Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting Houses with pets

Renting Houses with pets

Old Dec 21st 2010, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

cazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nice
Default Renting Houses with pets

We reallly want to take our two small dogs to Australia with us, is there any ideas about a Rental agent who will takes pets?, We have found a house in Forde, but the agent will not allow pets! any ideas would be great
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:23 am
Account Closed

Indented Head is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting Houses with pets

Hi , I arrived in Australia 9 weeks ago with a Cocker Spaniel 4 weeks in Quarenden , not a nice experience very well cared for but its not nice saying good bye .

But its over now and he is happy at home , my rental is with CJ Keane , they allow outdoor dogs (garage). He spends all day in the garden and sleeps in the utility at nt night ? . Look for dark carpets that look a little shabby ? no one will know and I keep it clean and the dog is clean and when he is wet he drys in the garage.

Its his own choice in the garden all day ? its a battle to get him in at night.

Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

As a side point, be very careful of renting somewhere sight unseen. What looks good on the internet or photos rarely bears any relation to the actual property. However if someone you trust has checked it out for you ignore me.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

floss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant futurefloss in dubai has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
As a side point, be very careful of renting somewhere sight unseen. What looks good on the internet or photos rarely bears any relation to the actual property. However if someone you trust has checked it out for you ignore me.
It's not necessarily the agent who decided if you are allowed pets or not, it's the owner. It can be hard to find somewhere that will allow pets.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

cazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nicecazza36 is just really nice

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
yes We have someone over there looking for us, but like you have said it is hard to find a house which will take pets, but we will keep looking I have a quote to take them over £4000.00 for two min jack russells, and really cant bare to leave them
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:04 pm
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
I work as a rental agent and as has been said it is the property owner not agent that generally has the say in whether pets are ok or not.

A couple of small dogs, who are "outside" dogs - ie kept for the most part in the garden are generally considered ok in an unfurnished house that is neither pristine nor about to be sold. It gets more difficult with larger dogs. Suggest to ease your hassle factor you offer to clean the carpets at the end of your lease, and emphasise how quiet and well behaved the dogs are. Even if you plan on having the dogs inside for the most part, I would suggest you start off with the intention of keeping them outside.

Don't just search on "pets ok" either. Even is a property is suitable for pets, lots of agents don't bother ticking this - just ask if you see something you like.

However I would not try and secure somewhere without seeing it first. That plus the pets makes it more difficult for you to secure something. Much better to stay somewhere temporary first and hunt from there.

Good luck
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

We had no problems at all finding a rental house with pets (two cats). It was something I was very worried about in advance as I had heard it can be hard so we tackled it head on.

We put togetehr a pack of information about ourselves (all the checks etc) and then wrote a covering letter in which we explained we had two cats and although they are very clean animals we understood landlords can have concerns so we would be willing to pay a pet bond up front for landlords peace of mind. (We were not taken up on the offer).

Seemed to do the trick, of the 15 places we enquired about only two said no pets and one of those was just no cats, but dogs were ok.

Don't bother looking for "pet friendly" rentals, most just don't indicate it either way but it doesn't mean they won't consider pets.

There is absolutely no reason why you should have to look for a shabby property with dark carpets either. We certainly did not, we have a pristine, almost new house.

Like others, I do not recommend trying to identify your property from overseas and whomever you have looking over it might have totally different views to you, what if they commit to somewhere you don't like, it would be quite a test of friendship. Get some temporary accommodation and use the time the dogs are in quarantine to find the permanent place.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Dec 21st 2010 at 8:16 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to beholdFluid36 is a splendid one to behold

Its best to keep the fact you have pets quiet if you want to obtain a rental easily. When you have your six monthly inspections just put them in a kennel / cattery or give them to a friend.

Everyone does that here, it's all a bit tongue in cheek this no pet business.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Canberra is notoriously difficult with pets. It is difficult full stop and faced with a prospective occupant with pets and one without, all things considered, the landlord is going to go with the one without and this is very much a landlord's market at the moment. I am astonished that you would even get a rental from overseas, they usually like to see you in person (verify the number of heads etc). and often wont even bother talking to you unless you are in town. www.allhomes.com.au does have an advanced search function which flags those which say pets are OK. I totally agree with those who have said not to sign up for something sight unseen - the real estate sites rarely represent houses as they are in reality! And you need to check out the neighbours as well - if there are 3 rusty Holdens on the nature strip and a wheelie bin full of tins you probably wont be wanting to live there!

Last edited by quoll; Dec 21st 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old Dec 21st 2010, 11:59 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

try http://www.petfriendlyrentals.com.au/
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 2:19 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Cazza,

Try Golden Arrow in Shropshire for shipping your dogs, we used them and not only were they cheaper than most, they were excellent in looking after my staffie, even rang me in Oz to give me an update before she flew.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Laights
Hi Cazza,

Try Golden Arrow in Shropshire for shipping your dogs, we used them and not only were they cheaper than most, they were excellent in looking after my staffie, even rang me in Oz to give me an update before she flew.
Thank you for all your comments!! I will try some of the web sites that you have recommended, We do have a rental in Forde, but its a new 4 bed house ( the commany that we are going to work for has found it for us!), but not allowed dogs, it did say "pets allowed" in the advert but now they are saying no! We are paying $630 dollars a week, so maybe we will look elsewhere
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:08 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fluid36
Its best to keep the fact you have pets quiet if you want to obtain a rental easily. When you have your six monthly inspections just put them in a kennel / cattery or give them to a friend.

Everyone does that here, it's all a bit tongue in cheek this no pet business.
and then someone like my mother with severe allergies moves in after you move out and has to live extremely ill because you decided not to respect the home owners' rules. What a stupid stupid suggestion for the OP.
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
and then someone like my mother with severe allergies moves in after you move out and has to live extremely ill because you decided not to respect the home owners' rules. What a stupid stupid suggestion for the OP.
No I intend to find a house which is pet friendly, and do things right as its only fair to the owners of the house
Old Dec 22nd 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.