Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental applications got rejected

Rental applications got rejected

Old Sep 11th 2011, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of
Default Rental applications got rejected

All of my rental applications got rejected...... no rental history in Sydney, no employment. More than 10-20 people are showing up for every property viewing..... its so bloody competitive. What to do? Is there a regional area I should move to where it might be easier to find a rental? Staying in a hotel is burning out my cash quickly. H...E...L...P......
Old Sep 11th 2011, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

bogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to all
Default Re: Rental applications got rejected

Try properties that don't have open viewings as there should be less competition for them.

Also, you don't need to stay in a hotel. If I was you I'd get cheapest hostel and pay less than $1k for one month.

If you're still unsuccessful, get a shared flat until you find a job, there lots of ads on gumtree. This way you will have plenty of time to find a job and will be in a different position when applying for a rental.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DhakaBoy
All of my rental applications got rejected...... no rental history in Sydney, no employment. More than 10-20 people are showing up for every property viewing..... its so bloody competitive. What to do? Is there a regional area I should move to where it might be easier to find a rental? Staying in a hotel is burning out my cash quickly. H...E...L...P......
So if you have no employment yet then the ability topay is probably the main concern with landlords. Have you put together a rental pack? If not you should do this, we had one with all out documents, plus a covering letter about ourselves (professional couple, no children, house owners back in the UK etc etc) and definitely you will need to include proof of savings.

Try and see houses outside the main viewing times and perhaps offer to pay up front, it might not be required but offering to do so could help.

Good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2011, 10:30 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking, DB? Is it the really popular rental areas? Might be worth a change of tactics.

When we were looking and were getting crushed in the rush at the viewings, e.g., Paddington and Balmain, we figured we'd have no chance and looked a bit further afield. Then had no problem, even with 3 cats.

(When I say further, it was only McMahons Point, just over the harbour bridge )

Don't forget your references - even our cats had those.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

The big question will be how will you pay for the rental each month if you arent working?

We have just secured a rental in Ryde area (after a few rejections), and had a pack including photocopies of our passports, visas, driving licences, mortgage statement from uk, energy bills from the uk,written reference for me from someone I had rented a room from 5 years ago, copy of husbands work contract including his salary, copy of his offer of employement and phone numbers for both his team leader and line manager as referees, and a print out showing the money we currently have in an australian bank account (which would cover more than a couple of months rent).

I also spent one complete week going in and out of estate agents shops, getting to know them, constantly asking if they had any more properties come on to their lists - we got one that hadnt even gone onto the lists by doing this - it meant no open viewings with 12+ other people to compete against. This was after the first two weeks of open viewings and rejections from a couple of properties that we liked.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

steen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud ofsteen1976 has much to be proud of

We had a couple of rejections too and I reckon it was down to me not being employed at the time. So on the next one I offered 3 months up front. Whether that was the deal breaker or not I don't know but it worked and we got it.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Jon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond reputeJon77 has a reputation beyond repute

We had exactly the same problem regarding getting a good rental and we both had good jobs and previous renting history!!!!!

We went to see a house in Lane Cove one Saturday morning and I kid you not there were at least 80 people walking in. Many were already filling out their application forms before the door even opened up.

After the viewing we took our completed forms straight to the Estate Agent. I asked how many others had submitted so far and she said 8!!!!! And that was 20 minutes after the viewing closed.

We didn't get it of course, but the following week we did get a nice house rental. The landlord worked for the same company as me a good few years back and liked that I think
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you are having trouble but, as a new landlord, I have to say the bit in bold would lead me to automatically put your application in the "no" pile.

As others have said, if you have no job how are you going to pay the rent? That would be my one main concern about your application.

As others have also said, what areas are you looking at? Perhaps you have to start looking further out from the CBD? Or lowering your expectation of the number of bedrooms etc.

Good luck though it is a very tough market to get into but keep at it.

Last edited by tartankoala; Sep 12th 2011 at 11:06 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the other poster, share accommodation first - it will be cheaper and you will build up some local renting history while you get yourself an income.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jon77
We had exactly the same problem regarding getting a good rental and we both had good jobs and previous renting history!!!!!

We went to see a house in Lane Cove one Saturday morning and I kid you not there were at least 80 people walking in. Many were already filling out their application forms before the door even opened up.

After the viewing we took our completed forms straight to the Estate Agent. I asked how many others had submitted so far and she said 8!!!!! And that was 20 minutes after the viewing closed.

We didn't get it of course, but the following week we did get a nice house rental. The landlord worked for the same company as me a good few years back and liked that I think
Yeah its pretty tight in rentals and I think it will become a lot tighter, I was listening to the radio today and they were talking about the housing bubble in WA, the mining industry and potential unemployment.

They reckon that if there are job losses in mining sector it could upset the economy in WA and as people would move back east seeking a mainstream job and putting more pressure in an already tight market.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

DhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud ofDhakaBoy has much to be proud of

Just got approved! Thanks EVERYONE!!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Just got approved! Thanks EVERYONE!!
Well done.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 2:37 pm
Sammi T

Sammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really niceSammi T is just really nice

Hi all,

We will be in this position in a couple of months, looking for rentals and jobs once we arrive in SA. Thank you for your questions and answers, this has helped us to plan our rental pack before we leave the UK.

Great stuff!! thanks again.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:05 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon77
That suggests that the rent for the property was below the market rate.
Old Sep 17th 2011, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
That suggests that the rent for the property was below the market rate.
Serious question... Not that I'm renting...

In that kind of situation does the agent then negotiate... "better offers" than the advertised rent...

Gazumping in rentals

Just interested

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.