Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

To rent or buy??????

To rent or buy??????

Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To rent or buy??????

Originally Posted by Merlot12
I understand your logic, but I still feel that by deciding to buy whatever you see in the first few weeks of landing in a new country, you will probably compromise far more but not having done your research.

If you were moving to another city at the other end of the UK would you take this approach? Why risk so much when moving to a completely different country with completely different houses and rules.
I know. I agree with you entirely. Just not having a very logical day today .
I don't actually plan to buy straight away but am thinking of buying after say 2-3 months. As once I have the kids in school I don't plan on moving them again. I know roughly what area I want to be in and am definitely going to Brisbane as I have a job to go to there.

I have been looking at the furnished rentals that are available for new immigrants (could be wrong but I think Mrs. Dagboy has one.) I know they are a little more expensive than normal rentals but would save me so much hassle initially. Not having to look for furniture etc. Some of them also have all the info readily available to you such as forms for medicare etc. I probably will buy but don't want to end up in a horrible area.

Tracey
Old Jun 20th 2005, 7:55 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by tracey.d
I don't actually plan to buy straight away but am thinking of buying after say 2-3 months. As once I have the kids in school I don't plan on moving them again. I know roughly what area I want to be in and am definitely going to Brisbane as I have a job to go to there.

I have been looking at the furnished rentals that are available for new immigrants (could be wrong but I think Mrs. Dagboy has one.) I know they are a little more expensive than normal rentals but would save me so much hassle initially. Not having to look for furniture etc. Some of them also have all the info readily available to you such as forms for medicare etc. I probably will buy but don't want to end up in a horrible area.

Tracey
Gosh, what a bad day you have been having - sending good thoughts. I think I have learned never to trust anyone anymore, not nice what she has done

Your plan is fine, rent for a while and look around, we will be doing the same.

Waiting to go on hols, I'm packed, waiting for other half to come home for him to pack his stuff. Roll on beers

M

Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

cypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant futurecypry has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Merlot12
Not sure why you feel that to rent or to buy is a decision you need to make straightaway?
When you first move over you will not have any idea on best areas, best schools, whether the city/lifestyle suits you, even how the housebuying thing works in a completely different country.

Why not take the pressure off, decide to rent for at least six months while you figure out how the land lies, then make a decision on whether to buy. The bulk of the money won't be going anywhere, especially if your income covers your living expenses, and you may save in the long run by not rushing into an expensive mistake.

Just my tuppence,

Merlot.
Well said ....... I agree... Rent until you know that you've made the right decision
Old Jun 20th 2005, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

tracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond reputetracey.d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merlot
Gosh, what a bad day you have been having - sending good thoughts. I think I have learned never to trust anyone anymore, not nice what she has done

Your plan is fine, rent for a while and look around, we will be doing the same.

Waiting to go on hols, I'm packed, waiting for other half to come home for him to pack his stuff. Roll on beers

M
Great. Have a wicked time. I am just starting to pack the kids things. Natalie was complaining that she'll need a large suitcase for herself. Just told her to bring her stuff down so I can sort out how many cases we'll need and she must have brought a dozen things down . She's either travelling light or I am going to get surprised with a mountaion of shoes etc. the night before we leave which seems most likely .

Are you actually heading to Munich?

Tracey
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

As you are in central europe you know nothing of mine or my neighbours house. Nor anybody elses on here for that matter. Yet you are always lurking about and pop up to tell people they have over priced their house. My house is different from my neighbours as it has a double garage and a utility and plenty of other features that my neighboiurs doesn't.

Do you just like to upset people or did you have a house to sell which you got a poor deal for and are therefore bitter? Wheerever I have seen your name it is always to slag people off for how much they have their house on the market for.

As for my neighbour being aware of the market, she's obviously not as she had hers overpriced at £10k more than mine prior to changing agents.

Don't know why I am wasting my time trying to justify myself to you anyway.

