Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rent rebate when you arrive

Rent rebate when you arrive

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

paula m is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rent rebate when you arrive

Some news that should linterest you new comers. When you arrive as a perminant resident and you are looking for work you can claim a rebate on any rent you are paying. You only get the payment while you are not working and you get it from center link along with your child benefit.
I have just filled a from out for the family we have in the Mandurah house ( they told me about it actually) and they are going to get back around $100 a week.
Hope this helps
Paula
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Also while you are not working and claiming child benefit, you will be sent a Health Care Card, a type of concession card. This gets you a discount on public transport fares, as well as discount into various tourist attractions, discount at the local chemist's, and various other places. Make sure to use it while you can! The card is only cancelled once your salary goes over a certain limit, I don't know the exact figure, about $30000 I think.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 1:58 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent rebate when you arrive

Originally posted by paula m
Some news that should linterest you new comers. When you arrive as a perminant resident and you are looking for work you can claim a rebate on any rent you are paying. You only get the payment while you are not working and you get it from center link along with your child benefit.
I have just filled a from out for the family we have in the Mandurah house ( they told me about it actually) and they are going to get back around $100 a week.
Hope this helps
Paula
Should change your advert to the South West you are a long way from Perth , as for bludging lessons the locals will love that.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 22nd 2003 at 2:11 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Jacqui
Also while you are not working and claiming child benefit, you will be sent a Health Care Card, a type of concession card. This gets you a discount on public transport fares, as well as discount into various tourist attractions, discount at the local chemist's, and various other places. Make sure to use it while you can! The card is only cancelled once your salary goes over a certain limit, I don't know the exact figure, about $30000 I think.
Not sure, but is there not also a Family Benefit (A or B?) that you can claim so long as at least one parent isn’t working?
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rent rebate when you arrive

Originally posted by paula m
Hope this helps
Paula
Lots of people leaving the UK because of asylum seekers and dole bludgers and now claiming the Oz benefits paid for by my taxes? Bloody refugee poms.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:10 am
BE Enthusiast

These are benefits that migrants are entitled to. Why would you not claim something you are entitled to, especially when you whinge constantly about how hight the taxes are?
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Come to Australia and be a battler , well the South West is full of unemployed and the retired its a great place to start blugging.

Christ you've been whingeing on about high taxes and no benefits on posts only today, now your on the opposite tack whingeing about to many benefits.
Do you ever read what you post from one thread to the next, or is your brain (if you have one) just a random word generator.

Apologies to OP.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:14 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dracupg
These are benefits that migrants are entitled to. Why would you not claim something you are entitled to, especially when you whinge constantly about how hight the taxes are?

Why bring in the unemployable Australia has many of their own ?
Bloody refugee Poms come here eat up welfare , now where have I heard that before?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 22nd 2003 at 4:33 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:15 am
Banned

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Christ you've been whingeing on about high taxes and no benefits on posts only today, now your on the opposite tack whingeing about to many benefits.
Do you ever read what you post from one thread to the next, or is your brain (if you have one) just a random word generator.

Apologies to OP.
Look you wish to hand out tax payers cash to the unemployable and encourge them to move where they are few jobs?
Being the working poor here we get stuff all and now you defend those who rape the system.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Jul 22nd 2003 at 2:20 am.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

"Whinge"? You are an ozzie already not a scot? Yes, it is hard to remain oneself when abroad and only the bravehearts can manage it. Never mind, you will be loved by the ozzies in any case - nothing they like more than a "love me" wannabe ozzie to have a laugh at.

I am pointing out the hypocrisy of the average pom refugee with their avowed hatred of benefit bludgers and yet now here they are claiming. This is going over your head?
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Even the most highly skilled migrant can expect to wait some time to get a job. Doesn’t necessarily make them unemployable. Thats why they qualify as skilled migrants in the first place.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:23 am
Banned

Even the most highly skilled migrant can expect to wait some time to get a job. Doesn’t necessarily make them unemployable. Thats why they qualify as skilled migrants in the first place.
Took me 4 days but I have always worked and never had a day on the dole , 6% unemployment here is higher than the UK which is on a down turn and Australia is booming , my arse.

Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

You are obviously very special
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure, but is there not also a Family Benefit (A or B?) that you can claim so long as at least one parent isn’t working?
Yes that's right, I don't go out to work, so we are entitled to claim Part B which is currently $75.88 a fortnight. You are also entitled to 20 hours of child care benefit for each child per week, helpful for those that do go out to work and need to use child care. Although my children are all school-age, it does mean that during the school holidays I can book them into an approved holiday club and have part of it paid for! How much depends again on your circumstances. This was especially handy during the long summer break last January, my children went to a holiday club twice a week for that month and went out and about to places we had never heard of and had a brilliant time. It cost about $1000 in all (I have three children) but the government paid $600. Now that hubby is working, the children still get to go, but we have to pay a bigger proportion.

The Family Assistance Office has a useful website where you can get further info www.familyassist.gov.au - once you live here you can also go online (with a password) to keep your annual income up-to-date to make sure you are claiming the right amounts, and submit other changes to your details.
Old Jul 22nd 2003, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Jacqui
Yes that's right, I don't go out to work, so we are entitled to claim Part B which is currently $75.88 a fortnight. You are also entitled to 20 hours of child care benefit for each child per week, helpful for those that do go out to work and need to use child care. Although my children are all school-age, it does mean that during the school holidays I can book them into an approved holiday club and have part of it paid for! How much depends again on your circumstances. This was especially handy during the long summer break last January, my children went to a holiday club twice a week for that month and went out and about to places we had never heard of and had a brilliant time. It cost about $1000 in all (I have three children) but the government paid $600. Now that hubby is working, the children still get to go, but we have to pay a bigger proportion.

The Family Assistance Office has a useful website where you can get further info www.familyassist.gov.au - once you live here you can also go online (with a password) to keep your annual income up-to-date to make sure you are claiming the right amounts, and submit other changes to your details.

Just what we need in Oz. More refugees draining the benefits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.