Rental checks

Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Rental checks

Hi, I am trying to organise a rental in Townsville from England to be ready for when we arrive. I have filled in the forms and am awaiting a message to say if we have been accepted as prospective tenants.

The question is, what can the agents check on from over there?
Can my landlord give them any information?
They can't do credit checks and so have to go on what we earn over here at the moment.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 10:41 pm
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rental checks

Originally Posted by kellz
Hi, I am trying to organise a rental in Townsville from England to be ready for when we arrive. I have filled in the forms and am awaiting a message to say if we have been accepted as prospective tenants.

They can't do credit checks and so have to go on what we earn over here at the moment.
They check on references - if you have any listed on the application. If not they will want evidence that you have a house/mortgage etc, and are going to look after the place. Most of the time they will want a reference that you will need to provide before they even consider you.

Generally they will look to ensure you have enough money for 6 months (or will get 6 months pay). Ie you have payslips or bank statements showing enough money or regular income.

They wont go checking your credit - you need to provide everything you think you need to to present yourself in the best possible light. If you don't the chances are you wont be good enough and may go for someone else. Its really up to you to sell yourself.
Old Aug 30th 2010, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

snurse42 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, we had never rented in the UK when we sorted out our rent here but we provided 2 personal refernces from home plus my OH had a contract of employment here and a reference from his new employer. We also included copies of our bank statement and mortgage statement. Hope that helps
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Is this a long term rental? Most agents will not let you rent the property without seeing it, no matter how much you say you are fine with that. And what if you don't like it when you get there?

We are new arrivals and have just gone through the securing a property process. The only reference I provided was a pre-written two liner from the estate agent in UK renting out my house saying what a well kept property it was. We also provided our contracts of employment, bank statements and id.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Most agents will not let you rent the property without seeing it, no matter how much you say you are fine with that. And what if you don't like it when you get there?
This point is definitely well worth thinking about if it is a long term rental you are talking about - our experience of looking at rentals was that the picture(s) on the website often in no way shape or form resembled the actual reality of the house when you got there. We saw houses that were described as well maintained that had great big holes in the walls and stank of mould when you got there.
If you can afford it I would recommend arranging a serviced appartment or similar for at least a few weeks. Then when you get here you can get your bearings, scout out areas and you will have a much better chance of getting a decent place if you are here when you apply.
Old Aug 31st 2010, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
This point is definitely well worth thinking about if it is a long term rental you are talking about - our experience of looking at rentals was that the picture(s) on the website often in no way shape or form resembled the actual reality of the house when you got there. We saw houses that were described as well maintained that had great big holes in the walls and stank of mould when you got there.
That was exactly our experience. On the internet I found our dream rental several times only to be very disappointed on the day!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't !! Take the standard advise - don't sign for a rental until you have actually seen it!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Don't !! Take the standard advise - don't sign for a rental until you have actually seen it!
Completely agree! We have seen a few places where they have clearly used old photos on the web which have borne no relation to the terrible current state of the property!
Old Aug 31st 2010, 4:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Is this a long term rental? Most agents will not let you rent the property without seeing it, no matter how much you say you are fine with that. And what if you don't like it when you get there?

We are new arrivals and have just gone through the securing a property process. The only reference I provided was a pre-written two liner from the estate agent in UK renting out my house saying what a well kept property it was. We also provided our contracts of employment, bank statements and id.
A good tip
Old Aug 31st 2010, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

kellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud ofkellz has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Rental checks

I have had a friend view the house for me, he had seen the pictures on the website and gave it a good going over. There don't appear to be any problems with the property.

Because I have 2 children and little money, and my husband is from the area and knows it well, we have to take the chance. I won't be signing a long lease, will know more when they get back to me.
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

I have had a friend view the house for me, he had seen the pictures on the website and gave it a good going over. There don't appear to be any problems with the property.

Because I have 2 children and little money, and my husband is from the area and knows it well, we have to take the chance. I won't be signing a long lease, will know more when they get back to me.
If you have had someone look at it for you & you already know the area, that is different entirely.

Lots of luck with your move