Reload this Page >

Renting before arrival

Renting before arrival

Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

jarv is on a distinguished road
Default Renting before arrival

Hi
We are hoping to rent a place in Brisbane before we arrive, does anyone know if this is possible.
I have never rented before and was wondering about references and deposits etc etc.
It would be better to have a permanent house upon arrival rather than a motel for a couple of weeks I think.
If anyone knows of anyone who has done this I would love to know.

Cheers

Dave
Old Feb 14th 2005, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting before arrival

Originally Posted by jarv
Hi
We are hoping to rent a place in Brisbane before we arrive, does anyone know if this is possible.
I have never rented before and was wondering about references and deposits etc etc.
It would be better to have a permanent house upon arrival rather than a motel for a couple of weeks I think.
If anyone knows of anyone who has done this I would love to know.

Cheers

Dave
hi dave,

if you search under real estate agents and then email them, they will give you all the info you need.
ive been in touch with a few and they seem to think that getting it all sorted before arrival is no problem. obviously others may have different experiences but the ones ive been in touch with have been very helpful, also see if you can get a few friends to view the properties for you and send the pics, lots of lovely peeps on the forum who may oblige if you ask.
good luck

Trish
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:08 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

No way I would be renting before I arrived , apart from the fact that you havent seen the house (some of the rentals are :scared: ) & dont know the area, you quite often have to take a house when its available which means that unless you are willing to risk doing the rental at the last minute (when you are mega stressed) & therefore having to pay rent from the day that you accept it, you will risk not getting anything (some places you have to "compete" with other renters for the property) & end up in Brisbane airport without a clue where you can stay. Besides which, the house will be empty, how would you stay there with absolutely no furniture?

Better to stay in a motel even if only for a day or 2 to get your bearings & check some houses out
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:29 pm
paradise in the redlands

neil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really niceneil.b is just really nice

Dave,
Have a look at the link and tell me what you think. May be worth considering. I know we are keeping this option open.

www.seqrents.com.au/rental/index.htm

Neil
Old Feb 14th 2005, 9:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at this site:

http://www.seqrents.com.au/

There's quiet a selection of long and short term rental. Many of the short term accomodations are furnished and would be suitable for the first couple of weeks while you sort out long term rental. When we came out last year, we planned on renting a fully-furnished apartment near the city for 2 weeks, but ended up staying for 6 while we were looking for a house to buy.

I agree with Mrs D that it's best if you check out the long term rental places and the areas yourself, before signing any contract because you are tied down for at least 6 months and most places aren't furnished. Some places look better on the web than they do in real life.

What you can do is book a short term furnished place for the first week or two, and at the same time email the long term rental places / real estate agents and arrange for inspection for when you arrive.

Good luck,
Mrs JTL