Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting in brisbane

Renting in brisbane

Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default Renting in brisbane

Hello

I'm starting to panic a little. We arrive Brisbane March 11th with approx £7000.

Neither of us have jobs lined up yet, were both not too fussy about what we do initially though.

I was thinking maybe temping would be a good idea until we got our heads around brisbane and the job market, where we want to live etc

We have one months fully furnished booked but now im stressed

Would we be able to get a rental before we have found work or with only temp work lined up?

What if we offfered 3 months up front rent, would this help?

Or should we concentrate on getting a perm job before even looking for a rental.

think im having a panic attack arghhh

Thanks

Laura
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:33 am
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting in brisbane

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hello

I'm starting to panic a little. We arrive Brisbane March 11th with approx £7000.

Neither of us have jobs lined up yet, were both not too fussy about what we do initially though.

I was thinking maybe temping would be a good idea until we got our heads around brisbane and the job market, where we want to live etc

Would we be able to get a rental before we have found work or with only temp work lined up?

Or should we concentrate on getting a perm job before even looking for a rental.

Thanks

Laura

No need to panic. Just proving you have 3 months rent money in your bank account is usually enough to get a place. Check www.seqrents.com.au for a searchable listing of all (most) the townhouse complexes in Brisbane.
Old Feb 7th 2006, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

Thanks that makes me feel a little better, I think the enormity of migrating across the other side of the world is finally hitting me :scared:
Old Feb 7th 2006, 12:00 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mongrol
No need to panic. Just proving you have 3 months rent money in your bank account is usually enough to get a place. Check www.seqrents.com.au for a searchable listing of all (most) the townhouse complexes in Brisbane.
hey thanks for that i`ll bookmark it for later

regards steve
Old Feb 7th 2006, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

ex-GLOS will become famous soon enoughex-GLOS will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steve`o
hey thanks for that i`ll bookmark it for later

regards steve
We found www.realestate.com.au really good. You still have to keep going around to get updated lists from individual agents because their own lists update slightly faster. We hope to move into our rental about the time you arrive. Good Luck!
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

hi laura
not long for you now is it,we didnt have jobs when we first rented our house and we offered 6 months rent up front but they didnt want it we had no problem getting a rental.
One thing i will say to anyone about to sign up for a rental though is that when you get your keys you get a list of things that are supposed to have been done like cleaning of windows ect,and your given 48 hrs to either agree or disagree with whats been writen down,when we got ours we added a few things that we thought were rather dirty,like curtains for instance,they were very grubby but the agent hadnt noticed when she had done the check,so we wrote them down and that was fine,but its not till you ve been there a few days that you start to notice other things that may be either dirty or damaged,i think we were a bit green round the edges never having rented before,we just cleaned the things that we thought needed doing ourselves,but it wasnt until we moved out 6 months down the line that we were given another list of cleaning that we had to do before we handed over the keys,this list was far more thorough than the list we got when we moved in,we had loades more cleaning to do than had been done for us when we moved in,if i were to rent again i would asked for the list of cleaning we have to do when we move out, as soon as we move in, so you check that list and make sure you ve only got to clean your own mess up rather than that the previous occupant left behind, i think if you get this you ll find it much easier to get your bond back when the time comes.

tracey
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Neil & Shell will become famous soon enough

Hello

Thanks

Laura
Hi Laura

No need to panic too much!

We used realestate website before coming out and they seemed to have loads of rentals but when we arrived there was very little available straight away.

In my opinion you are better off driving around the areas you like and visit the local estate agents for their daily lists of available rentals.

In our experience, the landlords all wanted employers references. We offered to pay up to 6 months in advance but they would not let us (crazy!) One landlord refused our application because I had only been working 3 weeks!

We also found that when we were viewing rentals there could be 3 or 4 other people viewing at the same time.

I do think we hit it at a busy time as we arrived 3 Dec 2005 and wanted to be in somewhere by Christmas. We did achieve this and found somewhere on 17th Dec in Morningside.

It was then the fun began trying to get a telephone, internet and electricity account with no Australian credit rating record! We had to do the Australian written driving test straight away to help with the 'points test' for credit rating.

Anyway, this is our experience only, others might be different.

Good luck and see you soon

Shell
Old Feb 7th 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

[hi tracey,

how you doing?? nice to hear from you, not chatted for ages! i take it things are still good for you and the family?

things are starting to happen for us this month, back to court, meds etc!
having valuers round next week!!

fed up at the mo, kids really p****** me off big style and i can just do without it!

i'd be interested to know how people go about arranging accomadation before they arrive! i know the dagboys do something, any other info greatfully recieved.

fed up of drinkies by the pool yet?
Old Feb 7th 2006, 10:53 pm

Scotty123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think we are just going to get a hotel for a couple of weeks whilst searching for a decent rentable property when we arrive which is in 1 month woohoo
Old Feb 8th 2006, 7:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks guys you have eased my worrying loads, love this site. hopefully meet you tracey & shell at a meet one day soon.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute

h debbie
glad to hear things are moving for you at long last,whereabouts are you thinking of staying when you get here,then i ll ask around for you for accomadation just let me know mate.

hi laura,yes would love to meet you at long last look forward to it.

tracey
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scissors
h debbie
glad to hear things are moving for you at long last,whereabouts are you thinking of staying when you get here,then i ll ask around for you for accomadation just let me know mate.

hi laura,yes would love to meet you at long last look forward to it.

tracey
tracey that would be great if you could do that for us nearer the time! still hoping for august but who knows!

looking at brissie to start and more long term i think maroochydore????

just got in from work didnt sleep last night so gonna have 40 winks

chat soon mate

debs xx
Old Feb 9th 2006, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Sun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really niceSun n Surf is just really nice

Hello

Thanks

Laura
Laura we haven't got there yet but I have been looking at rental properties on Domain.au. It's a really good web site for both rental and buying properties. Their web address is http://www.domain.com.au/

Cheers
Old Feb 9th 2006, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sun n Surf
Laura we haven't got there yet but I have been looking at rental properties on Domain.au. It's a really good web site for both rental and buying properties. Their web address is http://www.domain.com.au/

Cheers
Thanks for that, makes a change from trawling through realestate.com.au seriously I can spend hours on there its very sad
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

thepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nicethepomandozzy is just really nice

Thanks for that, makes a change from trawling through realestate.com.au seriously I can spend hours on there its very sad
Hi Laura

I am glad i am not the only one who spends hours on realestate.com.au, John thinks i am quite sad for spending that amount of time day dreaming LOL.

Bet you can't wait to get on that plane....we are getting closer to getting our stuff together now, hopefully John will be going for his medicals etc end of March then we can get it all in. Keep in touch and hopefully we will meet up with you all at the later part of the year in bris.

Tracey (also known as thepominlaw)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.