Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental - utilities etc...

Rental - utilities etc...

Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:26 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Rental - utilities etc...

Originally Posted by mulben
With the internet I would hold off untill Telstras new plans stir some competition- see here:
http://www.bigpond.com/internet/plan...ns-and-offers/
But with Telstra .... Monthly usage allowance means combined upload and download data transfer !

Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:44 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Yehp Mobile phones are my biggest issue at present. I feel fairly confident that half way through next year... I may well be able to run the 4 mobiles in our family on 100 pct data sims.... IE unlimited calls anywhere for about 100 bucks for the whole family. Via Voip on the 3g network..... plus around 3 gigs of mobile internet usage each... Pennytel maybe the one to go with for this.

Thats what I'm aiming for....

Presently were stuck on 2 plans with 3 until July.... My son and I use PAYG Lebara sims with Pennytel ANI call back which gives us Pennytel rates via the Lebara network.

Oh Afterthought...

Probably the best plan for a newcomer to this country at present would be TPG's 100 pct free calls to any Landline, mobile and unlimited SMS @ 79 bucks per month within Aus ..... not sure what the overseas rates are on that...

Bear in mind anyone can Use Pennytel ANI (callback) which works exactly the same way as any calling card on any phone and is far cheaper. No flagfall for starters.
I need to understand this as it could save me heaps!!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 5:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
I need to understand this as it could save me heaps!!
Basically its all about running software on an android or Iphone that allows a softphone (programme) which will run a full voip internet phone service. Pennytel and plenty of other providers supply the DiD number.... you also get a Mobile Number with the Data Sim..

The Mobile carriers are doing all they can to repress this software and access to the 3g Network, although there are ways of doing this now. I've not gone fully into it as yet... except I have got a reliable softphone on our Linux Laptop EEE pc, which is highly portable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softphone

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 1st 2009 at 5:04 am.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But with Telstra .... Monthly usage allowance means combined upload and download data transfer !
I didn't mean join Helstra , it was just a observation that when it starts discounting other providers come out with better plans,
have had them on the phone with offers of $40 less than their quoting in their plans.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:28 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Hi ozzie
Aint that router retail for $220 and then i need a phone,so about same price as iinet will do it for with $90 off!!?

Im all for saving money dude witha seperate phone n router,but $270 for bob if i sign a 24 month deal dont seem to bad?

IInet are definitely the way to go.... 89 bucks gets you 100 gigs @ 24... MBs which is a hell of a lot faster than the majority of plans in the UK. The plan is unlimited although you do get throttled (restricted) to 64 Kbs after this level. Their plan included 100 pct free calls to landlines in Aus.

I use Pennytels voip @ 18 bucks on top rather than IInets as you get 500 mins of Mobile or 150 calls which, if you use mobiles to that level equates to more than 18 bucks.... plus Pennytel include free calls to 70 countries overseas at their 18 dollar crazy talk rate.

JC before getting BoB look at the Billion 7404 modem... you can plug any phone into it and it's far more configurable than the IInet modem. The one problem you face though is you wont get IInet support for the modem (unless you find a very decent Operator)

IInet are also bringing a 3rd Cable TV service to Aus next year, which will be bigger than Select TV.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 7:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Hi ozzie
Aint that router retail for $220 and then i need a phone,so about same price as iinet will do it for with $90 off!!?

Im all for saving money dude witha seperate phone n router,but $270 for bob if i sign a 24 month deal dont seem to bad?
Yes true..... I've been looking on ebay for a billion 7404.... last one went for 130 bucks although it looked very tatty, must have worked because the feed back was good.

The main thing I've got against IInets BoB is you almost certainly wont be able to use other voip systems... which may or may not suit.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

Now dont technically blow my brains with other voips sytems

With the $100 off making it $260 plus ill get a xtra handset for $69 i reckon ill get her!

But any link to that "free" iinet connection matey?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 10:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO
Now dont technically blow my brains with other voips sytems

With the $100 off making it $260 plus ill get a xtra handset for $69 i reckon ill get her!

But any link to that "free" iinet connection matey?
Do you mean this ?

http://www.iinet.net.au/voip/call-rates.html

BTW with those other voip systems the only thing you have to do is enter an address at the appropriate spot..... For Pennytel its "sip.pennytel.com" instead of "sip.iinet.net.vic" with a different password of course. The rest of the system stays the same.... mostly.... Except I did have some voice codec problems for keypad systems on 1300 numbers which was a bit awkard.... but you can get around those.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 1st 2009 at 10:54 am.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 2:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

IInet are definitely the way to go.... 89 bucks gets you 100 gigs @ 24... MBs which is a hell of a lot faster than the majority of plans in the UK. The plan is unlimited although you do get throttled (restricted) to 64 Kbs after this level. Their plan included 100 pct free calls to landlines in Aus.

