Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rent or sell home

rent or sell home

Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default rent or sell home

My wife and i are planning on moving to australia next year,last year of my visa before it expires so need to make the move before then.
I have a house here and im not sure what to do,ideally i wish to sell it,but if i run out of time then plan on renting.
As im from scotland anyone else sold a house in scotland recently,as i purchased mine about 20yrs ago,and have never sold one before and a newbie at this and i believe they are done different than south of the border.
I was told if i can sell it private then do so why? and if i maybe have someone who wants it before its out on the market,then get a joint valuation,i think the reason was as we could pay for it between us rather than pay for one each,how quickly can a house be out on the market and sold,can a seller say when he wants to move out once sold.

As for the renting side of things,again and are the do's and dont's about doing this,as this might be an option i may need to take,ideally i dont really want to as the money from the sell of the house would be great for buying over there etc,i do have parents here that could deal with the rent side of things over here while im in the uk,but they are not getting any younger so what are my options on this method,again i would just not take anyone as rent,would exclude certains things etc.

Is there a way to have an idea what a value of your home is online,or is this not possible and needs a person to come see it.

What are the costs in selling a home,im told estate agents take a % what could that be,and to shop around,as i said im very new at selling, my first house was purchased 20 yrs ago and im still in it and have never sold one yet so any advise would be good on this
Old Nov 6th 2012, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: rent or sell home

Originally Posted by brian.w
My wife and i are planning on moving to australia next year,last year of my visa before it expires so need to make the move before then.
I have a house here and im not sure what to do,ideally i wish to sell it,but if i run out of time then plan on renting.
As im from scotland anyone else sold a house in scotland recently,as i purchased mine about 20yrs ago,and have never sold one before and a newbie at this and i believe they are done different than south of the border.
I was told if i can sell it private then do so why? and if i maybe have someone who wants it before its out on the market,then get a joint valuation,i think the reason was as we could pay for it between us rather than pay for one each,how quickly can a house be out on the market and sold,can a seller say when he wants to move out once sold.

As for the renting side of things,again and are the do's and dont's about doing this,as this might be an option i may need to take,ideally i dont really want to as the money from the sell of the house would be great for buying over there etc,i do have parents here that could deal with the rent side of things over here while im in the uk,but they are not getting any younger so what are my options on this method,again i would just not take anyone as rent,would exclude certains things etc.

Is there a way to have an idea what a value of your home is online,or is this not possible and needs a person to come see it.

What are the costs in selling a home,im told estate agents take a % what could that be,and to shop around,as i said im very new at selling, my first house was purchased 20 yrs ago and im still in it and have never sold one yet so any advise would be good on this
you'll need to pay for a home report to sell your house in Scotland, that will give you a valuation. It involves someone visiting your home. It's solely your reponsibility to organise and pay for this.