Tracey
Exactly Tracey, dont justify yourself to to**ers who have nothing positive and constructive to say and who do not know your curcumstances. Have some karma from us too.

Paul
Old Jun 20th 2005, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Theresa, Ian & Tim is on a distinguished road

We are moving to Perth and because we are taking our two dogs we are going to buy within a couple of months. My aunt who lives in Perth has done alot of searching for us and to find a rental that will take one dog let alone two is going to be very difficult unless we want a really run down place. Like you we roughly know the areas we like e.g. Roleystone, Ellenbrook and we have already searched the internet for a number of schools with places available for our son. We are worried that the house prices will shoot up as we too have limited funds and I was hoping to only work part time hours. It is difficult to decide to rent or to buy but I think when you get out there and you have a search around you will know what you can buy with your money and have a better idea of your day to day living expenditure.

Theresa
Old Jun 20th 2005, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Renting's all very well, untill you retire, then what will you pay the rent with?

That is my worry. I am quite happy renting (like the fact that I have no upkeep on the property, no rates etc). But as you say what about retirement?
I had wondered wether to invest the money from the house and then that will be there for our retirement. Mm, it is a difficult one.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

I know this might not be possible. But we had the same problem as you only we did have buyers, but they didn't. Could you not rent your UK house out and move to oz. If you need some capital to go, have you got equity in the house you could release to tide you over. Obviously I dont know how much your morgage is etc and wether it would rent out enough to pay. Just putting forward a suggestion. As a nurse you should have no trouble getting a job and even if it is part-time you can claim family tax benefit to boost it, its a bit like the uk tax credits. As a single parent I think you would get a good boost. We ended up buying our buyers house as it was in a good location and very nice house just 50k cheaper than ours. We have a tenant in it and everything seems to be fine. We rent over here and I have no probs with that although it is nice to have your own place.

Sorry for all your problems, especially losing your husband.

Love Jo
Old Jun 21st 2005, 12:09 am
ABCDiamond

Tracey
Tracey

Do you know yet which suburb you are planning on living in ?
Property prices in this area do seem to be a bit all over the place, some suburbs have dropped a bit in the last quarter, while others have gone up, but leaving the whole area's average the same as 3 months ago.

Renting does have advantages short term, and the furnished ones, like Mrs D's as you mentioned, are ideal for something to go into immediately you arrive, allowing time to look around, without to much pressure. However, just about all furnished rentals are about twice the rental as an equivalent unfurnished place would be.

If we could be 100% sure that prices would not rise during the next year, then I would say that renting would be your best bet for that initial period, unless you need to own a property, to make yourself feel at "HOME", as is the case with many people, myself included

Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

....My question is (sorry, shall stop moaning now) do I really want to buy a house in Australia?
...Another issue is I have promised my children they can have a dog each when we get to Oz which i know could be a problem when trying to rent somewhere.

Tracey
Here in Perth we rented for a bit and then bought a house. In the rentals market there are a number of people willing to rent to pet owners - not all, but enough. So you should be fine finding a place for your dogs to be. Not sure where you are heading, but I would imagine it is fairly similar in most cities.

Also when you arrive it is good to rent for a bit anyway, so you can get to grips with the areas. It can take some time to do this, so you could take time with selling the house in the UK, and renting it out in the short term.

If you then decide to buy in OZ and the market in the UK becomes a bit stronger, then you could see the house in the UK.

One thing to remember is that owning a house in either the UK or Australia is a good investment. You may currently see prices falling, but in the long term it will be a good investment - and inheritence for your children. It is only ever a loss maker for those who have to sell in a downturn in the market.

