Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rentals - Does one have to register with all branches?

Rentals - Does one have to register with all branches?

Old Aug 18th 2006, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rentals - Does one have to register with all branches?

Hi all,

Only Meeeeee

Just wondering....when looking for rentals and you go to register at estate agent XYZ , do you have to repeat the process if you visit a different office of the same company in a different part of town?

Would you even need to visit this second branch?

The question may seem stupid...but I really don't want to make any assumptions.

Much obliged

TC
Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:32 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rentals - Does one have to register with all branches?

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
Hi all,

Only Meeeeee

Just wondering....when looking for rentals and you go to register at estate agent XYZ , do you have to repeat the process if you visit a different office of the same company in a different part of town?

Would you even need to visit this second branch?

The question may seem stupid...but I really don't want to make any assumptions.

Much obliged

TC
They're all franchises so I would imagine you would need to register with each area office.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 3:05 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wmoore
They're all franchises so I would imagine you would need to register with each area office.
When looking in Brisbane, yes, we had to go to each office.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 4:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
When looking in Brisbane, yes, we had to go to each office.

thanks guys

what a drag though!!!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:49 pm
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Having left our details with several agents, not a single one contacted us when we were trying to find a rental. We had to rely on the internet and the local papers.

Having read others experiences on this subject I think you will find that this is quite common so I personally wouldn't waste too much time on registering.

Binbird
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:56 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
thanks guys

what a drag though!!!
Hi Mate

Agree with Binbird dont bother registering because they only direct you to the web for searching.

Get copies of applications from all agents and complete majority of the form in advance. Draft a covering letter and make copies of all references etc to go in with the application. You may find you submit for up to 10 properties (maybe more)

Property will have a viewing time slot (anything from 15 to 30 mins) and if you are happy with it submit in person to the office dealing with the lease.

Tools required:
Internet (broadband)
Melways
Car
Sense of humour (it gets tough out their my son, but it will come through)
Old Aug 18th 2006, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

I found the branches didn't work together and as we were looking over a wide area this was a pain. I did call in at quite a few branches of different agents and they were very good at calling me when new properties came up -sometimes even before they were advertised, which was a big advantage. Otherwise, yes, the Internet is invaluable for searching - just beware of ones that don't have pics of the interior!!!
Old Aug 19th 2006, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

peterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant futurepeterinblack has a brilliant future

we found going in to the offices the best way
to find what was new that day
never go with pictures
get the lists and drive past
viewings are usualy on mass
peter
Old Aug 19th 2006, 2:26 am
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

We only used the internet, we never registered with any agents - just phoned them if we were trying to get an early appointment to view. A couple of properties we particularly wanted to view we managed to get appointments before the 'open house' but often you have to turn up with everyone else on the Saturday/Wednesday. As peterinblack says don't rely on the pictures and go for a drive past if you can as it will save time with not viewing unsuitable properties. As thebears mentioned get application forms ready along with all the relevant documents so that you can be first back to the office after seeing a suitable property. Good properties always get a lots of applications so best to be first in the queue.

If you have previously owned your own property as we had then it can be a very depressing process - but you do eventually find something suitable. Just stay positive. Good luck.
Old Aug 19th 2006, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

guys,,,thanks for all of the invaluable advice

I now feel more prepared for what could be a hard slog.

I can see why its certainly no holiday when emmigrating!!!

Thanks

TC