Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:09 pm
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice
Default Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

Just looking at rentals in Perth.....some bloomin nice pads going for the $350 a week mark.....much less than we ever paid here in Surrey!!

Cant help thinking this would be way over budget though when we finally start living by Oz standards of living!

What would be an average price rental for a 20-30 yr old couple, both with full time jobs and no kids?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:14 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

I think you'll have to go over the $300 mark to find good quality accommodation.

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Just looking at rentals in Perth.....some bloomin nice pads going for the $350 a week mark.....much less than we ever paid here in Surrey!!

Cant help thinking this would be way over budget though when we finally start living by Oz standards of living!

What would be an average price rental for a 20-30 yr old couple, both with full time jobs and no kids?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:57 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

These guys might help: http://www.lets-perth.com/Property.html

They have two very nice properties currently renting for $345pw (in Joondalup) & $395pw (in Sorrento.)

Even if you're not interested in renting from them, I'm sure they could advise you on the average price of a rental.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Leeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enoughLeeds_to_Perth will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
These guys might help: http://www.lets-perth.com/Property.html

They have two very nice properties currently renting for $345pw (in Joondalup) & $395pw (in Sorrento.)

Even if you're not interested in renting from them, I'm sure they could advise you on the average price of a rental.

I dont think I could live in Sorrento without it being in Italy itself, just sounds so naff...
Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:40 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
I dont think I could live in Sorrento without it being in Italy itself, just sounds so naff...
LOL, then you won't like Malaga either!

BTW, most of the Italian names around the place (such as Subiaco, etc.) were influenced by the local Italian population - so it's them you have to blame for it.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:42 pm
Fighting my corner

Thumbs up Re: Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

Anyway, nice to see you here mate.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

For $350 you should get somewhere really really nice. The West Australian Newspaper has hundreds of rental properties available every week. I live in Doubleview which is ok but Wembley Downs, Wembley and City Beach are pretty nice places to live. As a guide you should not be spending more than 25% to 30% of your weekly wage on your rent or mortgage otherwise you will have no money left to live.

http://business.thewest.com.au/npms....l-estate-metro
http://www.realestate.com.au/
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leeds_to_Perth
Sorrento is lovely, We are off to Perth early 06 and personally would love to live there, but there is nothing under $500. Most properties around the $650 upwards, beautiful coastline even if the name sounds [quote] naff

John
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

CreditCardKing will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=nickyjohnt]Sorrento is lovely, We are off to Perth early 06 and personally would love to live there, but there is nothing under $500. Most properties around the $650 upwards, beautiful coastline even if the name sounds
naff

John
There are some that are under $500 on this site. However these are not 6 bedroom with swimming pool and sea views.

http://www.realestate.com.au/
Old Nov 8th 2005, 5:06 pm
Fighting my corner

Cool Re: Rental prices in Perth - what is considered average or, the 'norm'?

Sorrento is a fantastic place; I absolutely love it.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:37 pm
Living in Perthection

steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute

When we came over about 3 1/2 years ago we were in the same situation as you (age/no kids both worked in the uk etc) we ended up renting in Cottesloe at $400pw.
Be warned there a lot of crap out there for rent, we found about 1 in 10 were able to be considered.
If you want to be near the ocean and and about a 15 - 20min drive to the city (+10 by bus) then check out City Beach, Wembley Downs, Floreat etc.
Rental prices here are way to low, some of them are renting for under about 50% of what they would now cost to mortgage.
when you say full time jobs is that over here? If you both are then I would think spending somewhere in the region of $500 to $750 would get you something decent in one of the affor mentioned suburbs.
It will largely depend on what you want, if its an apartment then your not going to get them in these suburbs etc.

Steve
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

We have not long arrived and are renting a brand new 4x2 house. We are only paying 230 a week. That is down near Rockingham, but I suppose it is all about where you want to stay. Good luck.
Carole
Old Nov 9th 2005, 12:17 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Hi chaps, I arrived in july and my experience is very much that it depends on where you want to live.Knowing Guildford, I know it can take up to 40 mins to drive in and park there for work, so I'd say you could go either north or south the distance and times into Perth centre are pretty much the same in the morning.Obviously there are areas you would want to avoid and some areas we'd all aspire to but you could expect a perfectly comfortable 3x2 or a 4x2 for the $220 mark in one of the 'ordinary' suburbs. we pay $220 for our 4x2,its basic but newly decorated has garden areas and a pool, its fair to say that some rentals are rough to say the least but there ARE some perfectly reasonable ones out there.Also if you rent now in the UK make sure you bring a reference from your landlord it could really help!
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:04 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hi chaps, I arrived in july and my experience is very much that it depends on where you want to live.Knowing Guildford, I know it can take up to 40 mins to drive in and park there for work, so I'd say you could go either north or south the distance and times into Perth centre are pretty much the same in the morning.Obviously there are areas you would want to avoid and some areas we'd all aspire to but you could expect a perfectly comfortable 3x2 or a 4x2 for the $220 mark in one of the 'ordinary' suburbs. we pay $220 for our 4x2,its basic but newly decorated has garden areas and a pool, its fair to say that some rentals are rough to say the least but there ARE some perfectly reasonable ones out there.Also if you rent now in the UK make sure you bring a reference from your landlord it could really help!
I agree with Steve's comment re rents v. mortgages.
We're renting a good sized place in Ocean Reef within walking distance of the sea for $300/week, and there are others around in the same area for $250-$300. Buying is however completely different - you don't get any change out of $1/2 million in OR for the most basic properties. Unless you're on a good wedge or have plenty of capital, you may have to be prepared to move slightly further away from the beach when you buy. Bear this in mind when selecting schools etc.

Brian
Old Nov 9th 2005, 2:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I've just rented a 3+2 rear villa in Inglewood for $290pw on a 6 month lease. It's a very nice place, nearly new, air con etc near shops & pub.

A few points I've discovered:
Estate agents are tossers. Prepare to be lied to, let down & get crap service.
Unless the ad says 'stunning' or 'fantastic' it's probably crap or a complete sh*thole.
Good properties close to the city or beach are hard to get due to the influx of people coming in for the resources boom. Rents are rising because of this. Anything decent will have loads of people interested in it. I offered $20pw more than was being asked because I was getting desparate & the place was really nice.
Being a new immigrant does not seem to be a disadvantage when it comes to renting. The estate agents realise that you have already been 'vetted' by the Australian government. As you know they do not give out 136s in lucky packets.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get somewhere nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.