Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in Cairns short-term

Renting in Cairns short-term

Old Jun 25th 2007, 3:19 pm
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice
Default Renting in Cairns short-term

Hiya

I was after some advice about renting in Cairns. We're hoping to buy as soon as physically possible on moving over so we're hoping to only rent for a short time, perhaps 2-3 months. Does anyone know if you can rent somewhere on a short-term basis and be able to get out of it early? There is just me and hubby and not that bothered where it is. Would it be better just to stay in a backpackers or caravan site? Whichever is cheapest!

Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:02 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting in Cairns short-term

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Hiya

I was after some advice about renting in Cairns. We're hoping to buy as soon as physically possible on moving over so we're hoping to only rent for a short time, perhaps 2-3 months. Does anyone know if you can rent somewhere on a short-term basis and be able to get out of it early? There is just me and hubby and not that bothered where it is. Would it be better just to stay in a backpackers or caravan site? Whichever is cheapest!

Thanks in advance!

a few of the resorts do short term leases ( 3 months). the lakes resort being one. cost for 2 bed unit is $420 a week.i was talking to a bloke the other week who was hoping to move in there until he got sorted.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:13 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by youngy73
a few of the resorts do short term leases ( 3 months). the lakes resort being one. cost for 2 bed unit is $420 a week.i was talking to a bloke the other week who was hoping to move in there until he got sorted.
what is the usual term of a rental contract? is it 6 or 12 months?

Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

boyz119 will become famous soon enoughboyz119 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse

hiya,

have you seen

www.realestate.com.au

www.domain.com.au

most appear to be for 12 months, dunno if you can negotiate, maybe you can let us know, when you've sorted yours
Old Jun 26th 2007, 8:35 am

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

Wow that's a good price for Lakes Resort they quoted me $180 per night for a one bed apartment! Did he go to them direct and say it would be for 3 months? Don't suppose you know of anywhere else that offers 2-3 months rental opportunities?

ps youngy73 we owe you a beer!
Old Jun 26th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Usually 6 months but with the shortage of rentals some landlords may expect 12 months.

I have seen "For rent" signs going up which I dont remember seeing before.

WW
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:01 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's a good price for Lakes Resort they quoted me $180 per night for a one bed apartment! Did he go to them direct and say it would be for 3 months? Don't suppose you know of anywhere else that offers 2-3 months rental opportunities?

ps youngy73 we owe you a beer!
this bloke (steve) was trying to get it for longer but they said they usually only do them for 3 then you can renew. its ideal because its in town and has all the amenities. most of the resorts/ unit complexes are open to negotiation and as all these units are privately owned some owners actually prefer the gauranteed income especially in the quieter months (nov to may). a lot of the longer term rentals are advertised in the weekend post and would not be on the big websites. you just have to do the legwork when you arrive. $180 a night would be there normal rate.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:03 am

this bloke (steve) was trying to get it for longer but they said they usually only do them for 3 then you can renew. its ideal because its in town and has all the amenities. most of the resorts/ unit complexes are open to negotiation and as all these units are privately owned some owners actually prefer the gauranteed income especially in the quieter months (nov to may). a lot of the longer term rentals are advertised in the weekend post and would not be on the big websites. you just have to do the legwork when you arrive. $180 a night would be there normal rate.
Thanks youngy73
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:04 am

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
Usually 6 months but with the shortage of rentals some landlords may expect 12 months.

I have seen "For rent" signs going up which I dont remember seeing before.

WW
Thanks WW

Sorry to hijack your thread Ruthy but I'm stressing about not having any landlord references as we have a mortgage here in the UK, does anyone know what i can use instead...I've got mortgage statements and a couple of people will give character refs if necessary but I don't have any written refs to take with me...will this be a problem
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:09 am

Thanks WW

Sorry to hijack your thread Ruthy but I'm stressing about not having any landlord references as we have a mortgage here in the UK, does anyone know what i can use instead...I've got mortgage statements and a couple of people will give character refs if necessary but I don't have any written refs to take with me...will this be a problem
The more the merrier wannabauzzienurse!

We're in the same position re: landlord references. We were hoping to not need them and not 'rent' so to speak, we're happy to pay upfront which I've heard helps with these kind of things! We just want somewhere cheap and cheerful until we can get a mortgage and buy which we're hoping won't be too long. I've looked and its hard to find places with short term rents so might stay in a backpackers for the short term as we've done that before! Not bad amenities and cheap rent! What are your plans?
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:12 am
youngy73

Thanks WW

its a formality. dont worry about references. just bring some bank statements to show you can pay the rent and get a lettter from the hospital to say your employed and youll be fine.
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:18 am

The more the merrier wannabauzzienurse!

We're in the same position re: landlord references. We were hoping to not need them and not 'rent' so to speak, we're happy to pay upfront which I've heard helps with these kind of things! We just want somewhere cheap and cheerful until we can get a mortgage and buy which we're hoping won't be too long. I've looked and its hard to find places with short term rents so might stay in a backpackers for the short term as we've done that before! Not bad amenities and cheap rent! What are your plans?
Hi Ruthy, I fly tomorrow alone while my husband stays here with the kids to sell our house, until thats sold we don't have much cash so I'm not in a position to offer a lot of money upfront. I originally was looking for a rental house 3 beds out in the suburbs that we could call home for a year or so till we're in a position to buy again but now I'm thinking keep it simple and get a unit/apartment near to the hospital especially as I won't have a car at first, as long as it's got 2 bedrooms we'll all be able to squeeze in once my family arrive and we can start looking for something to buy
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:20 am

its a formality. dont worry about references. just bring some bank statements to show you can pay the rent and get a lettter from the hospital to say your employed and youll be fine.
Thanks youngy think I've definately got last minute jitters
Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:28 am

Hi Ruthy, I fly tomorrow alone while my husband stays here with the kids to sell our house, until thats sold we don't have much cash so I'm not in a position to offer a lot of money upfront. I originally was looking for a rental house 3 beds out in the suburbs that we could call home for a year or so till we're in a position to buy again but now I'm thinking keep it simple and get a unit/apartment near to the hospital especially as I won't have a car at first, as long as it's got 2 bedrooms we'll all be able to squeeze in once my family arrive and we can start looking for something to buy
Good luck wannabauzzienurse that's really exciting that you're off tomorrow. Do you have somewhere sorted to stay for your first few days? The backpackers are very good quality especially Gilligan's whihc is right in the centre and should help you settle in for your first few days when you can get yourself round the estate agents, there are loads of 12 months rents according to realestate.com but I guess you'll know more when you get there. Wishing you loads of luck and happiness in your new life and hopefully your family will be close behind you. #

Old Jun 26th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

You should be able to find an apartment in North Cairns which is within easy cycle/walking distance to Cairns Base Hosp.

WW

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.