Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting / council Tax ??

Renting / council Tax ??

Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:17 am
Just Joined

TD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really niceTD63 is just really nice
Default Renting / council Tax ??

If you are renting a property are you still accountable for council tax, ( if exist in OZ or is this inc in the cost of the rent)? or are the bills ,the normal utilities, gas , water, elecy and possibly pool maintainance.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:33 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Renting / council Tax ??

Originally Posted by TD63
If you are renting a property are you still accountable for council tax, ( if exist in OZ or is this inc in the cost of the rent)? or are the bills ,the normal utilities, gas , water, elecy and possibly pool maintainance.
No Council rates in Australia for the tenant. The kind landlord pays that

Most of the water is also paid by the Landlord, and often the pool maintenance aswell. You pay Gas, Electric, phone, personal contents insurance.

Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:46 pm
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No Council rates in Australia for the tenant. The kind landlord pays that

Most of the water is also paid by the Landlord, and often the pool maintenance aswell. You pay Gas, Electric, phone, personal contents insurance.
Check your rental agreement, often water usage is not included in NSW. Especially if you are on a water meter.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
Check your rental agreement, often water usage is not included in NSW. Especially if you are on a water meter.
No water bills for me in a unit in Sydney. Only electric, gas, phone, contents insurance etc.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

I pay the water rates and Im in WA. Also pay gas and elec but thats it.

Gems
Old Feb 11th 2010, 12:57 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markbhx
No water bills for me in a unit in Sydney. Only electric, gas, phone, contents insurance etc.
As I said it depends on your agreement. I didn't pay for water when I rented a unit, but do for my current house.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:35 am
ABCDiamond

As an example of a water rates charge, the quarterly water bill may be something like:

$ 25.38 Water Service
$125.27 Sewerage Charge
$187.00 Water Usage (100kLs at $1.87 per kL)

$337.65 Total

But the Tenant would only pay the water usage, ie: $187 in that example.

If there is no individual water meter, the water cannot be measured and therefore cannot be charged, as far as I am aware.

Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

We pay the water usage, but typically it is around $30 per qtr only

My guess with $187 you have a pool ?

Stu
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

If there is a pool, check if the maintenance is included in that. If not you will be responsible for looking after it which will cost you time and money every month. And if it's not sparkling clean when you leave you will get hammered for the cost of someone coming in to clean it.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Stu Ward
We pay the water usage, but typically it is around $30 per qtr only

My guess with $187 you have a pool ?

Stu
I estimated the 100kls, based on 200 litres per person per day for 5 people.
Then rounded it up to 100kLs per qtr for ease of multiplying by $1.87

I am actually aware of a 130Kl usage down in Sydney, with NO pool !

Our own recent usage was 57 kLs with a pool, 208 litres per person per day.