I use Pennytels voip @ 18 bucks on top rather than IInets as you get 500 mins of Mobile or 150 calls which, if you use mobiles to that level equates to more than 18 bucks.... plus Pennytel include free calls to 70 countries overseas at their 18 dollar crazy talk rate.

JC before getting BoB look at the Billion 7404 modem... you can plug any phone into it and it's far more configurable than the IInet modem. The one problem you face though is you wont get IInet support for the modem (unless you find a very decent Operator)

IInet are also bringing a 3rd Cable TV service to Aus next year, which will be bigger than Select TV.

What I am unsure about is if I need a landline and broadband (VOIP), not to concerned about making calls myself at the moment (work for Vodafone and get a work phone that can use for personal calls and have Lebara sim for calling UK), by my folks have a package on their phone in the UK that gives good rates to australian landlines. will this work if calling through VOIP or better off just using Skype?

Also we only have rental for 6 months, so can I sign up for 24 months and move with me when leave rental?

Last edited by Wigan Warrior; Dec 18th 2009 at 2:59 am. Reason: typo
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
What I am unsure about is if I need a landline and broadband (VOIP), not to concerned about making calls myself at the moment (work for Vodafone and get a work phone that can use for personal calls and have Lebara sim for calling UK), by my folks have a package on their phone in the UK that gives good rates to australian landlines. will this work if calling through VOIP or better off just using Skype?

Also we only have rental for 6 months, so can I sign up for 24 months and move with me when leave rental?
Naked aka no Landline is always better.... at least 28 bucks line rental cheaper per month..

I use Pennytel on my Lebara sim, via their ANI callback.... You dial Pennytel, it comes up engaged so no cost... then Pennytel dials you back and from that point on you are on their charges.... which are cheaper than Lebara, no flagfall for starters.. I use this mostly for calling UK mobiles as my Daughter is very hard to catch on Skype and doesn't have a home landline phone.

I'm not sure about the moving account part.... Probably not with Naked, because there are problems churning from one Naked provider to another.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 3:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior

You can definitely take the 24 month contracts with you, I checked with all the ones we looked at. We are sadly with Telstra, plenty of usage for us at the moment. We've got an international bundle for $10/month which makes UK calls 2c/min at any time of day and the first $10 is included in the package.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:24 am
ABCDiamond

Naked aka no Landline is always better.... at least 28 bucks line rental cheaper per month..
I need to change to that... I pay $21 pm line rental

Old Dec 18th 2009, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I need to change to that... I pay $21 pm line rental
Really wow.... Best Elaborate now

Do you have Mobile Phones bundled to get it at that price ?

BTW... I probably should start a thread on this next part.

IInet just got better... they sent me an email announcing upgrades to plans at no extra cost.... You now get 20 gigs extra for nix...on their 100 gig plan... plus the shaping speed has gone up from 64k to 128k. Off peak quota hasnt changed but the hours have reduced from 2am to midday, to 1am to 9am... still nothing that a scheduler cant cope with. So 120 gigs @ 24 Mbps (I get around 18 Mbps at my house).... for 90 bucks per month.

Hmmm I must try and get my last day shaped, just to see how 128 ks works with Youtube etc.

TPG must be getting to them

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 18th 2009 at 5:40 am.
Old Dec 18th 2009, 6:08 am
ABCDiamond

Really wow.... Best Elaborate now
Telstra Monthly Line Rental Plans
  • $20.95 Homeline Budget (30c local calls)
  • $27.95 Homeline Complete (20c local calls)
  • $29.95 Homeline Plus (18c local calls)
  • $39.95 Homeline Advanced (15c local calls)
  • $49.90 Homeline Reach (includes all local calls)
  • $69.90 Homeline Together (includes all local calls)
  • $89.90 Homeline Ultimate (includes all local & STD calls)

I add the $20.95 to my VOIP at $19.95 pm to give me unlimited free calls all over Australia, USA and UK for a total of $40.90pm (for 2 lines)

I only use the Telstra line for incoming calls, and have the separate VOIP line for outgoing calls. Two lines are useful with a Teenage daughter

Hmmm I must try and get my last day shaped, just to see how 128 ks works with Youtube etc.
Dropping from 1512k to 256k gives me grief, god knows what 128k would be like

Old Dec 18th 2009, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I only use the Telstra line for incoming calls, and have the separate VOIP line for outgoing calls. Two lines are useful with a Teenage daughter
Yehp know all about that with the older two.... Thats why I'm after a modem that can handle two seperate voip providers and accounts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.