Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Rent or Buy What have you done ?

Rent or Buy What have you done ?

Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Rent or Buy What have you done ?

I am not there yet but planning on moving to Perth for Feb 2008.

I don't have a job lined up but have enough cash to keep me going in a rental for a few years. However, I suspect I wont be able to get a rental without a job, and I wont be able to buy without a job.

I think it may take me a few months to both settle in and find work, I am just wondering who has done the same thing. I dont have friends or relatives I can share with so need some where to rent from the start.

I have thought about using some where like poms in perth, which I have used a few times before, but this time it would be very long term.

Any advice would be cool,

cheers

Phil & Amanda
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:22 am
Banned

Nursebank will become famous soon enoughNursebank will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Rent or Buy What have you done ?

Tough one Phil, at least you have some cash, but need more details, for advice i would say?

Job prospects, age, amount of cash, career options, kids, house size required, location in Perth want to be, can interest on cash on deposit pay rent etc?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Hi there,

We are both 30, will have around £100,000 to bring out, my partner works in finance, loan/mortgage advise.
I dont think I will have any problems finding work at all, I am well certified and experienced, but I dont really want to step straight in to work from the get go.

Ideally I would like to be some where near the coast, hoever I really like the estates around Ellenbrook, my next choice would be Kingsley, I have also considered the city centre for a while. I like the apartments that are available in places like barrack st.

Thanks for replying

Last edited by philnorris; Sep 12th 2007 at 11:37 am.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:41 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by philnorris
Hi there,

We are both 30, will have around £100,000 to bring out, my partner works in finance, loan/mortgage advise.
I dont think I will have any problems finding work at all, I am well certified and experienced, but I dont really want to step straight in to work from the get go.

Ideally I would like to be some where near the coast, hoever I really like the estates around Ellenbrook, my next choice would be Kingsley, I have also considered the city centre for a while. I like the apartments that are available in places like barrack st.

Thanks for replying
you will still be able to get a rental without a job, just offer a few months rent up front,
Old Sep 12th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biggy
you will still be able to get a rental without a job, just offer a few months rent up front,
Ahh ok Cool I didnt think they would be up for that, but thats excellent thanks for letting me know.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philnorris
Ahh ok Cool I didnt think they would be up for that, but thats excellent thanks for letting me know.
Don't forget to bring references with you plus paperwork which proves you pay bills on time.

Still plenty of competition when you front up for a rental in Perth so you need to stick out head and shoulders above the rest.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

I haent worked for the last year and have rented 3 different houses, 2 in perth 1 in adelaide. All you need to do is show the agent a bank statement showing that you have funds to pay the rent and they are fine with that.

They wont care that you dont have a job all they care about is that you are able to pay them.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dave99
I haent worked for the last year and have rented 3 different houses, 2 in perth 1 in adelaide. All you need to do is show the agent a bank statement showing that you have funds to pay the rent and they are fine with that.

They wont care that you dont have a job all they care about is that you are able to pay them.
Excellent thanks for that, I feel much more at ease now.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

flowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to allflowergal is a name known to all

We rented a house from poms in Perth for 4 weeks when we arrived and it was great, but we found rental with in 3 weeks, we had no jobs, or refs, we did offer to put up the 1st 6 months up frount but the landlord was happy with 2 weeks up front and the bond. We arrived not knowing any 1 and we have made heeps of mates, good luck if you need to know any thing I do my best, but Im still learning myself.

Amanda
Old Sep 13th 2007, 3:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flowergal
We rented a house from poms in Perth for 4 weeks when we arrived and it was great, but we found rental with in 3 weeks, we had no jobs, or refs, we did offer to put up the 1st 6 months up frount but the landlord was happy with 2 weeks up front and the bond. We arrived not knowing any 1 and we have made heeps of mates, good luck if you need to know any thing I do my best, but Im still learning myself.

Amanda
Hi Amanda, Thanks, I have been in touch with the guys from PiP to try and sort out a temporary place. I think I will do as you have done it seems like the best option for me.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flowergal
We rented a house from poms in Perth for 4 weeks when we arrived and it was great, but we found rental with in 3 weeks, we had no jobs, or refs, we did offer to put up the 1st 6 months up frount but the landlord was happy with 2 weeks up front and the bond.
If the landlord had taken you up on your offer would you have asked for the interest on the advance rent - just curious.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

ozyjo is an unknown quantity at this point

We came out with no jobs.
Stayed in a caravan park for 2 weeks (which was really nice and I am not into caravans)
In those 2 weeks we found a rental, we just had to prove how much money we had in the bank, and that it was enough to cover rental for the 6 month lease we had. Hubby got a job in 3 months and we got a mortgage with Westpac, 4 months after that..
Move into our new house in 5 days and goodbye rental...

Its not that hard...
I think the Aussies are very used to all the Brits coming over and the problems we face.,
Good luck
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ozyjo
We came out with no jobs.
Stayed in a caravan park for 2 weeks (which was really nice and I am not into caravans)
In those 2 weeks we found a rental, we just had to prove how much money we had in the bank, and that it was enough to cover rental for the 6 month lease we had. Hubby got a job in 3 months and we got a mortgage with Westpac, 4 months after that..
Move into our new house in 5 days and goodbye rental...

Its not that hard...
I think the Aussies are very used to all the Brits coming over and the problems we face.,
Good luck
Thats cool, glad things are orking out well for you guys, I am a lot happier after reading these posts, now I just have to sell my house. No inerest in it yet and it is all ready 5% under average market value for a quick sale.