Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental Rights in Aus?

Rental Rights in Aus?

Old Dec 11th 2004, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental Rights in Aus?

Hi all
We started renting at the end of October and are still waiting for our damaged flyscreens to be replaced. This is particularly annoying as we don't have air-con. We've contacted our agents and have been told that they will be replaced before Christmas. They have fixed several other problems - for a fortnight we were cooking on just one hotplate, that has been fixed, along with the reticulation and some lights etc. We were led to believe that all the problems with the house would be addressed quickly; within a couple of weeks. Along with the damaged flyscreens, our daughter's bedroom has a bit of a weird smell coming from the carpet; this was supposed to be replaced but we are still waiting. I understand some of the problem is that the agents have been carrying out repairs via accessing the previous tenants bond, but that has all gone now, so they have to apply to the owner for permission to spend any additional money.
The agents sent us the wrong property report; luckily we had already lodged our own detailed report (6 pages of A4) and taken some digitial pictures. They had obviously dug out the previous tenants report, which also included the wrong date, which hubby commented on with a letter to them.
We have our 8 week property inspection on December 22nd (great timing lol), I was wondering what will happen and if we have any come back on the poor state of the property. We've taken this house on for 6 months, if we decide to move, would we have enough reason to get away with doing this, given the poor quality of living the house affords?
We've also been worried about making too much of a fuss incase we need to get a reference from them... how likely is this to happen?

Basically, I would be interested to know what tenancy rights we have in Australia and what other people's experiences have been. Perhaps we can inform other migrants so they don't get stuck in a similar situation.

I would recommend to anyone about to rent, to write a detailed report of the state of each room (also including garden and garage etc.) down to areas of chipped plaster, tiles, or dirty carpet. Take pictures too and lodge the report with the agent, making sure they have signed your copy to say they have actually got it.

ATB
Larissa
Old Dec 11th 2004, 6:37 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Rental Rights in Aus?

This may be of help ?

Tenants Advice Service
PO Box 8437
Perth Business Centre
PERTH WA 6849

Ph: (08) 9221 9499
Fax : (08) 9221 9609