rental lengths

Old Jun 11th 2007, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about
Default rental lengths

Hi
we are off to Melbourne in October - was looking at getting a rental to start with and then buying something (hopefully when the exchange rates recover - but thats another story!). what is the normal length of agreement - 6m or 12m and do they normally have break clauses in?
cheers
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:40 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rental lengths

To give you an idea on times (I'm in Sydney)
6mth or 12 - depends how tight the rental market is. Landlords maybe more willing to accept 12mths.

Normally if a house is going to auction it is on the market around 4 or 5weeks before the auction date and settlement is usually 5 wks after the auction (which would cover the 4wks notice on the rental (in our contract anyway), after the min period).

The market is dead from Xmas to mid-late Jan REA like to take extra time off after Xmas/NY presumably to spend all that money they made in the previous year! Then there is a flurry of activety as new properties come to the market & the REA relaunch properties that have not shifted the previous year.

Given that Feb (& peak of property cycle) is 6mths after your arrival it maybe worth pushing for a 6mth contract if you can. I would also get to open houses & auctions ASAP to get a feel on availablity/price/area etc This is what it is like from my experience in Sydney, so better check if any differences in Melbourne
Old Jun 11th 2007, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rental lengths

Originally Posted by chmaiden
Hi
we are off to Melbourne in October - was looking at getting a rental to start with and then buying something (hopefully when the exchange rates recover - but thats another story!). what is the normal length of agreement - 6m or 12m and do they normally have break clauses in?
cheers
Usually 12 month lease and if you break it you have to continue paying rent and to cover advertising costs until the agents have found new renters. The rental market is pretty crazy at the moment, friends of mine had to agree to a 2 year lease and offer $100 more a week to secure a property in Melbourne only last week.