Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting house out + Will

Renting house out + Will

Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:23 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Renting house out + Will

Hi

What do I need to put in to my British will?
Do I even need a British will?
Can I include the UK house in my Aussie will?

Will my current UK life / mortgage cover UK mortgage when I move?
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

kanjig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renting house out + Will

I'm moving to Perth at the end of September with my wife and two children. One of the things on my list of things to do was sort out wills.
These are now done and its a great pressure of both our heads. Our solicitor confirmed that the will covers our UK property and will also include any estate we have in Australia as they are part of the commonwealth.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 2:42 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Hi

1. See answer to question #2.
2. If the U.K. will accept an Australian will over U.K. assets, maybe not.
3. See answer to question #2.
4. Unless the policy terms allow them to revoke coverage, they have no choice.
Old Jul 29th 2008, 3:04 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkMC
Hi

We have UK Wills and I have been advised to get Australian Wills done as the UK ones may not be accepted fully.

I have just transferred all my UK Pensions into Australian Super.
This may be helpful to someone...... If you die with a UK pension the money goes to the Pension fund/company. If you die with the money in Australian Super, the entire money will go to you wife of the beneficiary named in your will. If your wife also dies, the money goes to your estate (kids)... much fairer than the UK system in my opinion.

Neil.
Old Jul 31st 2008, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

foreveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura aboutforeveryoung1 has a spectacular aura about

Hi, i'm also interested in this as i am under the impression that you can only have one valid will regardless of which country you are in.

It would seem to make more sense if the bulk or all of your assets are in Australia to have your last will drawn up there.

I would imagine that the complications will arise if you leave assets behind that fall under uk tax law in some way.

Has anyone experienced any problems having had a will drawn up the wrong way or in the wrong country?
Old Jul 31st 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
If you die with a UK pension the money goes to the Pension fund/company.
That's rather misleading. If you are drawing a pension in the UK, having taken out an annuity, that's true. Basically you have bought a right to income, which you only get if you are alive! Even then, you can chose an annuity which gives a pension to your widow(er).

If you have not yet drawn your pension (as you obviously have not if you are in a position to transfer it), your estate would inherit your pension pot (or it might go straight to your beneficiaries if written in trust). Whether it/they would get a refund of contributions or the value of the pension pot varies from policy to policy but the latter is usual.