Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rental 3 or 6 months? Help!!!

Rental 3 or 6 months? Help!!!

Old Feb 19th 2005, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Was Reading Berks. Now Palm Beach (summer bay), Sydney NSW
Ady Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really nice
Question Rental 3 or 6 months? Help!!!

Hi All,
In a bit of a dilemma. I am a skilled 136 independent, non modl, April 13th applicant. We have sold our house and buyers are keen to complete and exchange this month. We don't want to lose them as we got a good price for the house! We need to go into rented accomidation,but the question is for how long? We have no idea how much longer we will be waiting for our visa but I am hoping less than 3 months. We can get a rental for 3 months but it's not great (waiting to be renovated) but is livable. We have an abundance of properties available for 6 months but don't really want to committ for that long because the plan is as soon as the visa hits the doormat then we're out of here!!
What would you do 3 months in little more than a squat or 6 months in an ok place but waiting longer or losing money if it lands sooner rather than later?

All suggestions gratefully recieved!!

Thanks.
Ady
Old Feb 19th 2005, 10:20 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all
Default Re: Rental 3 or 6 months? Help!!!

Originally Posted by Ady Whit
Hi All,
In a bit of a dilemma. I am a skilled 136 independent, non modl, April 13th applicant. We have sold our house and buyers are keen to complete and exchange this month. We don't want to lose them as we got a good price for the house! We need to go into rented accomidation,but the question is for how long? We have no idea how much longer we will be waiting for our visa but I am hoping less than 3 months. We can get a rental for 3 months but it's not great (waiting to be renovated) but is livable. We have an abundance of properties available for 6 months but don't really want to committ for that long because the plan is as soon as the visa hits the doormat then we're out of here!!
What would you do 3 months in little more than a squat or 6 months in an ok place but waiting longer or losing money if it lands sooner rather than later?

Thanks.
Ady

Bit of a dilemma, eh? As I see it, mate, you have several choices:

1. Contact your case officer and see if they can give you any idea of how long to go.

2. Take the six month rental and commit to using the extra time wisely. You'll probably need more time than you realise once your visa comes through anyway: packing up, arranging removalists; notifying various government and corporate bodies of your change of address; organising money transfers; arranging the last minute details; and all the other myriad of things to do before you move halfway around the world, etc.

3. Take the three month rental and, if necessary, take it month by month after the initial three months runs out.

4. Post details of where you are at with your application here and see if anyone can help you. This option really needs a crystal ball though!

Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old Feb 20th 2005, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

FITCHETT FAMILY will become famous soon enough

Hiya,
It doesnt matter what time scale you take out on a rented property, the 6 month bit is for your benifit and not the landlords. If you make sure that in the contract you you can leave after giving a months notice it is fine.
We were on a six month contract as from may 04 , now we havnt even signed another 1 , we told them just to leave it rolling month to month.
Dont worry you have all the cards.
Cheers
Damian & Tina
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

angel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond reputeangel17796 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ady Whit
Hi All,

Thanks.
Ady
Hi there we were in the same boat. We have rented here for a year and a half and we were to renew our agreement right now even though we had this property till the 30th April 2005. We asked the landlord if we could do it month to month or even 3 months at a time on the basis that we have rented off him for a while and have been very good tenants but he said no. What we have done is take another 6 months lease from april but we can give him 2 months notice at any time for when we want to leave.

We didnt want to be stuck in a lease either as it really is expensive and then you have to wait a few weeks to get your deposit back. I think it all depends on what your agent and landlord is like. I hope you find something soon and good luck.
Old Feb 20th 2005, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure of the answer to your question, but just be careful!!! We have had a nightmare with our rental. Stupidly paid up front so had no redress after putting up with a dodgy boiler. We have spent most of the British Winter with sporadic heating and no hot water. The house is freezing anyway, as the Landlord didn't see fit to put in any window furnishings.

We cannot WAIT to leave. Oh and this was for an extortionate monthly rental.

If only we didn't have to rent in Oz
Old Feb 21st 2005, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Reading Berks. Now Palm Beach (summer bay), Sydney NSW
Ady Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really niceAdy Whit is just really nice

Thanks for the replies guy's been thinking long and hard all weekend about this one. You've given me a few pointers that I can negotiate with.

Cheers
Ady