Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

RENTING ADVICE - WORKING HOLIDAY VISA

RENTING ADVICE - WORKING HOLIDAY VISA

Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

ah5509 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RENTING ADVICE - WORKING HOLIDAY VISA

Myself and my partner are looking to go to Australia in January. Either Sydney, perth or Melbourne on a working holiday visa. my partners intention is to find a 457 sponsorship while were out there as he is a mechanic so should find one quite easily as most companies are offering onshore candidates priority. we are looking for advice regarding renting a place to stay for long term. we would be happy staying in different hotels but the problem is we are taking our cat and it is not an option to leave him behind. im having difficulty finding accommodation to rent long term and also finding a pet friendly place.

all information and advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:46 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RENTING ADVICE - WORKING HOLIDAY VISA

Originally Posted by ah5509
Myself and my partner are looking to go to Australia in January. Either Sydney, perth or Melbourne on a working holiday visa. my partners intention is to find a 457 sponsorship while were out there as he is a mechanic so should find one quite easily as most companies are offering onshore candidates priority. we are looking for advice regarding renting a place to stay for long term. we would be happy staying in different hotels but the problem is we are taking our cat and it is not an option to leave him behind. im having difficulty finding accommodation to rent long term and also finding a pet friendly place.

Long term accommodation normally means unfurnished and for 1 year or more, so on a WHV you might not be staying that long.

Some short term accommodation providers, including ourselves, permit cats at their properties.

BB
Old Sep 9th 2013, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking that you cannot find long term accommodation? Are you loooking for furnished, that would make it harder if so, but there are loads of rentals on www.domain.com.au for example.

By the way are you bringing the cat before you get a sponsorship lined up? Just in case you cannot get one, that could be a lot of upheaval for a cat.
Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:56 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Where are you looking that you cannot find long term accommodation? Are you loooking for furnished, that would make it harder if so, but there are loads of rentals on www.domain.com.au for example.

By the way are you bringing the cat before you get a sponsorship lined up? Just in case you cannot get one, that could be a lot of upheaval for a cat.
To add to that - have you arranged a place for the cat in quarantine, and rabies vaccinations, tests etc.?
Old Sep 9th 2013, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

It's very expensive to bring pets here, and will be restrictive if you want to move around x
Old Sep 9th 2013, 11:22 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Biggest problem from the long-term rental point of view is that you aren't here yet. Very few agents will rent a property to someone who doesn't have a visa and isn't in the country yet; in addition Australian rentals work on a pretty quick turnover and as its only September you may well struggle to find something advertised as available in four months time. You'll be in a far better poosition for getting long term rentals once you are in the country and can move in quickly.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:26 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

A plus point will be that you will be able to reasonably consider yourselves as tax resident in Australia - the tax payable by non-residents is much higher than by residents.

See also: http://www.ato.gov.au/General/Intern...ign-residents/
(look at the examples of Kate and Janine)

Best regards.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Biggest problem from the long-term rental point of view is that you aren't here yet. Very few agents will rent a property to someone who doesn't have a visa and isn't in the country yet; in addition Australian rentals work on a pretty quick turnover and as its only September you may well struggle to find something advertised as available in four months time. You'll be in a far better poosition for getting long term rentals once you are in the country and can move in quickly.
Throw a years rent at the problem upfront ...... plenty of landlords will jump at that then hope you don't turn up.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

I am looking for furnished accommodation. Letting agents wont let us a property as we would have a working holiday visa. I have read this on a previous post. Yes the cat would travel the day before us. Hopefully my partner would get a sponsorship quickly as he is a mechanic and onshore candidates are given priority.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
To add to that - have you arranged a place for the cat in quarantine, and rabies vaccinations, tests etc.?
Yes the cat is prepared and ready to fly. Flight and quarantine not booked yet until we find accomodation
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I am looking for furnished accommodation. Letting agents wont let us a property as we would have a working holiday visa. I have read this on a previous post. Yes the cat would travel the day before us. Hopefully my partner would get a sponsorship quickly as he is a mechanic and onshore candidates are given priority.
Well being onshore is better than not but it is citizens and permanent residents that get priority. Employers will need to show that they tried but could not recruit one of these before they could sponsor your OH. Your plan is fine for the two of you, but to take a cat over on a WHV on the off chance that you get sponsorship seems cruel to me. You are not emigrating, you are going on a long holiday. I really would consider having the cat looked after and sent over after you have sponsorship.

Australia does not have much of a market in furnished accommodation, you are best looking for unfurnished. The difference in price will pay for the furniture.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 4:38 pm
Just Joined

Well being onshore is better than not but it is citizens and permanent residents that get priority. Employers will need to show that they tried but could not recruit one of these before they could sponsor your OH. Your plan is fine for the two of you, but to take a cat over on a WHV on the off chance that you get sponsorship seems cruel to me. You are not emigrating, you are going on a long holiday. I really would consider having the cat looked after and sent over after you have sponsorship.

Australia does not have much of a market in furnished accommodation, you are best looking for unfurnished. The difference in price will pay for the furniture.
Yeah I agree. It is very risky and I know were going the wrong way about this but the outcome may be a success. I am now thinking the more sensible idea would be to send my partner over on his own. That way he can live in a cheap hostel and hopefully find a sponsorship. Then once that is done myself and the cat can go over.
Old Sep 10th 2013, 8:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yeah I agree. It is very risky and I know were going the wrong way about this but the outcome may be a success. I am now thinking the more sensible idea would be to send my partner over on his own. That way he can live in a cheap hostel and hopefully find a sponsorship. Then once that is done myself and the cat can go over.
Your cat will thank you for it. I brought two cats over and it is tough on them, you don't want to find he has to do it twice in a year.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the cat is prepared and ready to fly. Flight and quarantine not booked yet until we find accomodation
and the cat will need to spent 30 days in quarantine too. I think it is the same at all 3 quarantine centres, but you are only allowed to visit twice a week.