to rent or to buy?

to rent or to buy?

Old Aug 16th 2009, 11:34 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point
Default to rent or to buy?

we move to Perth at the weekend( omg)
the plan.... was to rent for about 6 months then buy.
now i'm thinking should we buy straightaway? we are on a 475( if that makes any difference) its v easy to get a mortgage where we at the mo is it the same in Australia? thanks
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future
Default Re: to rent or to buy?

Are you familiar with Perth?
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne UK to Helensville Nz to Secret Harbour Perth WA
donki is an unknown quantity at this point

no not at all!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

nigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nicenigel and wendy is just really nice

defo rent before you buy.........lots of subs in perth for you to look at.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 2:59 am
Just Joined

jon6565 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would definately look to rent before you buy. It is very easy to buy in a suburb just because you "start" there. Have a look around first... maybe Hills, maybe by the coast... there are heaps of nice suburbs and also some to avoid.

Not to put a downer on it either but I would consider the fact that you are on a 475 Visa too. That could go pear-shaped and you are stuck with a house!

I have been here 20 years after moving from the UK and learnt from my mistakes!!
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

seansuperhoop is on a distinguished road

Stamp duty is a real killer here compared to the UK, so if you rush in and buy and then a year down the track you want to sell it's going to cost you $$. Mortgage rates are going to go really high and it may well be wise to rent and wait for the interest rate increases to really kick in to the market- I don't know about the Perth market though.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

ossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant futureossigeno has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by donki
no not at all!
High risk then to buy straight away.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donki
we move to Perth at the weekend( omg)
the plan.... was to rent for about 6 months then buy.
now i'm thinking should we buy straightaway? we are on a 475( if that makes any difference) its v easy to get a mortgage where we at the mo is it the same in Australia? thanks

Can't fault the general consensus here: i.e. don't buy now!

You need to acclimatise with Perth and its surroundings...The best way to do this is the only way: Renting!

When we came over last summer (Oz summer) on a 457, we were tempted to buy too...

On the advice of few good souls on this forum , we held back from doing this.

Now, we are glad we haven't...Even though we may miss out on the Govt grant, buying would be a risk.

Just take your time and suss out which areas you like the most first...Once you buy somewhere, you're lumbered with that place for a while...