Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental market in Sydney, your experiences?

Rental market in Sydney, your experiences?

Old Oct 2nd 2005, 6:10 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice
Default Rental market in Sydney, your experiences?

Hi Folks,
We plan to move over to Sydney in early Jan and will be looking for a good quality pad to dos about in for 3ish months whilst we explore the city and find a wee hoose to buy. Can anybody offer any of their experiences on short term rental in the Sydney especially the Northern Beaches area of the city?
In particular, how easily available is furnished accommodation, is there plenty of good quality housing etc.
I know there are plenty of websites around I can look at I was more interested in your personal experiences, you know, the real deal....

Ta
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:24 pm
Living the dream downunde

Location: MeadowBank, Sydney, Aussie Land of Sea,Sun and Seashells
rapitts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rental market in Sydney, your experiences?

Cant help with northern beaches but most accommodation is unfurnished, the other problem is most rentals are for a minimum of 6 months.

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Hi Folks,
We plan to move over to Sydney in early Jan and will be looking for a good quality pad to dos about in for 3ish months whilst we explore the city and find a wee hoose to buy. Can anybody offer any of their experiences on short term rental in the Sydney especially the Northern Beaches area of the city?
In particular, how easily available is furnished accommodation, is there plenty of good quality housing etc.
I know there are plenty of websites around I can look at I was more interested in your personal experiences, you know, the real deal....

Ta
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

I lived in Sydney for a year last year. My experience was much the same as the previous entry... we found that most rentals were for a period of 6 months. However, furnished places are available if you look hard enough. Another option is that some estate agents rent out holiday rentals for short periods from a weekend upwards. We did this when staying in the Blue Mountains. You could see if you could get a deal for a 3 month rental, but it's likely to be a lot more expensive than a standard rent. Try Raine and Horne. Other estate agents are Ray White, and McGrath. We rented our property from Cousins and Co in Sydney. They have a website - you could try them.
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:18 pm
AC/DC!

yamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really niceyamahaha is just really nice

Originally Posted by orange&
I lived in Sydney for a year last year. My experience was much the same as the previous entry... we found that most rentals were for a period of 6 months. However, furnished places are available if you look hard enough. Another option is that some estate agents rent out holiday rentals for short periods from a weekend upwards. We did this when staying in the Blue Mountains. You could see if you could get a deal for a 3 month rental, but it's likely to be a lot more expensive than a standard rent. Try Raine and Horne. Other estate agents are Ray White, and McGrath. We rented our property from Cousins and Co in Sydney. They have a website - you could try them.
Ok thanks for that piece of advice. At least we'll know what to expect.
Cheers
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Originally Posted by yamahaha
Hi Folks,

Ta
Hi there. I live on the Northern Beaches and moved over here late Jan of this year. We found that if you rent properties in the summer i.e. January then they will ask you to sign a lease for 6-9 months, however if you move over in May/June then you can get more 3 month leases as they want to cover winter.

Over in the northen beaches it is mostly unfurnished properties but there are still a few furnished dotted about, depends where you want to go. Manly is quite expensive so if you are willing to move to Dee Why, Cromer, Collaroy etc then you start really getting more for your money there. Normally a 2 bedroomed property in Deewhy etc will be about $280 for something nice, and in Manly you can expect that to jump up to $450-$600 for the same thing.

Use www.domain.com.au and realestate.com.au to give you a hand. Also, buy yourself a map and start working out where the nearest surburbs are that you could move to. People on here will tell you where is a nice place and where not to go.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 2nd 2005, 10:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Frankly, how long is a piece of string?

Our 6 months in Manly in a furnished unit was $720pm: over the odds but there was nothing going. Unfurnished, less. Frankly, most furnished places are fairly naff compared with home, and you can do better by buying stuff or renting, in an unfurnished place.

We are now paying a bit more per week; once again over the odds but in a very nice area. This time it IS unfurnished because we have our own stuff out of store.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 7:55 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Frankly, how long is a piece of string?

Our 6 months in Manly in a furnished unit was $720pm: over the odds but there was nothing going. Unfurnished, less. Frankly, most furnished places are fairly naff compared with home, and you can do better by buying stuff or renting, in an unfurnished place.

We are now paying a bit more per week; once again over the odds but in a very nice area. This time it IS unfurnished because we have our own stuff out of store.
'evening yamahaha, Mrs Scott mentioned at the weekend that finding a short term rental was difficult - not impossible though!

Can vouch for the earlier posts about the suburbs north of and surrounding Manly. Fairlight's nice, Dee Why and surrounding areas are lovely but a fair old hike to work if you're going to be in the CBD.

What about a backpackers - I'm not talking about a dorm or anything but you might be able to find one with a private room? When I was backpacking there were quite a few folks their with pr just trying to live economically whilst sussing the areas out.

Someone on an earlier thread mentioned it being cheaper to rent unfurnished and buy some cheap furniture until your own stuff arrives, then sell the cheap stuff on. Not too bad an idea if it means you can then afford the area you want.

c ya soon.
Old Oct 3rd 2005, 9:54 pm
AC/DC!

Originally Posted by herrchook
'evening yamahaha, Mrs Scott mentioned at the weekend that finding a short term rental was difficult - not impossible though!

What about a backpackers - I'm not talking about a dorm or anything but you might be able to find one with a private room? When I was backpacking

c ya soon.
Yeah, we spoke about that, dont remeber much of the conversation, I blame the Hoegaarden, its not a big deal really.

Backpackers...BACKPACKERS??? you gotta be kidding, what do you take me for some kind of crusty? We're far too old and cosmo for that , think of all those smelly drunken travellers trying to nick all my beer!! We'll just stay in a hotel for a couple of weeks whilst we wait for our gear to arrive.