You could always sell up now in the UK, take the money and buy a house over here, and you may take a slight hit in the UK because of falling house prices. You will get this back though in the long term OZ market. It is a buyers market here at the moment as well, so consider that also. You could keep the house in the UK for a few years and sell it at an opportune time when the market improves (which it will) while renting over here.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Coulterk will become famous soon enoughCoulterk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Theresa, Ian & Tim
We are moving to Perth and because we are taking our two dogs we are going to buy within a couple of months. My aunt who lives in Perth has done alot of searching for us and to find a rental that will take one dog let alone two is going to be very difficult unless we want a really run down place. Like you we roughly know the areas we like e.g. Roleystone, Ellenbrook and we have already searched the internet for a number of schools with places available for our son. We are worried that the house prices will shoot up as we too have limited funds and I was hoping to only work part time hours. It is difficult to decide to rent or to buy but I think when you get out there and you have a search around you will know what you can buy with your money and have a better idea of your day to day living expenditure.

Theresa
Sorry, I posted previously and did not read all of the responses.

One of the best places to find rentals and real estate is in the west australian newspaper. you say you have looked on the internet - have you tried the west? www.thewest.com.au and select the real estate link at the top. There are a number of other good websites for buying property, but as far as rentals go, the west is about the best. Most rental agencies advertise here to let their property. In the blurb, the people who do not want pets say it, some say they are welcome and the rest I think are up to negotiation.
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:00 am
DAMN.........I'M GOOD

BRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond reputeBRICKY ADE has a reputation beyond repute

Either get a life Don, or 4 gods sake get a F***ing beer you TW*T !!!!! Can't you see the poor girl is thinking her dream is about to burst and not only that, but, she's lost her husband recently.

WAN*ER !!!!!!
Old Jun 21st 2005, 4:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Tracey
Don't even think about the neighbour dropping her price, she can only nab one buyer and there will be others looking in a similar price bracket... she should have told you earlier but people are human and thus make mistakes.
Look at what other similar houses are going for and use them as a comparison.

Personally I would always take 6 months to suss out a place before buying and be wary of people talking up the market here in Perth, it is starting to plateau and places aren't shooting up in price anymore although you get the odd area which is gaining because of better facilities etc. Although your family will have a good idea and you can get good ideas from sites like this, it's not the same as being here.

I'm so impressed by your tenacity to make a new start after your hubby passed away, just hang in there and things will work out.
Wishing you all the best
Larissa
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks to everybody for the support, kind thoughts and karma. You have really cheered me up. Now I'm off to the dentist :scared: may need some more kind thoughts when I get back I cried last time I went and they pulled a tooth , probably not as much as I'd cry in Australia once given the bill .

ABC- Seriously considering the Bayside area at the moment but could be beyond me pricewise. Was looking at the Bracken ridge area but the kids want to be nearer the beach. I know that Brisbane beaches aren't up to much compared to say, the Gold Coast but as I have a job in Brisbane I think that would be too far for me to commute. Particularly as I work shifts. Anyway, I think the beach at, is it Southbank? looks quite nice .

Tracey
Old Jun 21st 2005, 9:49 am
& Sharon, Mike & Luke

andyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really niceandyedwards is just really nice

Hi Tracey
Just had to agree, some people obviously get off on upsetting the apple cart on here. Try to ignore negative comments especially if the poster is a known lurker!!
Personally I would stick to your guns for now and don't reduce the price, our agent is quite confident that the market is starting to pick up so keep your chin up and good luck with it all. Sending much needed karma to you
Hugs
Sharon x

As you are in central europe you know nothing of mine or my neighbours house. Nor anybody elses on here for that matter. Yet you are always lurking about and pop up to tell people they have over priced their house. My house is different from my neighbours as it has a double garage and a utility and plenty of other features that my neighboiurs doesn't.

Do you just like to upset people or did you have a house to sell which you got a poor deal for and are therefore bitter? Wheerever I have seen your name it is always to slag people off for how much they have their house on the market for.

As for my neighbour being aware of the market, she's obviously not as she had hers overpriced at £10k more than mine prior to changing agents.

Don't know why I am wasting my time trying to justify myself to you anyway.

Tracey

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.