Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renting or buying

renting or buying

Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough
Default renting or buying

Just trying to find out what most people are thinking of doing when they first arrive, rent or buy straight away.
If renting do you think there are places that will accept cats, and would you rent furnished adn keep your stuff stored or rent unfurnished put your stuff ina dn then move it again when you buy.

Vicky
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:53 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: renting or buying

Hi vicky,

have you considered sharing a house?
It's another alternative.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by markeh
Hi vicky,

have you considered sharing a house?
It's another alternative.

Bye
Markeh
Old Nov 15th 2003, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

guess we would if we knew someone there, however we are trying to consider what's best for the cat, not sure if rental places accept cats and we couln't buy until we got jobs fora mortgage.

Any one else trying to make these decisions?
Old Nov 15th 2003, 7:41 pm
Forum Regular

adelaidegirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Vicky. You will find that whilst a lot of landlords will not accept pets, there are still quite a few that do. You can help your case by offering to pay a pet bond, maybe a weeks rent, which the rental agent will hold during your tenancy. If your pet doesn't do any damage then you get your bond back when you move out. Some pet-friendly landlords also put a clause in the lease that you let off a fleabomb when you leave the house - this is very inexpensive, you can buy them at the supermarket. Hope this helps, adelaidegirl
Old Nov 15th 2003, 7:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by vickymills
Just trying to find out what most people are thinking of doing when they first arrive, rent or buy straight away.
If renting do you think there are places that will accept cats, and would you rent furnished adn keep your stuff stored or rent unfurnished put your stuff ina dn then move it again when you buy.

Vicky
Hi Vicky
We rented straight away. We knew that most properties here are sold by auction and that this can take a while to find the right property AND be successful in bidding at an auction. (As it happens, we are still renting and we have been here 18 months...but we haven't even tried to find a house to buy yet)

Our friends from UK rented with 2 cats no probs.

As for renting furnished or not, I think that you need to weigh up the storage costs against what it would cost to rent furnished. From what I have seen in Melbourne, there are far less furnished than unfurnished properties - in fact there is a big market in furniture hire here (all the rental agencies have leaflets for hiring furniture) but I 've no idea of the situation in Bris.

Good luck
HP
Old Nov 15th 2003, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point

When we arrived in Melbourne we found it quite difficult to rent because neither of us was working we did not have any Aus references, when we did find a place after viewing we liked we put in an application, but you might be in competion with half a dozen other people, they then go to the house owner who might sit on the applications for a week or so. We secured the place we got by paying 6 months rent up front, it tooks us 4 weeks from arriving to moving in. Albeit a 3 bed house if your looking for somthing smaller it should be easier.I not sure what the Aus culture is on cats you don't see many around
David
Old Nov 15th 2003, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

thanks for your comments, it's so hard deciding what to do !

the advice is greatly appeciated
Old Nov 15th 2003, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Davenshell
When we arrived in Melbourne we found it quite difficult to rent because neither of us was working we did not have any Aus references, when we did find a place after viewing we liked we put in an application, but you might be in competion with half a dozen other people, they then go to the house owner who might sit on the applications for a week or so. We secured the place we got by paying 6 months rent up front, it tooks us 4 weeks from arriving to moving in. Albeit a 3 bed house if your looking for somthing smaller it should be easier.I not sure what the Aus culture is on cats you don't see many around
David
Hi again
Sorry to hear you had so much trouble Davenshell. I'd just like to add my experience and that was that we found a 3-bed house in 2 days, got accepted in 24 hrs and were able to move in when we like (as the property was vacant). We didn't need to provide references (we didn't have any or a job) but we did provide a bank statement to show that we had funds. We offered to pay 6 months up front for good measure but they said it wasn't necessary.

I guess it is different for everyone and we were lucky on this occasion.

Where in Melbourne are you?
Old Nov 15th 2003, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

We plan on renting upon arrival.Having always thought renting was " dead money" i kind of surprised myself with this decision but due to us not knowing the area or the people it seems the sensible thing to do,that way we are not tied to one area and if the job front goes pear-shaped we'll still have options.
Main priorities are jobs,property and then land with a view to build later.
We are not planning on taking much with us as most of our belongings is getting old now anyway so we are not fussed as to whether furnished or not, if it's furnished (as stated by somebody on a previous post ) you end up paying for that too in your rent.If it's un-furnished we'll buy second hand essentials and wait 'till we have sourced better quality at decent prices ( no rush ).

Have also been searching various websites with regard to property and found quite a few that state " pets allowed " so although you may be limited in which properties you can have they are certainly available ( however,they don't say WHAT pets, so this may be worth looking into if you plan on taking an elephant etc lol )

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Nov 16th 2003, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Davenshell is an unknown quantity at this point

hi hiddenpaw I'm in Edithvale and a very nice place it is to we also showed them bank statements I had opened a bank account 2 yrs previously it seemed it was the house owners final descion, and some are keen to let straight away or are not in to much of a hurry.My wife even had a interview with the house owner as well as the real estate agent's. perhaps they were worried who they let their house to i suppose now this was not normal?
David
Old Nov 16th 2003, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Paul and Ann

Guess we have similar thoughts to you, when do you plan to go?
We expect this time next year.

Vicky