Renting

Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:26 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting

I'm just full of threads today!

Sold the house and have been looking for rentals here..OMG it's scary - one house in which a GP had been living had a room full of dead flies, mouldy walls and generally looked like a pub. Another said I couldn't use the garage as they were putting their stuff in it and it was meant to unfurnished but they were leaving loads of crap - they had a 6 foot train track attached to one wall!

Anyway 6 houses later have found one - catch is they (quite rightly) can't hold it for us. We haven't exchanged yet so have no completion date. I called solicitors and she has done all the paerwork - sent the contracts out and has the deeds back. I also rang the buyers who have had mortgage offer - their buyers are cash buyers - she rang them and everyone wants to be in by end of the month. My solicitor says we will exchange within 10 days.

So the estate agents are saying if we pay a months deposit £750 they will keep it for us. Downside if it all goes pearshape we lose it!

What shall we do? It's risky but is it worth the risk?
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:38 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Hmmm... a toughy there

The trouble is that solicitors are as tricky as a tricky thing that has gone to tricky school and often talk complete bollocks when it come to exchange dates ( as many on this forum can testify!).

I would be tempted to wait until you complete and then call them back and hope it hasn't gone.
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Wait!!!!!

We were on the point of exchanging contracts in Nov and our buyer's buyer suddenly decided to accept a job overseas. Now we expect to exchange on Friday.

If you need a stop-gap have you thought about a holiday cottage? Easily available at this time of year .

Best of luck

Lesley
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 8:46 pm

Originally posted by lesleys
Wait!!!!!

We were on the point of exchanging contracts in Nov and our buyer's buyer suddenly decided to accept a job overseas. Now we expect to exchange on Friday.

If you need a stop-gap have you thought about a holiday cottage? Easily available at this time of year .

Best of luck

Lesley
I know you are right..and Pollster - it's too risky. It never goes to bloody plan does it? until they sign on the dotted line it's just too easy for something to go wrong! - and it invariably does...

Thanks you guys just needed someone to talk sense into me
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

where in somerset are you Max? we are in somerset too and have friends who have beautiful holiday cottages. they recently rented one to a friend of mine who has gone to NZ. Holiday cottages would definitely be worth a try, especailly as you wouldn't then be stuck with a 6 months lease (though i don't actually know how long you think it will be before you go!)
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 10:26 pm

Originally posted by bazfer
where in somerset are you Max? we are in somerset too and have friends who have beautiful holiday cottages. they recently rented one to a friend of mine who has gone to NZ. Holiday cottages would definitely be worth a try, especailly as you wouldn't then be stuck with a 6 months lease (though i don't actually know how long you think it will be before you go!)
Hi there,

I'm in Shepton Mallet - this would be a good idea as we could get the packers in to cart it all off and store it before it goes.