Rental worries!

Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:40 pm
Demi-god

mandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant future
Smile Rental worries!

Hi there, need advice please!!
Have just received confirmation of my 457 business visa and registration for the Nursing board of Western Australia, so am able to books flights etc and begin my new life in oz in Jan/Feb. I was wondering if it is an easy process to secure a 6 -12 month rental whilst still here in the UK as I do not particularly want to rely on a holiday rental for a few weeks and stress out and panic to find a rental during this time. Please help as this is stressing me out!! is it possible to liase with a real estate agent on-line to sort this out!
Old Dec 17th 2007, 5:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental worries!

Originally Posted by mandygee
Have just received confirmation of my 457 business visa and registration for the Nursing board of Western Australia, so am able to books flights etc and begin my new life in oz in Jan/Feb. I was wondering if it is an easy process to secure a 6 -12 month rental whilst still here in the UK as I do not particularly want to rely on a holiday rental for a few weeks and stress out and panic to find a rental during this time. Please help as this is stressing me out!! is it possible to liase with a real estate agent on-line to sort this out!
Dooable... but complicated to source a long term rental from overseas. Most rental agents, will require to see financials and some will not even lease a property unless you have accompanied them on a viewing.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

We have tried to rent before going out to Perth in Feb but no success. We have secured a holiday rental for 1 month and will look around on arrival. I am a nurse on a 457 and im sure that we can find something suitable before the holiday let expires. If not, then another holiday rental i suppose
Good luck
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:03 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

DeSress - you will be more relaxed in a holiday rental for a few weeks than renting something for 6-12 months you saw in an advert and have to wait to see if it is everything you say. If it was not you would have 6-12 months of stress waiting to get out

We went to see some - "picture perfect" rentals to find mould, water running through and sheer drops of balconies (we had kids). Eight out of 10 rentals we would have not considered but only went to see them because of estate agent descriptions.

Look on staying at a holiday rental as an opportuntity to not do anything to the place and have time to look round.

Good luck
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:13 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
DeSress - you will be more relaxed in a holiday rental for a few weeks than renting something for 6-12 months you saw in an advert and have to wait to see if it is everything you say. If it was not you would have 6-12 months of stress waiting to get out

We went to see some - "picture perfect" rentals to find mould, water running through and sheer drops of balconies (we had kids). Eight out of 10 rentals we would have not considered but only went to see them because of estate agent descriptions.

Look on staying at a holiday rental as an opportuntity to not do anything to the place and have time to look round.

Good luck
Amen: you would not believe the state of some "desirable rentals".
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

nicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant futurenicolamoon has a brilliant future

We intend to enjoy our holiday rental. It looks fab. 3 bed detatched on a golf course at an unbelievable price for a month! Would not get that in the south of England for a week in summer. Long drive to the hospital where I will be working but no worries. Good luck to all
Old Dec 17th 2007, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud ofHills Boy has much to be proud of

Couldn't agree more with the replies above. No experience of WA (we live in SA), but we booked a holiday rental for two months (from the UK, minimal paperwork and deposit paid by CC over the phone) so that we could find our feet before looking for something more permanent. We ended up buying a house rather than finding a long term rental though.

Hills Boy
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Just going to endorse the above also.

We tried to secure a rental whilst in the UK and it was a nightmare. (We're actually trying to get another rental now and it is still a nightmare - and we're in Perth!)

When we moved over I came first and stayed with friends for 6 weeks. This was fantastic - not sure what your family structure is like but having a kind of "bridgeheader" is a real positive in today's times - in spite of the emotional stress it causes. One person who comes over first will have more flexibility and can do the hard work before the rest of the family arrive.

We eventually found a furnished rental which was very nice and we ended up staying there for 4 months which just gave us time to get our bearings.
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldnt, they may look lovely on the internet but be quite frankly awful in real life. We looked at a couple that on paper seemed ideal, but the reality was quite different...
Old Dec 17th 2007, 11:41 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I am in Perth and have looked at several rental properties while the in-laws where over, all said the same thing unless you physically look at the house they cannot and will not complete an application! So I don't see how you can get one for WA when not here. Look into it, they all said they couldn't do.
Jenny
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:06 am
HUN skelper

magic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant futuremagic.no7 has a brilliant future

Get a holiday rental BIG4 are good and some are cheap.Have a good look as you need refs for rentals.
Remember agents descriptions:
desirable/pleasant = shithole pre war UK
recently updated = updated in years BC
spacious = cant swing a possom
I am not joking, agents are also taking bungs and allowing auction type underhand deals in better areas.
Take your time look everywhere and get the agents mobile and pester them as much as you can, they dont give a damn.

best of luck M&M
Old Dec 18th 2007, 4:24 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Because of the reasons outlined by others agents will not even entertain the idea until you arrive. And even when you are here they need you to do an inspection before they will take your application.

If you are trying to save a few dollars by going directly into long term rental bewarned this approach could leave you in an undesirable house/unit and materially affect your initial conclusions of Oz.

Rentals come out on a week to week basis so this is the only thing you really have to wait and see - what you can do in advance is get a feeling for areas, and rental rates ie 4 bed versus 3 bed - why is this area demanding a higher rate than this. Then you can go out for viewings informed so when you spot what you want to go for it.

This is one of the biggest things people face in coming out in terms of stress and there is no going away from it. BUT we all got through it. (just don't come over with out the idea that migrating is hard work - but after getting your self a rental the other stuff is not worth stressing about.

Generally I would say be prepared for 3 months of hardwork, the next 3 months (6 months) still figuring things out but you have by then got into a pattern and routine. By 18 months you will be a local

Good luck (its really not worth loosing sleep over)
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:06 am
Demi-god

mandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant futuremandygee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nicolamoon
We intend to enjoy our holiday rental. It looks fab. 3 bed detatched on a golf course at an unbelievable price for a month! Would not get that in the south of England for a week in summer. Long drive to the hospital where I will be working but no worries. Good luck to all
Thanks so much for the advice!! Yes, think we are going to look into holiday accommodation for a month or two now. I think once We have booked something the nerves will settle! Apparantly the nerves and cold feet are totally normal i'm told. Can you recommend any nice holiday lets that dont cost an arm and a leg?? A 3 bed detached on a golf course sounds fab!
Old Dec 18th 2007, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Thanks so much for the advice!! Yes, think we are going to look into holiday accommodation for a month or two now. I think once We have booked something the nerves will settle! Apparantly the nerves and cold feet are totally normal i'm told. Can you recommend any nice holiday lets that dont cost an arm and a leg?? A 3 bed detached on a golf course sounds fab!
Hi
try www.holidaylettings.co.uk and find Perth and have a look you will find a lot booked try Quinns Rocks its near where we are renting, about the same distance from Perth cbd, there were a couple available 10th Feb onwards but that was last week, we found our choices were limited due to it being high season good luck

goats