Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental - utilities etc...

Rental - utilities etc...

Old Nov 28th 2009, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice
Default Rental - utilities etc...

We have placed a few applications for apartments and starting to think about what will need sorting out.

Are there any websites for comapring the best utility prices/home contents insurance?

Is it possible to get internet/home telephone/tv bundles in the same way as you can in the UK? Seen Telstra do one, but wondering if any others.

Using Lebara mobile SIMs for calling home at the moment, but are there better options for landlines?

Cheers.
WW
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

CazYaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rental - utilities etc...

Originally Posted by Wigan Warrior
We have placed a few applications for apartments and starting to think about what will need sorting out.

Are there any websites for comapring the best utility prices/home contents insurance?

Is it possible to get internet/home telephone/tv bundles in the same way as you can in the UK? Seen Telstra do one, but wondering if any others.

Using Lebara mobile SIMs for calling home at the moment, but are there better options for landlines?

Cheers.
WW
Hi,
We use iiNET, they have been great so far - no issues.

We also use a calling card to phone the UK - very cheap. Easycalling I think.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 12:29 am
Just Joined

gingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nicegingerlindz is just really nice

thanks for asking this, this is what i've been trying to find out over the last few nights on my nightshifts (in between working of course). Trying to get planned for moving!
Old Nov 29th 2009, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

Here in WA you get your gas comes from one supplier and the same with your electric.

There doesn't seem to be any comparison sites though. I did lots ofresearch and for contents Real couldn't be beaten and for car insurance it was Bingle.
Old Nov 29th 2009, 10:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really niceWigan Warrior is just really nice

Thanks all.

Need a landline so the folks back home can call us cheap and definatley need broadband. Preferably with a large download allowance.

Never thought I'd miss unlimikted download from Virgin media!
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

JCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud ofJCSUPERMOTO has much to be proud of

IINET is the one im signing onto next week

Gonna get the $80 60g package with iitalk on the naked line

gonna get "bob" router and phone for $370 but with $100 off,and $150 signing on fee or sign for 24 months and get that for half price!!
And if you wanna cancel after say a year,all you pay back is the money off the modem or sign on fee
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:41 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

With the internet I would hold off untill Telstras new plans stir some competition- see here:
http://www.bigpond.com/internet/plan...ns-and-offers/
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO

gonna get "bob" router and phone for $370 but with $100 off,and $150 signing on fee or sign for 24 months and get that for half price!!
And if you wanna cancel after say a year,all you pay back is the money off the modem or sign on fee
Naked line? I really need to do some research on this.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 1:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JCSUPERMOTO

Interesting, I was offered it all for free via mailshot last week...wonder if there are hidden costs!!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:37 am
BE Enthusiast

gas, electric, contents insurance, telephone, broadband.... anything I've forgot?
Old Dec 1st 2009, 3:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

IInet are definitely the way to go.... 89 bucks gets you 100 gigs @ 24... MBs which is a hell of a lot faster than the majority of plans in the UK. The plan is unlimited although you do get throttled (restricted) to 64 Kbs after this level. Their plan included 100 pct free calls to landlines in Aus.

I use Pennytels voip @ 18 bucks on top rather than IInets as you get 500 mins of Mobile or 150 calls which, if you use mobiles to that level equates to more than 18 bucks.... plus Pennytel include free calls to 70 countries overseas at their 18 dollar crazy talk rate.

JC before getting BoB look at the Billion 7404 modem... you can plug any phone into it and it's far more configurable than the IInet modem. The one problem you face though is you wont get IInet support for the modem (unless you find a very decent Operator)

IInet are also bringing a 3rd Cable TV service to Aus next year, which will be bigger than Select TV.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:04 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

gas, electric, contents insurance, telephone, broadband.... anything I've forgot?
Cable (Foxtel) to watch your beloved team at 3am like I do!!!!
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

Our monthly bills are electric, combined telephone/internet (Spin), Foxtel, Mobile phones, rent.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Electricity is very competitive at present... you should be able to shop around and find a utility company that provides Electricty at less than 16cents per KWH.

Gas is far less competitive so your basically stuck with the majority of other people on that... so more or less the first company you subscribe to will be as good as any of the others. So try and find a company that does Dual Utility and refuse to sign up with anyone unless they offer you Electricity at less than 16 cents per KWH.... with less than a 14 dollar per month Service charge.on electricity and 12 dollars per month service charge on Gas.

Water again not much competition amongst the suppliers on this.

For medical insurance use the Iselect website http://www.iselect.com.au/ as peoples needs vary greatly.

House and Car insurance .... very competitve at present no company stands head and shoulders above the others.... Although AAMI should be your reference point. If you beat their prices your doing well in other words.... because if you do find a quote that beats them, they will respond by matching the quote.

Best of luck
Old Dec 1st 2009, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddyo
Our monthly bills are electric, combined telephone/internet (Spin), Foxtel, Mobile phones, rent.
Yehp Mobile phones are my biggest issue at present. I feel fairly confident that half way through next year... I may well be able to run the 4 mobiles in our family on 100 pct data sims.... IE unlimited calls anywhere for about 100 bucks for the whole family. Via Voip on the 3g network..... plus around 3 gigs of mobile internet usage each... Pennytel maybe the one to go with for this.

Thats what I'm aiming for....

Presently were stuck on 2 plans with 3 until July.... My son and I use PAYG Lebara sims with Pennytel ANI call back which gives us Pennytel rates via the Lebara network.

Oh Afterthought...

Probably the best plan for a newcomer to this country at present would be TPG's 100 pct free calls to any Landline, mobile and unlimited SMS @ 79 bucks per month within Aus ..... not sure what the overseas rates are on that...

Bear in mind anyone can Use Pennytel ANI (callback) which works exactly the same way as any calling card on any phone and is far cheaper. No flagfall for starters.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Dec 1st 2009 at 4:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.