Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental Home Checklist?

Rental Home Checklist?

Old May 7th 2014, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Rental Home Checklist?

Just wanted some suggestions/advice of things we need to know, be aware of and look out for when renting a home in Sydney.

Here in NZ we have to look out for dodgy concealed damp problems (masked by fresh paint jobs, musty wardrobes, hidden dehumidifiers and excess bleaching), not to mention getting a house on the right side of a hill so we get winter sunlight and less condensation. It's a world away from living in a UK house with central heating and double glazing. We got it quite wrong with our first rental in NZ and had to live through a 6 month rental contract in a cold, damp, cat flea, ant and roach invaded icebox with 'interesting' plumbing before we found something much better. Don't want to make the same mistake twice!!

Are there similar dodgy things to be aware of in Sydney?

Anything else? Bond? Dodgy Contract terms? Utility bills or rates?

I'm obviously going to have to research all this stuff, but if anyone can help me out and point me in the right direction before I start looking, that would be appreciated
Old May 7th 2014, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental Home Checklist?

Unfortunately I'm no help at all as never even visited Sydney, however it might help Sydneysiders know which area you're aiming for? Where will you be working etc as I suspect different areas have different "pressures".

Ex-Backpacker (now 457's) friends live near Bondi, they were warned about roaches, roaches and more roaches but turned out not to be an issue at all!
Old May 7th 2014, 4:08 am
Forum Regular

Pine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond reputePine Cone has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at Hornsby or Sutherland Shire. Both at the periphery of the city with good commuter train links, from what I can tell. More importantly, plenty of affordable family accommodation within the $700pw max budget.

So far the only advice I've been given is avoid going too far inland west as it gets stupidly hot, don't go SW as it gets rougher the further you go. Oh, and I've been told horror stories about gardens full of venomous snakes if you live somewhere green. Sounds a bit overkill to me. If it was really that bad, no one would live there surely.
Old May 8th 2014, 6:23 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Rental Home Checklist?

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Just wanted some suggestions/advice of things we need to know, be aware of and look out for when renting a home in Sydney.

Here in NZ we have to look out for dodgy concealed damp problems (masked by fresh paint jobs, musty wardrobes, hidden dehumidifiers and excess bleaching), not to mention getting a house on the right side of a hill so we get winter sunlight and less condensation. It's a world away from living in a UK house with central heating and double glazing. We got it quite wrong with our first rental in NZ and had to live through a 6 month rental contract in a cold, damp, cat flea, ant and roach invaded icebox with 'interesting' plumbing before we found something much better. Don't want to make the same mistake twice!!

Are there similar dodgy things to be aware of in Sydney?

Anything else? Bond? Dodgy Contract terms? Utility bills or rates?

I'm obviously going to have to research all this stuff, but if anyone can help me out and point me in the right direction before I start looking, that would be appreciated
There are no damp issues in Sydney like there are in Auckland. Bond is 1 months rent, the contracts are a standard contract which will be the same with every property. Utility bills are paid by you, rates are paid by the landlord.

BB
Old May 11th 2014, 1:14 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Probably the same in New Zealand but the main item to look out for which has featured across all three rentals that we've had in Aus is the condition report that we get when moving in. Whether deliberate or not (more likely just a lack of attention to detail on the part of the EA), the report always misses lots of faults. New tenants have something like two weeks to correct or accept it. Failure to pick up poor condition items can result in you "owning" them and being responsible for replacing/correcting them - compliments of your deposit when you move out. We take photos of poor condition items and get the EA to sign off a CD containing them too.
Old May 11th 2014, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paulry
Probably the same in New Zealand but the main item to look out for which has featured across all three rentals that we've had in Aus is the condition report that we get when moving in. Whether deliberate or not (more likely just a lack of attention to detail on the part of the EA), the report always misses lots of faults. New tenants have something like two weeks to correct or accept it. Failure to pick up poor condition items can result in you "owning" them and being responsible for replacing/correcting them - compliments of your deposit when you move out. We take photos of poor condition items and get the EA to sign off a CD containing them too.
Yes, we've had this in NZ too. I am now in the habit of taking photos of every room, and damage and dirt, plus garden every time we have moved.
Old May 11th 2014, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately cockroaches can be a big problem in Sydney, especially with rentals and these critters are no respecter of income or rental cost.

No doubt some here will say they have never seen one in 20 odd years of living here but I would say many will have.

The problem is the rental market in Sydney is so fluid, so many people shifting around from rental to rental. Cockroaches get in the fridge workings, dishwasher, washing machine and oven and then these get taken with people when they move and infest a whole new unit block very quickly. Once you have been in a place with them it is very easy to take them with you.

I have viewed a few rentals in the past that have cockroach baits on the floor and a tin of bug spray on view. Clear sign there is a problem. Some people here learn to live with them and some go all out chemical warfare.

Damp and condensation can be a big issue in Sydney, especially in winter with the cool nights and warm days. Condensation can be streaming down the windows on a July morning. Those inner city old terraces that sell for millions can be cold damp places. Not many windows and not much light, but the yuppies want to be close to the city so will pay big $ for these terraces that they rip out and do up, but they remain dark and damp.

Snakes you don't need to worry about. Even if you lived in the Blue Mountains or backing on to a reserve where they are about they will move away from you, they have no interest in you at all. If you have a dog you would need to watch them carefully though.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jon77
Condensation can be streaming down the windows on a July morning.
Sounds like Auckland. We get condensation from May through to late September, so it can't be any worse that I'm used to.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Make sure the landlord isn't Greek or Italian.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by renth
Make sure the landlord isn't Greek or Italian.
Why, is that bad?
Old May 13th 2014, 1:54 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pine Cone
Why, is that bad?
Yes it is, this video pretty much sums it up

http://vimeo.com/68618204
Old May 14th 2014, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Molly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond reputeMolly Coddle has a reputation beyond repute

class!

Pine Cone, he's only winding up up..... I think.
Old May 14th 2014, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

TimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of lightTimbersBack is a glorious beacon of light

Not spcifically for rentals, but we creted a suite of checklists here.

http://www.422.com.au/the-hub/moving-checklists/
Old May 15th 2014, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

Ha ha ha! That reminds me of a couple of the rental agents years ago when we were students looking around for digs.