Rental dispute

Old Jul 13th 2012, 12:43 am
Just Joined

dazzler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rental dispute

Please ignore previous grammar, typing on the run lol
Old Jul 13th 2012, 5:35 am
Bright in Orange

Scotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond reputeScotty1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcv
Hi all,

Just vaccated a property after renting it for 2.5 yrs.Whilst there my 14yr old daughter accidentally put a hot pan on the kitchen benchtop,and burnt a 6" ring into it.
So now we have vaccated the agent has done their inspection and picked up this damage.
They have now contacted us to say the landlord wants the whole kitchen benchtop replaced at a cost of $2200.

our question is should we pay for the whole benchtop to be replaced (3 sections and a breakfast bar) or just a percentage cost wise.The kitchen is prob a good 10-15yrs old.We have checked our insurance policy and it doesnt cover accidental damage.

What are our options here?

thanks Richard
I would agree with Dazzler - tell them the landlord is being unreasonable and you elect to go to tribunal.
They are likely to then come back with a more reasonable suggestion and then up to you - but I would not be paying more than a proportion of the cost. Don't refuse to pay anything - just that the benchtop is elderly and you should only be paying a proportion.
It is likely that they will have landlord insurance (or they should have).
Good luck
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:39 am
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice

Hi all,

Thanks guys for your comments and suggestions,I will email the agent and ask for a breakdown of the estimate that they have asked us to pay.Im sure they just plucked this figure out of the sky.Then i will see what they say and take it from there.

Thanks Richard
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:10 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Can't see an owner wanting to give up any credits they have with their insurers.

Its accidental damage not malicious. Wont effect the policy
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

The landlord will have to replace the surface, but he can do it far more cheaply than the quoted price. Take it to the tribunal, but before you do, make them a fair offer in writing, say $400. If they turn it down, then it will go against them when the tribunal considers the case.
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 11:40 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcv
Hi all,

Just vaccated a property after renting it for 2.5 yrs.Whilst there my 14yr old daughter accidentally put a hot pan on the kitchen benchtop,and burnt a 6" ring into it.
So now we have vaccated the agent has done their inspection and picked up this damage.
They have now contacted us to say the landlord wants the whole kitchen benchtop replaced at a cost of $2200.

our question is should we pay for the whole benchtop to be replaced (3 sections and a breakfast bar) or just a percentage cost wise.The kitchen is prob a good 10-15yrs old.We have checked our insurance policy and it doesnt cover accidental damage.

What are our options here?

thanks Richard
I would have offered to replace the section that was damaged but before the inspection. Now, I would try and negotiate to pay for the separate section only. The problem you have is that if the kitchen is as old as you say it is it might not be possible for them to get a matching section, which is why they want the whole thing replaced. And let's face it, most landlords take every opportunity they can to have their tenants pay for their properties, it's just human nature.

I am renting at the moment and anticipate similar issues when I leave, only in our case the problems really are wear and tear, and no problems caused by negligence, etc. My assessment of the landlord's character leads me to believe she will attempt to withhold the money from our bond to pay for the issues. To deal with this in advance, I am contacting them every few months with a few of the problems for them to come over and fix as is their responsibility as the landlord in law, and this will mean the place is faultless when it comes to the final inspection, and there will be no cause for them to withhold any part of the bond.

If you can't negotiate below the price of the bond - and I suspect they will make sure it is cheaper for you to pay than lose your bond - then the nuclear option is to walk away and lose the bond.

Last edited by Zen10; Jul 23rd 2012 at 11:42 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:26 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazzler
Hi Guys,

As I Licensed Estate Agent for a few years now this one caught my eye. I have spoken with Property Management Office Manager for their opinion and this outcome was that if the benchtops are 15ish years old and you ended up going to VCAT over this, it would get thrown out. We have had many cases of landlords claiming for paint and carpets that are over seven years old and VCAT has ruled in favour of the tenant, and also cases of slight benchtop damage to old kitchens (older than 10 years) and again VCAT has ruled in favour of the tenant. My suggestion would be to call the rental agents bluff and elect to go to VCAT, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
This is good advice. Any landlord SHOULD know that tribunals tend to favour the tenant in these kinds of disputes, as sadly there are two many landlords who treat their tenants with contempt and try to screw them for as much as possible. (Okay, there may be some nightmare tenants too, but as a percentage I think the landlords have it.)

In your situation I would recognise that damage has been done and offer what I feel to be a fair amount by way of compensation and goodwill - NOT replacement cost though, given its age. (I don't know the extent of the damage, but I would probably offer around $250) The amount quoted definitely looks like someone trying to screw you.

When I rented in NSW, if the rental was arranged through an agent (or the proper method), a government agency held the bond. What no one ever tells you is that THE TENANT can apply for return of the bond once they've given notice. This puts you in a far better position, as the agency then receives notice that you've applied, and it's up to them and/or the landlord to contest the return of the full amount if they feel they should be compensated for damage. I don't know if this applies in other states/territories.

Good luck.

Big.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:35 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
What no one ever tells you is that THE TENANT can apply for return of the bond once they've given notice.
This is really interesting information. I just checked and this is the same for South Australia at least. Nowhere on the SA government website page where it says this does it say the tenant can apply for it when they give notice though.

