Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rent questions for NSW?

Rent questions for NSW?

Old May 27th 2008, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rent questions for NSW?

Ok so we've had no replies emailing rental agents in Sydney for properties we're interested in....

We've owned our last two homes and previous to that lived with our parents !
So how do we go about renting a house over there and what do ppl think about the following areas? We have a cat that isn't coming out straight away but we're hoping to ship her over once we are settled somewhere?
Also how long are leases over there? an once the lease is up are you expected to find somewhere else?

Castle Hill
Kellyville
Glenwood
Rouse Hill
Baulkham Hills
Pennant Hills?
Carlingford?

Thanks xx
Old May 27th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent questions for NSW?

Originally Posted by JenJen
Ok so we've had no replies emailing rental agents in Sydney for properties we're interested in....

So how do we go about renting a house over there and what do ppl think about the following areas? We have a cat that isn't coming out straight away but we're hoping to ship her over once we are settled somewhere?
Also how long are leases over there? an once the lease is up are you expected to find somewhere else?

Castle Hill
Kellyville
Glenwood
Rouse Hill
Baulkham Hills
Pennant Hills?
Carlingford?

Thanks xx
You'll find it very hard to get any response until you're actually here - there is too much demand for them to do anything difficult. Think about a short term B&B for when you arrive and then look at renting.

As I am always posting on here (its getting to be my theme tune)...there life beyond the north shore..check out Sutherland, Kirrawee, Gymea, Miranda & Cronulla in the south - for a nice place to live and good rail links to CBD.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:14 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Jen, I'm going to sound like a stuck 45 here (man that dates me) but again, there is some good info already.

There is one thread on which I've described my recent experiences of house-hunting in Sydney. It's not for the faint-hearted, for sure.

Also with a cat, it will severely limit your options. With apartments (called units here), often you will get an immediate refusal. Even if the Landlord is ok with it, there may be management rules forbidding it. With houses, as there is such a shortage the LLs can be picky, and IME most of them were.

I'll see if I can find the thread, hang on...

edit: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524423

Last edited by Kooky.; May 28th 2008 at 12:16 am.
Old May 28th 2008, 12:51 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Castle Hill
Kellyville
Glenwood
Rouse Hill
Baulkham Hills
Pennant Hills?
Carlingford?

Thanks xx
As has already been said the rental market is as tight as you want at the moment... We rented with 2 dogs and put 3 months rent up front and double the bond... But we also got lucky as our landlord was a Staffy nut...

We had a lease for 6 months and that was 18 months ago and we're still there; to be honest any landlord that knows his stuff will want to keep a clean, tidy, hassle free tennant for as long as he possibly can...
Old May 30th 2008, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Castle Hill
Kellyville
Glenwood
Rouse Hill
Baulkham Hills
Pennant Hills?
Carlingford?

Thanks xx
Hi again Jen

Success ultimately depends on your budget and criteria- whilst there's certainly rentals in these suburbs, most of those that make it to the net are already under application. This is what PM's in these areas are telling me, at least. You're ideally better off, as others have suggested, taking some short term accommodation when you first arrive (or a holiday house- check out sites like www.stayz.com.au) for a couple of weeks minimum, whilst you find your landlegs and scoot around for rentals locally. By that time, you would have had time to get bank accounts etc organised and PM's will certainly take more notice of you. I'd also have two personal referrals up your sleeve, records of past employment and rental history (if appropriate) to show PM's as they all ask for these lately. Landlords can afford to be very fussy at the moment

Give us some more info and I'd be happy to look up some possibilities for you. Just had a client who's going to have a very nice vacant house come up for rent in Bella Vista (next to Baulkham Hills) soon so you just never know...

As for leases, I'd be asking for a 12mth one, to lock current rental prices in, as reviews are more common at 6mths now, with the majority increasing.
Old May 30th 2008, 1:32 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Castle Hill
Kellyville
Glenwood
Rouse Hill
Baulkham Hills
Pennant Hills?
Carlingford?

Thanks xx
All these areas are fine - ranging from established subusrbs (Castle Hill, Baulkham Hills etc) to new McMansion types (Rouse Hill, Kellyville etc).
Do not venture toward Bankstown (south of the burbs you mention) as things get a bit dubious.

Bear in mind where you will be working when chosing an area - try www.131500.info for travelling times between areas on public transport. If you want to drive toward the city in peak hour then you will get stuck in traffic in the areas you mention...
Old May 30th 2008, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

We have a cat that isn't coming out straight away but we're hoping to ship her over once we are settled somewhere?

What I would suggest with that is that you are honest on your application and tell the agent exactly that. They will be much more likely to consider your cat once you have proved to them you look after the property well. Ask for an inspection after 6 weeks or so and if everything is ok, get your cat over here. However, as OP has said in units and townhouses there is often a Body Corporate ruling that there are no cats or dogs, so you'll need to find that out before you apply.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:46 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

Sorry not been very well so i'm just skimming replies.
Hubby says we'll look to see how much we like the suburbs that have been recommended so thanks for those.
Hubby will be working 12 hour shifts, he might get stung a bit returning after work at 6pm but morning shouldn't be too bad or so we've worked out.
We have 3 kids so aren't really looking for a unit or apartment, we're ideally looking for a 4 bed house or one storey place.

I will hopefully read all replues fully over the weekend, sorry just trying to skim the replies to all threads at the mo

Jen xx
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 10:54 am
Just Joined

dickiemint is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Seasider
Jen, I'm going to sound like a stuck 45 here (man that dates me) but again, there is some good info already.

There is one thread on which I've described my recent experiences of house-hunting in Sydney. It's not for the faint-hearted, for sure.

Also with a cat, it will severely limit your options. With apartments (called units here), often you will get an immediate refusal. Even if the Landlord is ok with it, there may be management rules forbidding it. With houses, as there is such a shortage the LLs can be picky, and IME most of them were.

I'll see if I can find the thread, hang on...

edit: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=524423
Hi ,

A longtime lurker here and many thanks for sharing your experiences,
457's came last week , they took 4 weeks to process,moving with a Multi national from NL to Sydney with 2 cats in August ,everything planned and booked regarding the move .

We have a househunting trip planned from the 11th to 26th June in Sydney , your experiences made me laugh so much , but we know now what to expect ,coming from NL.
Budget will be $750 - $850 , looking at the Inner West,we have a relocation agent ,getting slightly getting worried now as we have to fine a place in these 2 weeks.
Cheers