly and can I ask how much you pay? For a one or two bed unit? Do you have any hassle from the noise on the Corso? And how did you find settling into Manly life? I just got back from my validation trip and thought it was a great place.........I did check out Dee Why, but the commute could be a real issue bcause of the lack of transport out that way.

Thanks again

SS
Old Jul 24th 2005, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Alan&Sonia is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Manly when we first got here and had a tiny one bed unit overlooking the wharf. That was $290 pw. The location was excellent but we ended up having no space for visitors etc. We looked for ages for something else in Manly as we loved it, but you can't get anything descent for under $400 as others before have said. We live in Balgowlah now, we have a modern, freshly decorated unit with new kitchen and bathroom, a lock up garage and 2 bedrooms for $350 pw. It's a 20 min walk to Manly or less than 5 mins on the bus which is very regular. ($1.60 fare) or a cab for $8 if you have a night out in Manly. Looking back, it was noisy living in the centre, but you get used to it, it's a busy place. It is really quiet in our suburb and it feels more 'real'. I suggest you look at a website www.realestate.com.au we found our unit on it. You can register on the site so they will send you the latest units as soon as they come onto the market, you put in what you want, eg garage, view, etc.

Dee Why is a bit far from Manly. Look at Fairlight, North Manly, Manly Vale and Queenscliff as well. Queenscliff overlooks Manly.

Good luck - I am sure you will find something. Just let us know if you need any help - we know what it's like. All the best - Sonia and Alan

Hi

Thanks for the replies......I guess I will look to live a little walk out of Manly so as to be able to afford something decent, below $400 pw. I will be arriving next May so not for a while yet, and hopefully there will be some availability around then as winter approaches.

Hedgehog-girl : Do live in the centre of Manly and can I ask how much you pay? For a one or two bed unit? Do you have any hassle from the noise on the Corso? And how did you find settling into Manly life? I just got back from my validation trip and thought it was a great place.........I did check out Dee Why, but the commute could be a real issue bcause of the lack of transport out that way.

Thanks again

SS
Old Jul 25th 2005, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Sonia and Alan

Thats a great post, thansk for your advice. I began looking at Baglowah over the weekend. A 20 min walk to Manly each day to get the ferry to work would be fine I reckon, or you could cycle to the wharf.

Do buses allow you to take surfboards on them?

Cheers

SS
Old Jul 25th 2005, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Glad to help - yes you could cycle to the wharf but coming home could be hard unless you're extra fit, Balgowlah is at the top of a hill, through Fairlight - and can be hard to even walk up! I've not really noticed anywhere where you could lock up your bike though. And yes they do allow surfboards on the bus.

Just letting you know it was 23 degrees today - beaudddiful! (Great winter's day)

Hi Sonia and Alan

Thats a great post, thansk for your advice. I began looking at Baglowah over the weekend. A 20 min walk to Manly each day to get the ferry to work would be fine I reckon, or you could cycle to the wharf.

Do buses allow you to take surfboards on them?

Cheers

SS
Old Jul 26th 2005, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks A&S

By the way, 23 degrees today as well - a great Summer's day

SS
Old Jul 26th 2005, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

igual will become famous soon enoughigual will become famous soon enough

There are two bed places in manly and fairlight for around the $400 mark with sea views. We know three couples with these. You pay a lot more for parking and views. If you like surfing I can only advise that you move directly to manly. We now live 3 minutes from the beach and are far happier than when we were further out. It is very friendly, not too noisy (unless you live above a pub) and great fun. Most of the information you want will be on real estate or domain.
Nick ( slightly drunk having been in the ivanhoe.)
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi, I am a 10 minute walk from the corso, so luckily for me I don't get any of the noise or the drunks that come out at night but I do have a unit with an incredible view so I pay over $400.00 for a good sized 2 bedder
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Nick, good to hear you got to move to Monly - last time we saw you, you were trying to find a place. Glad to hear you're enjoying it -see at the next meet?

Sonia and Alan

Originally Posted by igual
There are two bed places in manly and fairlight for around the $400 mark with sea views. We know three couples with these. You pay a lot more for parking and views. If you like surfing I can only advise that you move directly to manly. We now live 3 minutes from the beach and are far happier than when we were further out. It is very friendly, not too noisy (unless you live above a pub) and great fun. Most of the information you want will be on real estate or domain.
Nick ( slightly drunk having been in the ivanhoe.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.