Reload this Page >

renting furniture

renting furniture

Old Jul 17th 2003, 8:57 am
jaz
Forum Regular

jaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renting furniture

Does anyone have any experience in renting furniture such as fridge, washer and setees in Australia. Would appreciate any links to sites.

We have accepted an offer on the house. Quick sale by the sounds of it. No chain. Both of us have solicitors on the job, so get those fingers crossed for us. We've been let down once, but this time it looks better.

Also, has anyone rented a property over the internet before arrival. I know that it is not ideal, but since funds are very limited, and we have no friends or family in Adelaide we can't see a way round it. Some estate agents are prepared to do it that way.

Would also like to know how many people use this website from work. My husband does, I can see you all sitting there wishing you were in Oz.

Let me know if you have any ideas or links or anything,

thanks
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:03 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: renting furniture

Originally posted by jaz
Does anyone have any experience in renting furniture such as fridge, washer and setees in Australia. Would appreciate any links to sites.

We have accepted an offer on the house. Quick sale by the sounds of it. No chain. Both of us have solicitors on the job, so get those fingers crossed for us. We've been let down once, but this time it looks better.

Also, has anyone rented a property over the internet before arrival. I know that it is not ideal, but since funds are very limited, and we have no friends or family in Adelaide we can't see a way round it. Some estate agents are prepared to do it that way.

Would also like to know how many people use this website from work. My husband does, I can see you all sitting there wishing you were in Oz.

Let me know if you have any ideas or links or anything,

thanks
Hi

If you are moving to Adelaide then you should qualify for the On Arrival Accomodation. This is a short term lease (max three months) which is designed for new migrants. I have heard the condition of the properties is not always that great, but it will give you somewhere to go when you get off the plane and allow you to live somewhere (furnished) whilst you are lookignt o buy, or for a longer term let.

The SA immigration website with all details is http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/site/index.cfm.

Good luck with your move

Mel
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:11 am
jaz
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply, but as far as I can understand it we do not qualify for the accom because we are using a spouses visa, and I am an Australian citizen by birth - even though my family live here in the UK!

I you know different please let me know
Old Jul 17th 2003, 9:43 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by jaz
Thanks for the reply, but as far as I can understand it we do not qualify for the accom because we are using a spouses visa, and I am an Australian citizen by birth - even though my family live here in the UK!

I you know different please let me know
I suspect you may be right then.

I would suggest booking holiday type accomodation for the first few weeks. This should give you time enought to sort out longer term accomodation without having to comit to a long term let over the net.

When are you arriving in Adelaide? We should arrive early November.

Mel
Old Jul 17th 2003, 11:12 am
jaz
Forum Regular

We could be arriving as early as September, but it may be October. It is just a case of wait and see for a couple more weeks. You seem to be waiting and waiting and you know that you have got loads to do when you get a completion date. I just can't wait to get started.

Do you have family or friends in Adelaide?

Do you know which areas you like the sound of yet etc?
Old Jul 17th 2003, 11:56 am
Hussy

Originally posted by jaz
We could be arriving as early as September, but it may be October. It is just a case of wait and see for a couple more weeks. You seem to be waiting and waiting and you know that you have got loads to do when you get a completion date. I just can't wait to get started.

Do you have family or friends in Adelaide?

Do you know which areas you like the sound of yet etc?
We are arriving in Australia on October 1st but will be staying in the Melbourne area for the first month to be near our dog who will be quarantined there. We do know a couple in Adelaide, (not close friends but they have offered to show us around).

We are going into the On Arrival accomodation to start with, and thenplan to rent for 6 months to give us the chance to look around and pick an area we would like to live in.

Have you chosen an area of Adelaide yet?

Mel