Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental Property What do you need up front

Rental Property What do you need up front

Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental Property What do you need up front

What do Aus estate agents want from you to secure a rental property, in terms of $$$$ up front, references, proof of income/money in bank etc Originals or copies?

Haven't rented in many a year and want to make sure we don't put ourselves at a disadvantage straight off but not having the right docs with us (no good in the container)
TA

Safin
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

djfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nicedjfbug is just really nice
Default Re: Rental Property What do you need up front

Nice one - I have never rented and would love the same info please
Old Oct 25th 2007, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

scrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud ofscrum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by djfbug
Nice one - I have never rented and would love the same info please
So would I.

Trish
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:51 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We've just booked a furnished rental. They didn't ask for anything. We have to pay 4 weeks rental as bond and two weeks rent upfront. We can pay this anytime between now and when we pick uo the keys.

This was with an estate agent and as I said a furnished rental.

Gina
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

rockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud ofrockpeblar has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GinaUK
We've just booked a furnished rental. They didn't ask for anything. We have to pay 4 weeks rental as bond and two weeks rent upfront. We can pay this anytime between now and when we pick uo the keys.

This was with an estate agent and as I said a furnished rental.

Gina
Similar to us, we needed to give some phone numbers for work references but I don't think they phoned to check. Nearly two months in with our first rental and no major problems so far!!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

MaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really niceMaggersandJen is just really nice

A buddy of mine has rented quite a bit out there and I've asked her the same question, she said it can depend on the agent, sometimes 4-6 weeks rent as a bond will suffice wheras others will want this but will want to make sure at least one of you has a job and if you have got them, payslips from your new job can help. It might also help to have copies of your bank accounts (UK or Oz, depending on which one has your money in it!) so you can prove that you are in a position to pay the rent, if you dont have a job.

But at the end of the day, they are estate agents ... as long as you give them money you will get what you want
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Short term rental you dont need to bring any references, its the long term rental that you need references, we took a copy of our bank statement in UK, & in Oz, show them that we have money told them we are new arrival, we have no rental record as we were home owners, they took copy all our stuff, then we got the rental after couple days.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - so its basically proving you have money/income. Here's hoping we find what we like and thres no fight over it!

Safin
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

All I would suggest to you guys, get the RTA booklet and know your rights first.

2nd - References.

3rd - Money/bond

4th - Patience, as you will be submitted to the landlord and then chosen from a few applicants if you are worthy enough to grace the property, doesnt even matter if your a millionaire, owner of chatsworth, on paper you may look the same.

5th- 2 million points of identification, retina eye scan, fingerprints, and DNA taken.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by on a mission
All I would suggest to you guys, get the RTA booklet and know your rights first.

2nd - References.

3rd - Money/bond

4th - Patience, as you will be submitted to the landlord and then chosen from a few applicants if you are worthy enough to grace the property, doesnt even matter if your a millionaire, owner of chatsworth, on paper you may look the same.

5th- 2 million points of identification, retina eye scan, fingerprints, and DNA taken.
ok what the rta booklet you mention?

what sort of references?

Alien DNA may be a problem then? The kids think I am a monster anyway!

Seriusly is it that bad?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Safin
ok what the rta booklet you mention?

what sort of references?

Alien DNA may be a problem then? The kids think I am a monster anyway!

Seriusly is it that bad?
its not bad, but be prepared for red tape and beaurocracy, what austrlai isnt short off, is gullable poms, throwing there cash around emigrating, always maintain its a billion dollar business, us migrants finding our feet for the first year or two, and theres people to take full advantage.

RTA- Rental and Tenants Association Handbook,(QLD) its a green book you get from the post office, and can demand it from any RE agent.

References, employer or lsat landlord to say you are a good tenant

be good to read exaclty what renting is, take pictures of anything your not happy with before moving in, and put anything in the contract you feel you should.

My example, is they wanted me to do the garden on leaving, so I cut the grass and trimmed all the bushes, actually paid someone $100 to do it....

wasnt good enough, landlady wanted a mate of hers, a landscape gardener to do it, at a cost of $200

other matter, we moved in and oven was old and not really clean.

when we moved out, we had the place professionally cleaned, and reciepted, landlady wasnt happy about oven, and wanted another $50 to get a cleaner in,

I went to court and managed to win.. buts its a ballache,
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

SKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud ofSKIPPI79 has much to be proud of

How do you pay rent there? cash or banktransfer? And if you pay 2 weeks up front, when do you start paying weekly? after the second week?
Is everything weekly? pretty stupid going to the bank or real estate every week to pay them?
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SKIPPI79
How do you pay rent there? cash or banktransfer? And if you pay 2 weeks up front, when do you start paying weekly? after the second week?
Is everything weekly? pretty stupid going to the bank or real estate every week to pay them?
I did at start but then did bank xfers, fortnightly upfront.

Once you get a rapor with the RE agent, no worries.

I always felt shite for the way I treated my RE chap, he was a great guy, but the landlady was a complete asshole, she got her dues in the end.ahahahaah