Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental - utilities etc...

Rental - utilities etc...

Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:21 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Rental - utilities etc...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp know all about that with the older two.... Thats why I'm after a modem that can handle two seperate voip providers and accounts.
I am curious, why do you need two seperate voip providers ?

Old Dec 18th 2009, 8:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I am curious, why do you need two seperate voip providers ?
Iinet are a lot more expensive than Pennytel, especially for mobile calls. So as I get a free account with IInet, I can use that for incoming and local and national STD calls as they come free with the IInet account.. With The Pennytel Account I can use that for Overseas and Mobile calls within Australia as they are far cheaper on both those fronts..... Also end up with two phone lines with two seperate numbers... great for when you live with Teenagers.

Just plug two cordless phones into them and away you go.

Just one Modem stopping me.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Naked aka no Landline is always better.... at least 28 bucks line rental cheaper per month..

I use Pennytel on my Lebara sim, via their ANI callback.... You dial Pennytel, it comes up engaged so no cost... then Pennytel dials you back and from that point on you are on their charges.... which are cheaper than Lebara, no flagfall for starters.. I use this mostly for calling UK mobiles as my Daughter is very hard to catch on Skype and doesn't have a home landline phone.

I'm not sure about the moving account part.... Probably not with Naked, because there are problems churning from one Naked provider to another.

Any ideas for the best way for the folks to call me if I only have VOIP and no landline? Would they be best to just get a handset/headset and use skype to dial the number I would have (presuming you get a telephone number to the BOB handset)?

Dont want to be doing the webcam streaming all the time.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
Any ideas for the best way for the folks to call me if I only have VOIP and no landline? Would they be best to just get a handset/headset and use skype to dial the number I would have (presuming you get a telephone number to the BOB handset)?

Dont want to be doing the webcam streaming all the time.
You get a phone number with Voip.... the Voip company provides you with one.... Its call a DiD number.... Dial in Direct.

So to all intents and purposes it's exactly the same as a normal phone line, except it goes via the Internet.
Old Dec 19th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

You get a phone number with Voip.... the Voip company provides you with one.... Its call a DiD number.... Dial in Direct.

So to all intents and purposes it's exactly the same as a normal phone line, except it goes via the Internet.
So their call should be at a reducxed rate in the same way it would when calling a landline in oz?
Old Dec 20th 2009, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
So their call should be at a reducxed rate in the same way it would when calling a landline in oz?
Yes exactly the same, It basically is just an oridnary phone line from the point of view of dialing in.
Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:18 am
ABCDiamond

Yes exactly the same, It basically is just an oridnary phone line from the point of view of dialing in.
I think that does cause some confusion for some people. Some think it is like Skype, and that they need to have the computer turned on to use it.

Old Dec 20th 2009, 3:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I think that does cause some confusion for some people. Some think it is like Skype, and that they need to have the computer turned on to use it.
Ahh yes there are a few quirky things with it. You do in most cases have to have your Modem Switched on.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

We've got broadbroad and VOIP with iinet. Have used them for years, no problems. We decided to keep the landline with AAPT to hold onto the same number we've had for years, plus iinet told me that I wouldn't be able to send faxes without a landline. Also, we get a few power cuts here in Perth and a landline is useful for emergencies. All our phone calls are made using VOIP, but incoming calls can be to the landline or the VOIP number.
Old Dec 21st 2009, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HelenTD
We've got broadbroad and VOIP with iinet. Have used them for years, no problems. We decided to keep the landline with AAPT to hold onto the same number we've had for years, plus iinet told me that I wouldn't be able to send faxes without a landline. Also, we get a few power cuts here in Perth and a landline is useful for emergencies. All our phone calls are made using VOIP, but incoming calls can be to the landline or the VOIP number.
I think there is a program that overcomes that..... re the faxes over voip.

Will check that out tomorrow.... off to work now dammit.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Guess if I had a UK registered VOIP that it would be classed as a local call for people calling from UK. Any idea of best way to be able to use 2 numbers on one router? I hear iinet only allow one number (theirs)