Reload this Page >

Is rent negotiable?

Is rent negotiable?

Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:13 am
Just Joined

pcurren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is rent negotiable?

Howdy!

Having just arrived in Sydney, come tomorrow (Monday) i'll begin hunting for an apartment to rent.

So before I start I was just wondering if there is generally much room for negotiation on the per week costs advertised for apartments. Likewise, are the bonds negotiable or are these things fixed.

Not wanting to make an arse of myself if I can avoid it

Cheers,

Paul C
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:23 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is rent negotiable?

Originally Posted by pcurren
Howdy!

Having just arrived in Sydney, come tomorrow (Monday) i'll begin hunting for an apartment to rent.

So before I start I was just wondering if there is generally much room for negotiation on the per week costs advertised for apartments. Likewise, are the bonds negotiable or are these things fixed.

Cheers,

Paul C

rent is negotiable I got $25 a week off cos I knew the place had been empty for a couple months......the bond is fixed....4 weeks rent
Old Nov 27th 2005, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

lucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant futurelucyloo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by biggy
rent is negotiable I got $25 a week off cos I knew the place had been empty for a couple months......the bond is fixed....4 weeks rent
agree - although we decided not to negotiate as we looked at loads of flats and most were not suitable and then found a flat we really liked and as it was such a good place (and lots of people looking at it in the quick 15 mins you get on a sat morning!!!!), we didnt want to lose it - so offered the asking price. We also knew it had just come on the market too.

Good luck
Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:02 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Howdy!

Cheers,

Paul C
It's a supply and demand thing. If you're the only one wanting to rent the apartment and it's been on the market for a while, sure you can negotiate. However if it's new on the market and there are others interested, and you really like it, then you can risk losing the place if you offer a lower price.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:25 am
Just Joined

pcurren is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Is rent negotiable?

Originally Posted by A dogs life
It's a supply and demand thing. If you're the only one wanting to rent the apartment and it's been on the market for a while, sure you can negotiate. However if it's new on the market and there are others interested, and you really like it, then you can risk losing the place if you offer a lower price.
Thanks for the input from everybody. I'll play it by ear then based on what you've told me.

Regarding the bond being 4 weeks rent. I've been looking at furnished apartments, and most of the ones i've seen have a bond that is at least 6 weeks rent but often more. Is this a normal thing with regard to furnished places or is it just landlords trying to price a "certain element" out of their places?

Cheers,

Paul C
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:09 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the input from everybody. I'll play it by ear then based on what you've told me.

Regarding the bond being 4 weeks rent. I've been looking at furnished apartments, and most of the ones i've seen have a bond that is at least 6 weeks rent but often more. Is this a normal thing with regard to furnished places or is it just landlords trying to price a "certain element" out of their places?

Cheers,

Paul C

in queensland rentals r governed by http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/index.cfm which determines the bonds etc there must be something like that in NSW
Old Nov 27th 2005, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by biggy
in queensland rentals r governed by http://www.rta.qld.gov.au/index.cfm which determines the bonds etc there must be something like that in NSW
Thats right, ACT, QLD, NSW and probably all the other states/territories, the bond is held by an independant governmental body which makes things much more above board than the bond being held with the property agent.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

NIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really niceNIGENABBY is just really nice

Cheers,

Paul C
Hi

Furnished places usually require a larger bond, so 6 weeks would not seem strange.

Don't fear the landlord can just take this bond from you for frivolous things. It is lodged (as the others said) with an independent board who must approve amounts withheld by the landlord.
Old Nov 27th 2005, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

If you cant negotiate your rent do what the aussies do! Sublet your garage to a family

We have a small rental house and the second time in 5 months the tenants have let the garage out to a crowd of people, the house is tiny which is why were not living in it but the first lot had 8 people in total living there including the sub letters, then they totally trashed it ($11,000) and left.

Now we have a young family renting it, all the usual rta checks by agent, excellent refs payment records etc but drive past saturday and see the garage is fully kitted out as a bedroom, kitchen, dining table, TV here we go again
Old Nov 27th 2005, 9:32 pm

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers,

Paul C
In Queensland, if the weekly rental is less than $500 then the maximum bond is 4 weeks' rent. Over $500, there is no limit on the bond.
Old Nov 28th 2005, 9:47 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

Everything in life is negotiable except death.