Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental prices in Perth?

Rental prices in Perth?

Old Oct 20th 2013, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

The Elk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rental prices in Perth?

I've taken a look through the forum but nothing obvious is jumping out at me.

I'm hopefully moving to perth next year and will looking to rent. What is a reasonable rental price in perth: I've looked on the net and there seems to be pretty nice looking places in the suburbs for around $200 per week, which is around £525 per month.

My question is whether this is a realistic amount for an okay area?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:14 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental prices in Perth?

Originally Posted by The Elk
I've taken a look through the forum but nothing obvious is jumping out at me.

I'm hopefully moving to perth next year and will looking to rent. What is a reasonable rental price in perth: I've looked on the net and there seems to be pretty nice looking places in the suburbs for around $200 per week, which is around £525 per month.

My question is whether this is a realistic amount for an okay area?
What sort of property are you looking for? I'm surprised you can find anything at $200 week
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

It's on realestate.com.au they have ones on at $150 per week for a semi detached in kojonup. I thought it seemed a bit cheap - maybe I'm missing something?
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

AusManCometh is on a distinguished road

Unfortunately that kind of price per week would rent you a "room" in suburbs near Perth not a house. $525 per week is more realistic.
Old Oct 20th 2013, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

AusManCometh is on a distinguished road

Kojunup is a country town Elk - nowhere near Perth and little employment opportunities unless your a farmer - it is a 3 hour drive to Perth - throw your search from say Burns Beach in the North to Port Kennedy in the south. Cheers
Old Oct 20th 2013, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

I thought there was something up!
Old Oct 20th 2013, 10:54 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I thought there was something up!
It's so difficult to research real estate when you don't know anything about the place, Elk. Good move to ask for advice on BE!

Have a look on the maps provided on realestate.com.au - that will give you a bit of an idea about Perth suburbs. Rents differ widely according to the type of property you're looking for (flat, duplex (semi-detached), villa (stand alone 'little house' in a complex) or detached home - there's a similar wide range of rents according to the area.

Although it's impossible to generalize due to these variations, to be very broad on rental per week in a Perth suburb -

flat - $320 up to the ridiculous

villa - 380 up to the ridiculous

duplex - 380 up to - well, you know!

detached house - you might get something for around $400 per week, but they're scarce. I live in a 'solid' suburb approximately 12 km from the city centre, if we rented our 4 bedroom 2 bathroom we'd get $600 - 650 a week.

Good luck with your research and if particular suburbs strike you, ask here and I'm sure you'll get the lowdown
Old Oct 20th 2013, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers scouse, it's early days still but the move will creep up all too quickly I think! It's quite daunting looking at areas when you're starting from a knowledge level of below zero for the city!

Think we'll be looking south of the CBD but don't need to worry too much about the area as we've no kids or anything. I'm assuming that a less "desirable area" in Perth doesn't have the same connotations that my home city of Belfast has 😀
Old Oct 21st 2013, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Perth certainly does have some bad areas - not as bad as the bad ones in Belfast, but still places you wouldnt want to live.

It might be best if you tell us what your budget is per week and what you are looking for as an area - beach? close to city? lots of bars / restaurants? busy or quiet?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

We're probably looking for something within reasonable commuting distance of the city centre as my wife will be looking for work (I've a job sorted). Good public transport if possible.

In terms of social activities we'd eat out a lot and go to the cinema, the beach seems like a luxury we'll not be able to afford. No kids. We'd initially be looking for a 2 bedroom place but would settle for anything really until we see how far our money will go.

Budget? As cheap as possible without ending up in a dive. I think you try and make the most if where you are - I know people living areas I wouldn't dream of living in who say they've no problems. It only takes one "bad" household to destroy a neighbourhood after all.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Maddjose is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I've been doing a lot of research into the Perth suburbs but again haven't a clue. I think I've narrowed my search down to a couple baldivis and bibra lake. Looking at quiet area good for young families, good primary schooling, shops for the wife and with reasonable transport links for my commute to work. Initially if I'm lucky to get the golden ticket, I'll be north of the river for 3-4 months but then south. I'm willing to pay upto $600-650 pw and want 3-4 beds.
Can anyone please help with their thoughts on these suburbs??

Thanks in anticipation.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 9:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

We're probably looking for something within reasonable commuting distance of the city centre as my wife will be looking for work (I've a job sorted). Good public transport if possible.

In terms of social activities we'd eat out a lot and go to the cinema, the beach seems like a luxury we'll not be able to afford. No kids. We'd initially be looking for a 2 bedroom place but would settle for anything really until we see how far our money will go.

Budget? As cheap as possible without ending up in a dive. I think you try and make the most if where you are - I know people living areas I wouldn't dream of living in who say they've no problems. It only takes one "bad" household to destroy a neighbourhood after all.
Where will you be working? What kind of work does your wife do?
Old Oct 21st 2013, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

jackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nicejackieh23 is just really nice

Looking south - I'd suggest consider Booragoon, Melville, Palmyra, Applecross, Attadale, Mt Pleasant. There is a real mix of units/houses available and prices range from around the $400 pw mark up to stupid level :-) Close to good shopping/cinema (Garden City Shopping Centre) & restaurants and good public transport links and only a short drive to the ocean and river.
Old Oct 21st 2013, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

If you want resonable commute times you are looking at 320-380 bracket depending on how fancy you want to get.

I had a 3 bed house in Morley for $350 which was a good clean house, all the areas around there are fine, morley, balcatta theres plenty of big shopping centers close by
Old Oct 21st 2013, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

I'm one of the multitude hopefully transferring to the WA police and my wife is an administrator, currently working for a local university. Thanks for the advice everyone, it gives us somewhere to start looking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.