British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Rental Accommodation? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/rental-accommodation-109688/)

a1macc Jul 21st 2002 11:26 pm

Rental Accommodation?

HI,

Does anyone know of the formalties (i.e references, deposits, length of lease etc) for renting property in Australia. How easy is it for new arrivals to meet these formalities, particularly when it comes to references?

Ta
A1

Robert Edwards Jul 22nd 2002 5:20 am

Re: Rental Accommodation?

Hi A1,

As a general rule Agents will require some form of reference if you have rented
before, if not many will accept other types of references as to your conduct and
ability or history to pay etc......maybe from an employer, bank or person of standing
.......even if outside Australia.......so maybe there is someone where you are now
who would fit this requirement.......the laws pertaining to deposits and other
administrative arrangements change form State to State as these matters are governed
by State law although there are from my knowledge in the industry there are many
similarities. By using the term "Deposit" are you referring to a BOND? if so this can
be 3 to 4 times the weekly rental and is required to be held by the State Rental Bond
Board not the Agent. As for Lease situations this is somewhat more flexible and up to
the owner/agent arrangements but six and twelve month leases are the norm though
after having served an initial lease period then monthly is generally acceptable
depending on your rapport with the Agent. Hope this is of some help to you let me
know if you require more as I am qualified in this area in the State of Queensland.

Rob Edwards www.australianaustralia.com

"a1macc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > HI,

britbird Jul 22nd 2002 5:32 pm

We are about to enter QLD in September and want to rent in the north (Albany Creek area). Looks like rentals turn round quite quickly and seems to run like the system here in the UK.
When leaving a rented property, it seems as though you hire a cleaning company to delouse the place, which seem bliss as we have to do this here ourselves. They seem quite stringent on the cleanliness of a property when vacating (Quite rightly so!)
We have a small dog which is posing probs as not many places seem willing to rent out to pet owners, which I can understand. We have got our letting agent here in the UK to write a reference for both us and the dog!
Do you have to provide a upfront payment for a months rent AND the bond?
Love Britbird

a1macc Jul 23rd 2002 8:26 am

Thanks for the info.

Having never rented in the UK (only ever held a mortgage) I'm not sure who I will get a reference from before I go. Will need to put my thinking cap on!