Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental properties

Rental properties

Old May 23rd 2005, 12:57 pm
stevenpoole9

Default Rental properties

We are a family of 5 coming to Brisbane/S.E.Queensland in early August 2005. I am engineer (cnc, but would ideally like to change) and my wife is in childcare. We have never visited the area before so we are looking for somewhere to rent for our 1st 6 - 8 weeks. This needs to be furnished as our furniture will still be floating across from England. We are looking to rent in the brisbane area by the coast, ideally Wynumm/Mannly area as this will give us a central base enabling us to explore . we would consider other suburbs as well. Could anyone put us in contact with any rented accommodation other than brisbanebound and destinationbrisbane who we have alredy been in touch with. We do not want holiday lets. and would need at least 3 bedrooms and a garden. Cheers Steve & Tracey Poole.

Old May 23rd 2005, 12:58 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental properties

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
We are a family of 5 coming to Brisbane/S.E.Queensland in early August 2005. I am engineer (cnc, but would ideally like to change) and my wife is in childcare. We have never visited the area before so we are looking for somewhere to rent for our 1st 6 - 8 weeks. This needs to be furnished as our furniture will still be floating across from England. We are looking to rent in the brisbane area by the coast, ideally Wynumm/Mannly area as this will give us a central base enabling us to explore . we would consider other suburbs as well. Could anyone put us in contact with any rented accommodation other than brisbanebound and destinationbrisbane who we have alredy been in touch with. We do not want holiday lets. and would need at least 3 bedrooms and a garden. Cheers Steve & Tracey Poole.

www.seqrents.com.au will give you h ours of fun searching for short term lets in and around brisbane , lots are furnished.
Old May 23rd 2005, 1:46 pm
stevenpoole9

Spalen, thanks for the link I found quite a few really nice properties on there but most seem to be 6 month minimum rental period. Still some very well priced houses in lovely settings, exactly the sort of places we imagined we would be living in once we got to Oz. I'll keep looking though as there were some shorter rental periods, but there was just less choice. If you know of any more let me know, Cheers. Steve.

Old May 23rd 2005, 1:53 pm
stevenpoole9

Spalen, I've just noticed your location (DOH!) how have you enjoted your 1st couple of months in Brissie? What made you choose ypur current location and finally how did you go about renting when you first arrived? That should keep you busy for a while. Oh! by the way what do you do for a living and how easy have you found getting work? Cheers, Steve.

Old May 23rd 2005, 2:32 pm
Welsh Member!!

GrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really niceGrantP is just really nice

Originally Posted by stevenpoole9
Spalen, I've just noticed your location (DOH!) how have you enjoted your 1st couple of months in Brissie? What made you choose ypur current location and finally how did you go about renting when you first arrived? That should keep you busy for a while. Oh! by the way what do you do for a living and how easy have you found getting work? Cheers, Steve.
Sorry to steam in here Steve, but I recon I might have some infomation that may be of help to you!!

I'm currently a CNC Programmer (offline), and I've been looking at engineering jobs in the Brisbane area for 12 months now! I managed to get a position with a company who sell Cad/Cam software while I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago, so I'm off over there in a couple of months!! I also visited a couple of other companies who had all sorts of CNC positions available! I know you said you'd like to look at something different than CNC, but there are loads of jobs for people with these skills, and it could give you a steady job while you settle in!!??

Check out www.seek.com.au first. There's usually a couple of recent job adverts on there! I usually just search the 'Brisbane' & 'Other QLD' areas under all occupations with 'CNC' in the Key word field!!

Also check out some of the big companies like Ferra Engineering! Send them your CV, and I'm sure they'll be interested!!
I actually went throught the yellow pages online for the brisbane area and sent my CV to nearly every engineering company I could find!! I got an amazing responce, and had to choose the ones I wanted to go and see!!!

Anyway, good luck, and let me know if there's anything I can help you with!!

Cheers!
Grant
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:53 pm
stevenpoole9

Originally Posted by GrantP
Sorry to steam in here Steve, but I recon I might have some infomation that may be of help to you!!

I'm currently a CNC Programmer (offline), and I've been looking at engineering jobs in the Brisbane area for 12 months now! I managed to get a position with a company who sell Cad/Cam software while I was on holiday a couple of weeks ago, so I'm off over there in a couple of months!! I also visited a couple of other companies who had all sorts of CNC positions available! I know you said you'd like to look at something different than CNC, but there are loads of jobs for people with these skills, and it could give you a steady job while you settle in!!??

