Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental advice in Perth

Rental advice in Perth

Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all
Default Rental advice in Perth

I'm on my final reccie in July / August 2010 before we all mover over as a family in January 2011. My purpose is to hopefully make things much easier for my family.

I would much appreciate your advice as to whether it is possible and sensible to place a deposit on some rental accommodation in August so that we have some accommodation to go to in the January.

I know most British families aim for the coast but I was talking to an Aussie who lives nearer the city, COMO, and she felt somewhere like Como offered better value for money than somewhere like Ocean Reef and Port Kennedy because of its easy access to both the City and coastal area. Certainly the rent and house prices appear to be very much the same!
Any views on that point?
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all
Default Re: Rental advice in Perth

certainly would make things easier when you go out, assuming there are no hitches before then though.

we were out in sept and are planning to move at end of feb, i have been trawling the web for rentals but there does not seem to be much on offer beyond the end of jan at the moment. Most properties seem to be available immediately and Ive certainly been having trouble planning much in advance.

If you happen to come across rentals in Perth (we are looking at CBD) that are further in advance then give me a shout

Good luck
Old Jan 9th 2010, 2:49 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

When we came out we booked a furnished holiday home for 3 weeks which gave us enough time to look for a nice rental & apply.. There were 5 couples after the same house as us ...We offered the owner a 12 month contract & paid 3 months rent in advance... we managed to get a reference from a estate Agent back in the UK before we came (never rented in our lives b4 but they didnt seem to mind doing us one) & we supplied a copy of our bank statement showing that we had funds available to pay the rent.... We viewed the house on a Thursday & moved in the following Wednesday, our container arrived the next day..
Could work our quite expensive to rent a house here that your not actually living in.... Depending on the area you wanna live in your rent could be anthing from $400 to $550 a week Try www.holidaylettings.co.uk for holiday accomodation...
Old Jan 10th 2010, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance
I would much appreciate your advice as to whether it is possible and sensible to place a deposit on some rental accommodation in August so that we have some accommodation to go to in the January.
It will be extremely unlikely that you will find a rental in August that's available from the following January.

Renters (generally) only have to give 21 days notice that they want to leave a property. A rental agent will therefore not know in August which of their properties will be available the following January.

Best way is to rent some furnished accommodation till your container arrives. Because this type of accommodation is rented on a short-term bais it is easier to book in advance. Have a look here (you can see the properties and the availability): http://www.aussiemove.com/city/city.asp?c=7&f=3