Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renting on Arrival - Documents / Proof Needed

Renting on Arrival - Documents / Proof Needed

Old Aug 14th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

BrisbaneBound2008 will become famous soon enough
Default Renting on Arrival - Documents / Proof Needed

Does anyone know what information is needed to give real estate agents when initially renting in Oz? We don't formally rent at the moment but can get a reference of sorts, also bank references and credit card proof of payments etc. Is this the sort of thing we'll need to give as we'll have just landed and will have no credit rating etc. How long does it take to rent somewhere from landing? trying to think of where to stay when we first arrive.

Would be great to get some advice from anyone who has experience of this!

Thanks!
Old Aug 14th 2007, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

fontii will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renting on Arrival - Documents / Proof Needed

Yeah most will ask you for 100 points of ID. This could consist of passport, drivers licence, bank statements, utility bills, etc plus references from previous landlords. Not exactly sure how the points are broken down though.

The best site I've been looking at is realestate.com.au and look under the rentals section.

Hope this helps
Old Aug 15th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fontii
Yeah most will ask you for 100 points of ID. This could consist of passport, drivers licence, bank statements, utility bills, etc plus references from previous landlords. Not exactly sure how the points are broken down though.

The best site I've been looking at is realestate.com.au and look under the rentals section.

Hope this helps
Not too sure if it's the same elsewhere......... but here in Perth rentals are at a premium and they are averaging from 9 to as many as 15 viewings as soon as a new rental becomes available?

Competition is rife so you will need to impress both the letting agent...... and the landlord. If you haven't rented before....... bring with you character references, pay slips, and anything that will help prove you are an all time good guy/gal who pays bills on time.

At the end of the day it is the landlord that makes the decision....... but it won't do you any harm to try get onside with the letting agent. Clients of mine here in Perth received several knock-backs after I sold their place in Carramar.......... to swing it their way I invited the letting agent to inspect the property they were vacating........ she was too busy to do that so i furnished her with a feature sheet pitch on the property and gave my vendors a reference. That did the trick!!! Landlords who knocked them back deserve to get the vendors from Hell because these people were ideal first class tenants!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to beholdRosscarbery is a splendid one to behold

All we showed were our passports with 136 visas in them and OH had a letter from his employer offering him a job. We had never rented before so had no references. We had heard nightmare stories about making applications for rentals and having to argue your case; we offered $100 a week less than what the guy wanted and were accepted straight away (we're in Sydney by the way and there's a real shortage of rentals). All I'm trying to say is gather together whatever you can but don't get too stressed about it.
Old Aug 15th 2007, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Everyone - great help, especially as never thoguht about character references etc!
Old Aug 15th 2007, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Hi Brisbane bound - we're heading that way too in six weeks (well, Sunshine Coast), and we're in Hertfordshire! Whereabouts are you? We've just rented by e-mail. Not quite as stupid as you might think. It's just around the corner from where we're building, so I know the exact location and have been sent lots of pictures by the agent.... It's a new house, so not too risky (we hope...)
We had to provide passport copies, driving licences, the name of the builder we were building with and as we've never rented before, proof that we currently own a property. They also wanted to see some proof of income, but obviously nothing from Australia as we aren't there yet. But we wouldn't have done it if we hadn't been as sure as we can be what we're getting...
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kegsta
Hi Brisbane bound - we're heading that way too in six weeks (well, Sunshine Coast), and we're in Hertfordshire! Whereabouts are you? We've just rented by e-mail. Not quite as stupid as you might think. It's just around the corner from where we're building, so I know the exact location and have been sent lots of pictures by the agent.... It's a new house, so not too risky (we hope...)
We had to provide passport copies, driving licences, the name of the builder we were building with and as we've never rented before, proof that we currently own a property. They also wanted to see some proof of income, but obviously nothing from Australia as we aren't there yet. But we wouldn't have done it if we hadn't been as sure as we can be what we're getting...
Hiya - oooh, we went to the sunshine coast for the first time this May - its beautiful! 6weeks- I'm so jealous!!!! Where abouts are you building? Did you choose everything from over here? or did you take a trip to start the process off first?

We are keen to build at some point, but just keep thinking it may be best to buy an affordable house that will of course be way better than the 1bed annexe we live in now - going there so hubby can have an easier life (he's a builder) and not have to work so hard so this makes sense - but some of the houses you can build are fantastic and would you wouldn't hink twice about it here if they cost the same as over there!! Might be something we do in the future (once he's sussed out different building regs etc) - but things change quickly and we'll see what happens when we get there!

Not sure about renting by email - we'll stay with my Auntie for a few days and try to sort something sharpish when we get out there!