Check out www.seek.com.au first. There's usually a couple of recent job adverts on there! I usually just search the 'Brisbane' & 'Other QLD' areas under all occupations with 'CNC' in the Key word field!!

Also check out some of the big companies like Ferra Engineering! Send them your CV, and I'm sure they'll be interested!!
I actually went throught the yellow pages online for the brisbane area and sent my CV to nearly every engineering company I could find!! I got an amazing responce, and had to choose the ones I wanted to go and see!!!

Anyway, good luck, and let me know if there's anything I can help you with!!

Cheers!
Grant
Thanks for the info, I've been looking on a couple of sites for work and I've had a copy of the courier mail sent to me to check out the availbble vacancies. I'm sure I'll find something once I'm there and like you say it's good to have something to fall back on. I'll send Ferra an e-mail/cv and see what that brings. Thanks again. Steve.

Old May 23rd 2005, 8:57 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

hia

most / lots of hte places on that SEQRents , will be negotiable, the one we rented was in the city a 2-bed furnished appt with a shared pool for $530 /week for a 4 week rent. Given its furnished that was pretty reasonable. It was promenade at newstead in clayfield - great place very nice indeed. The same people have another place Manhattan at Newstead which is also nice- I did a thread on them on here if you look for threads started by me or search for "Promenade" should find it.

As for work I cant help, I got sorted out before I came with my UK employer, but seek.com.au is the place to go. There are other job websites (again I posted a list of the top 10 if you look for that "top 10" or something should find it ).

We settled here because we drove through the area and thought it was stunning, travel time to CBD for me is 50mins on train and it had an available house big enough with aircon that we were looking for and the kids school is 5 minutes walk up the road. One thing you dont get a feel for when you are in UK is how easy it is to get a feel for an area when you are here, we tried to narrow down where we wanted to live before we got here and were looking at sunnybank/north coast etc, then after about 1-2 days of driving around exploring you get a feel for the areas and decide how you want to live and where... that'll then hone you into an area and then you're into whats available rental wise. Its not that hard once you are here.

good luck with it all mate. Brisbane is beautiful as are the places around it - you wont have a problem once you get here finding a nice place to live.
Old May 24th 2005, 2:29 pm
stevenpoole9

Originally Posted by spalen
hia

most / lots of hte places on that SEQRents , will be negotiable, the one we rented was in the city a 2-bed furnished appt with a shared pool for $530 /week for a 4 week rent. Given its furnished that was pretty reasonable. It was promenade at newstead in clayfield - great place very nice indeed. The same people have another place Manhattan at Newstead which is also nice- I did a thread on them on here if you look for threads started by me or search for "Promenade" should find it.

As for work I cant help, I got sorted out before I came with my UK employer, but seek.com.au is the place to go. There are other job websites (again I posted a list of the top 10 if you look for that "top 10" or something should find it ).

We settled here because we drove through the area and thought it was stunning, travel time to CBD for me is 50mins on train and it had an available house big enough with aircon that we were looking for and the kids school is 5 minutes walk up the road. One thing you dont get a feel for when you are in UK is how easy it is to get a feel for an area when you are here, we tried to narrow down where we wanted to live before we got here and were looking at sunnybank/north coast etc, then after about 1-2 days of driving around exploring you get a feel for the areas and decide how you want to live and where... that'll then hone you into an area and then you're into whats available rental wise. Its not that hard once you are here.

good luck with it all mate. Brisbane is beautiful as are the places around it - you wont have a problem once you get here finding a nice place to live.
Thanks for the reply, we are doing something similar to you as regards initial accommodation. We looked at a few places to settle and thought that the Wynumm/Mannly/Cleveland areas would be good as they seem to be centrally place for Brissie, Gold Coast etc. We will just hire a car and spend 4-6 weeks driving around looking at places with a view to settling down somewhere, it seems the best option when you don't know any of the actual areas. I wouldn't want to comit to any particular suburb without spending quite a lot of time there beforehand. (wherever we end up it SHOULD be better than Wolverhampton!)
Work wise I'm just going to see what's available in which particular areas, I'm pretty flexible on the work front and willing to work hard so hopefully I won't have too many problems. Steve.

Old May 24th 2005, 2:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Re Ferra Engineering - I don't know the company myself, but they have been mentioned on here several times, enough for the name to ring a bell!!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=256432