"Bonds are lodged with Consumer and Business Services (CBS) who keep it until the end of the tenancy.

All or part of the bond can be claimed by the landlord if you:

cause property damage

are in rent arrears

breach other conditions in the lease agreement.

If no claims are made the bond will be returned to you, your guarantor or to Housing SA if they provided a bond on your behalf.

If you think a bond is being claimed unfairly you can dispute it - see Disputing a bond claim."

Looks like the landlord has first claim on the bond?
Old Jul 24th 2012, 3:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Big Galah
When I rented in NSW, if the rental was arranged through an agent (or the proper method), a government agency held the bond. What no one ever tells you is that THE TENANT can apply for return of the bond once they've given notice. This puts you in a far better position, as the agency then receives notice that you've applied, and it's up to them and/or the landlord to contest the return of the full amount if they feel they should be compensated for damage. I don't know if this applies in other states/territories.

This is what I've been told in Queensland. We are having issues at the moment with our real estate agent and we've been waiting on them to fix 2 bedroom air conditioners for 19 months!! I have been in contact with the Tenancy Advice Bureau and they have instructed me on the steps I need to take - I've just told the agent we want a rent decrease with compensation from when the issue was first raised. Wait and see how they react to that one...otherwise its on to QCAT.

Anyway, one of the things they also said was that we are to apply for the bond ahead of the agent...they told me that we are to send the form to the RTA (in QLD) the day before we are to hand back the keys because RTA doesn't want that form until the keys have been returned. So if I send it express mail the day before we vacate, it should arrive to them on the day we move out....beating the agent to the punch, so to speak. Anyway, the Tenancy Advice Bureau have been extremely helpful and have said they want me to ring them when I'm ready to give notice to leave and when we're ready to apply for the bond back.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 7:20 am
mcv
Forum Regular

mcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nicemcv is just really nice

Hi All,

so far we have had the agent saying we need to pay the landlord $2200 sent to us via email ,we have now asked for a 2nd quote.which we will then ask for a copy and a breakdown.i suspect the original cost was just made up with no actual quote ever been done.

thanks all for you input

any ideas the costs involved in taking the landlord to tribunal in victoria?

Richard
Old Jul 24th 2012, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like fair wear & tear to me, particularly if the bench top is by the stove top. There was an article recently in The Age about rental bonds and what can count as wear & tear, which is quite a vague description. Interestingly it also mentioned that steam cleaning carpets at the end of a tenancy isn't required although tenancy agreements normally include the requirement to do so.
Originally Posted by cresta57
Then they put you on the tenant blacklist & no real estate will touch you for future rentals.
Dependent on if this estate agent uses a blacklist register, and if the future agent uses it too. In any case, the agent would need to inform you if they put you on the list, and the reason why - and you would be on there for 3 years. I believe you can also dispute being placed onto the register through VCAT.
Old Jul 24th 2012, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mcv
Hi All,

so far we have had the agent saying we need to pay the landlord $2200 sent to us via email ,we have now asked for a 2nd quote.which we will then ask for a copy and a breakdown.i suspect the original cost was just made up with no actual quote ever been done.

thanks all for you input

any ideas the costs involved in taking the landlord to tribunal in victoria?

Richard
We took our agent & landlord to small claim court you only pay around $100 but that was in Qld I don't think it'll be much more of that in Vic, good luck.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

Hi mcv, if it were me, I would get a joiner round and get my own quote. So you know in your own mind how much you are looking at.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Sounds like fair wear & tear to me, particularly if the bench top is by the stove top. There was an article recently in The Age about rental bonds and what can count as wear & tear, which is quite a vague description. Interestingly it also mentioned that steam cleaning carpets at the end of a tenancy isn't required although tenancy agreements normally include the requirement to do so.
The tenant has already admited they damaged the bench top but is desputing the replacement cost. I don't think it would be fair on the landlord if they claimed wear and tear when really it's damage.

Interestingly our landlord has put our property on the market. He wanted to do viewings when it wasn't appropriate (we couldn't decide on amicable times) but as a tenant you've kind of got them over a barrel when you've got 9 months left to run on the lease and you can only sell your property to an investor. The landlord also wasn't prepared to reduce the rent to make up for time lost whilst viewings and after viewing cleaning (cleaning up muddy footprints). So in the end we came to a great agreement of a few weeks free rent in return for moving out early.

You've got to stick to your guns and keep negotiating with these people. Eventually you can bore them into submission.
Old Jul 25th 2012, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
The tenant has already admited they damaged the bench top but is desputing the replacement cost. I don't think it would be fair on the landlord if they claimed wear and tear when really it's damage.
That's the issue with the term wear and tear, it's quite vague and can only be tested at VCAT.

A couple of things to note that could be relevant: If there is disagreement on the division of the bond, then the agent needs to apply to VCAT within 10 business days of the tenants vacating the property. Also, If the agent/landlord wishes to claim more than the bond then they must apply to VCAT for this.

So definitely don't claim responsibility to the agent, and also don't pay, or offer to pay, anything on top of the bond as it needs to go to tribunal. This can be found in the booklet you were given by the agent on or before the day you moved in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.