So where in Herts are you? We're in a village near St Albans - soooooo can't wait to get to Brisbane!!!!!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BrisbaneBound2008
Hiya - oooh, we went to the sunshine coast for the first time this May - its beautiful! 6weeks- I'm so jealous!!!! Where abouts are you building? Did you choose everything from over here? or did you take a trip to start the process off first?

We are keen to build at some point, but just keep thinking it may be best to buy an affordable house that will of course be way better than the 1bed annexe we live in now - going there so hubby can have an easier life (he's a builder) and not have to work so hard so this makes sense - but some of the houses you can build are fantastic and would you wouldn't hink twice about it here if they cost the same as over there!! Might be something we do in the future (once he's sussed out different building regs etc) - but things change quickly and we'll see what happens when we get there!

Not sure about renting by email - we'll stay with my Auntie for a few days and try to sort something sharpish when we get out there!

So where in Herts are you? We're in a village near St Albans - soooooo can't wait to get to Brisbane!!!!!
Got this from an estate agent - might be of use to someone else. I did ask about not having any payslips as proof of income (as we want to rent before we get jobs) - i asked if proof of lots of $ in the bank would be ok and she said it would just need discussing when we apply - I can't see they would have a problem - fingers crossed!

Identification
Each applicant is required to provide a minimum of 100 points of identification using the following as a guideline. The provided identification must be photocopied by you outside the office – we do not photocopy.

Photo ID (driver’s licence, passport, 18+ card) 40 points
Proof of Income 30 points
Copy Birth Certificate 40 points
Health Care / Pension Card 40 points
Medicare Card 25 points
Recent Utilities Account 10 points
Current Car Registration 10 points

Applications will not be processed if Photo Identification is not provided. Photo Identification includes Driver’s Licence, Passport or 18+ Card.

Evidence of IncomeYou will be required to provide proof of current income. This can be in the form of a Pay Slip, Centrelink Income Statement or if self employed BAS statement or letter confirming from your accountant. The rent on the property must not exceed 30% of the applicant(s) verified income.

Tenancy Information Centre Australia (TICA)All applications are checked against data held by TICA. Applicant(s) must not have any outstanding listings on the database otherwise the application will be declined.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:07 pm
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

These are the forms used by most agents in queensland

http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/e_forms_for_tenants.cfm

You get a bond lodgement, entry condition, and contract on commencement.

Proving yourself is pretty hard as they don't tend to recognise UK bills etc. Medicare will take a week or two to get, and most people don't have an OZ wages slip.

Lots of proof, and possible rent advance is your best shot.
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for that - will try our best and failing that we might have to camp in Aunties garden for a while!!!
Old Aug 17th 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

kegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nicekegsta is just really nice

Hi BB - massage therapist eh? Now that's just what I need at the moment! We're in a village called Aldbury, about half an hour from you I guess. It's near Berkhamsted. We get our visa acceptance today, the e-mail arrived 5 mins before the removal men! We knew we would get it but it was a relief nevertheless...

Re building. Well, we were out there in Feb/Mar and worked out where we wanted to live in general. Then I went back for a recce in May/June, not particularly with the intention of buying but just to satisfy myself that it was really was the right decision.. But there was some land going right on the golf course at a new development about 20 mins south of Noosa and I couldn't resist. So bought the land, found a builder and basically designed what we wanted whilst I was there. The rest has been done by e-mail from the UK. The legal bit has been the messiest to be honest. And as we haven't yet sold here we've had to get a mortgage for the land, which was a bit fiddly, but totally doable. I definitely wouldn't recommend doing any of it from here if I hadn't already been there, met all the relevant people etc.

Do you have any kids? We have a four year old...
Old Aug 18th 2007, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

You must have been so busy with everything - I'm finding there's so much to do in any case let alone sorting builders and mortgages! We drove to Noosa in May - what a fantastic place - bet you can't wait to get out there! So if you're removal men have already been where will you stay for the next 6weeks??

Thats encouraging you were able to get a mortgage etc before you went. I agree, no way we'd start something before we get there, but good for you that you were able to - when should the building finish? Will you rent when you first get out there if building still taking place?
We don't have any kids yet - thought we'd wait so they can be real Aussies! I have 2 stepkids but they will stay here with their mum. 4's prob a good age to move -not to little and not too big.

Yeah, am sure Ian's done so work in Aldbury before now and Berko's not far at all. Such a small world! It does make me laugh that you say to anyone you are moving to Oz and they all know someone else who's doing it!

So what work will you guys do in whenyou get out there? Do you know people out there - family or friends?