Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rental market around christmas

rental market around christmas

Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice
Default rental market around christmas

hi

hoping to arrive end of october in Brisbane.. we have 6 weeks furnished accommodation provided but as our 457 hasnt been issued yet I feel we may not be flying til later which then puts us on leaving our furnished accommodation at christmas.

How long is the rental market affected by the holidays? Does Austrlia shut down like the Uk for a week- and we all have to shop as if the world has ended.... will our shipping be delayed??

any advice please as having two young children we could do without the christmas being very disrupted..
thanks

Helen
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

Eloisa will become famous soon enough
Default Re: rental market around christmas

We were looking last Christmas for our 2nd rental and found that the estate agents did close for 2 weeks over the Christmas period. My advice would be to start looking and contacting local agents as soon as you are able to. Get all your documents and referee info in place at each agent as soon as you can. Not that you should panic but if the agents can see you are a serious custome and you have everything prepared then it makes their job easier too. You may find that there are lots of properties out there as was the case last year for us but whether you'd want to live in them is a different matter! Is there not an option to extend your furnished accom if your shipping is delayed?
Old Sep 10th 2010, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

heldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really niceheldownunder is just really nice

Thanks for the advice i need to research what documents we need. Our budget is upto $600 pw so that should help. Short term accomm is $200 per night ( we r not paying) so rather expensive to continue. Its difficult with the children.
Old Sep 10th 2010, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Eloisa will become famous soon enough

$1400 is steep. I assume you will have to work around your container arriving? Documents are Passport, Drivers license, Medicare card etc. We submitted Mortgage statements too just to show we made regular payments, not sure if that really helps. Referees we found were contacted, usually by phone.

It is difficult with children. We were in furnished last year with children and it wasn't the best accomodation If I am honest. It was a dull day in Sydney, the decorations were sparse (ours were en route) but we had a great day, it'll all work out ok, you'll see. Try and make a friend of your local estate agents, I think it helps.