Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental options? Hitting my head against the wall!!

Rental options? Hitting my head against the wall!!

Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Gnarrabup is on a distinguished road
Question Rental options? Hitting my head against the wall!!

No progress whatsoever in finding a decent rental for our family going on 3 month startup trip (validation, intial job search etc).

Rentals market seems ok for those renting 6 months and upwards .. but below that? We haven't found anything below $1000/week ... does this really make sense? We're subleting our own flat (right in the centre) for $320/week. (We're looking at anything coastal, north river - we're into surfing so not living on the coast would simply not be an option after going so far for coast).

I'll do an effort tomorrow .. but after that we'll drop the idea of Australia.

In comparison the money we've spent on getting the visas is really nothing - compared to the money we would waste on just housing for such a trip.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:13 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Rental options? Hitting my head against the wall!!

What part of Australia ?

Old Nov 4th 2008, 8:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
What part of Australia ?
From their other posts it sounds like it might be Perth.....
Old Nov 4th 2008, 9:22 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gnarrabup
No progress whatsoever in finding a decent rental for our family going on 3 month startup trip (validation, intial job search etc).

Rentals market seems ok for those renting 6 months and upwards .. but below that? We haven't found anything below $1000/week ... does this really make sense? We're subleting our own flat (right in the centre) for $320/week. (We're looking at anything coastal, north river - we're into surfing so not living on the coast would simply not be an option after going so far for coast).

I'll do an effort tomorrow .. but after that we'll drop the idea of Australia.

In comparison the money we've spent on getting the visas is really nothing - compared to the money we would waste on just housing for such a trip.
you need a holiday let, www.stayz.com.au

You are going to pay a lot of money though in that time, more than $320 a week for sure.
Old Nov 4th 2008, 10:24 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
We live on the Sunshine coast north of Brisabane and we have a rental that we are breaking the lease on due to lack of work for OH. If you are interested PM me, it is a 2bd beach house in Caloundra and also has a sofabed in the lounge. It is fully furnished and 2mins from trendy Moffat beach! $300pw, but we are paying $280pw 3months up, which is really cheap for this area. It would be all above board through the agent x
Old Nov 4th 2008, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Geez mate sorry to say but you must have had an easy time getting your visas if this little thing is stopping you at this early stage.

Id have sweat blood and tears to get here and nothing would have stopped us coming.

Get your ass into gear and get looking, there are heaps of places out there.

You can book into a holiday home for a week and pay maybe $700 and find somthing else from then.

Dont throw it all away for such a trivial matter.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nessyp
Geez mate sorry to say but you must have had an easy time getting your visas if this little thing is stopping you at this early stage.

Id have sweat blood and tears to get here and nothing would have stopped us coming.

Get your ass into gear and get looking, there are heaps of places out there.

You can book into a holiday home for a week and pay maybe $700 and find somthing else from then.

Dont throw it all away for such a trivial matter.
I agree, things like this are a drop in the ocean when it comes to actually making the move - and we thought getting visas was the hard part, errrr no, that's pretty easy in comparison with upping sticks and moving to the other side of the world and all the stress etc that comes with it.... and we had it easy compared to a lot of folks but it was still tough.

Book a holiday home, or even a hotel for a few nights.....
Old Nov 6th 2008, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

spadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nicespadgersdad is just really nice

Hi,
Try Domain.com.au or realestate.com.au they may be able to help, dont give up things will work out
Good Luck
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Gnarrabup is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by spadgersdad
Hi,
Try Domain.com.au or realestate.com.au they may be able to help, dont give up things will work out
Good Luck
Sorry, yep it's Perth. Thanks for the hints of course, but have been trashing through all the mentioned sites - 3-4 hours every night on and off for the past 3-4 months - nightly the past 4 weeks. Lease rates for long term seems totally ok - but with familly and friends pulling us back where we are (wife in limbo and both our families against us), a 1-2 month probationary trip is all we can manage at the moment.

Agree with you, but after considering spending $1000 a night it looks totally crazy to me. Job market's going down, no responses to posted applications (with a pretty strong CV by the standards here in Europe). Wife is starting to read negative posts on Perth (we've been there before but haven't spent too much time in the city). She compares it to a cheaper Florida make over and just a joke in comparison to other europeean cities, and I might agree (regarding the city - I love the countryside and the oceans. we've been living all over Europe but hate the winters - still Perth I figured has a climate similar to that of Spain, which is a little on the cold side in the winter). So truth be told, we actually haven't made our homework well enough before applying.

Sorry to spill it all here - but we're about to give this dream up. Or maybe we're just realizing we have it pretty damn good where we are.

Thanks for cheering us on - we'll give it a final chance tonight.
p.s.

Just to give you an idea, our visas took 2½ years, no kidding.

Last edited by Gnarrabup; Nov 6th 2008 at 6:54 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 8:32 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, yep it's Perth. Thanks for the hints of course, but have been trashing through all the mentioned sites - 3-4 hours every night on and off for the past 3-4 months - nightly the past 4 weeks. Lease rates for long term seems totally ok - but with familly and friends pulling us back where we are (wife in limbo and both our families against us), a 1-2 month probationary trip is all we can manage at the moment.

Agree with you, but after considering spending $1000 a night it looks totally crazy to me. Job market's going down, no responses to posted applications (with a pretty strong CV by the standards here in Europe). Wife is starting to read negative posts on Perth (we've been there before but haven't spent too much time in the city). She compares it to a cheaper Florida make over and just a joke in comparison to other europeean cities, and I might agree (regarding the city - I love the countryside and the oceans. we've been living all over Europe but hate the winters - still Perth I figured has a climate similar to that of Spain, which is a little on the cold side in the winter). So truth be told, we actually haven't made our homework well enough before applying.

Sorry to spill it all here - but we're about to give this dream up. Or maybe we're just realizing we have it pretty damn good where we are.

p.s.

Your wife sounds like she doesn't like Perth at all. Why not check out the East side?
Very different.

Look, why not just stay at a camping place, hire a cabin and do it that way. Why pay loads of money?

If you're still in the UK, by the sound of your posts, I think you are, then if you're not in the country, getting taken seriously for a job will be hard. You need to be here, not there.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:33 pm
ABCDiamond

but after considering spending $1000 a night it looks totally crazy to me.
$1,000 a night is definately a joke, or a mistake!?
In this area, furnished holiday rentals are closer to $700 per week. And I am sure this applies in most other States aswell.

Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

p.s.

realestate.com is showing a fully furnished/equipped rental available for a short term lease from 20th Jan. It doesn't say how much but might be worth an enquiry. There is also a short term let available for $900pw. Both places in Hillarys so 5 mins from the beach.

Unfortunately you won't find a cheap short term let by the coast NOR in Perth. Think you will have to reconsider your budget

Good luck.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:20 pm

TiddlyPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by crystal23
realestate.com is showing a fully furnished/equipped rental available for a short term lease from 20th Jan. It doesn't say how much but might be worth an enquiry. There is also a short term let available for $900pw. Both places in Hillarys so 5 mins from the beach.

Unfortunately you won't find a cheap short term let by the coast NOR in Perth. Think you will have to reconsider your budget

Good luck.
Not in Jan either. It's school holidays.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

I lived in Spain and winter here is nothing like it. It rains far more here
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

hereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to beholdhereshoping is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TiddlyPom
Not in Jan either. It's school holidays.
Try gumtree there are always a few people on there looking to break their lease or doing short term lets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.