Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

rent a bomb car?

rent a bomb car?

Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default rent a bomb car?

anyone rented from rent a bomb in oz?

I need a car for a few days to go car hunting and need to rent one to see what i can find, but on there ads they say $12 per day i cant seem to find that price on there website is this a scam or am i missing something.

Let me know guys what your thought where on them and anyone thats used them.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:46 pm
toddo

Default Re: rent a bomb car?

Originally posted by brian.w

I need a car for a few days to go car hunting and need to rent one to see what i can find, but on there ads they say $12 per day i cant seem to find that price on there website is this a scam or am i missing something.

Brian, where do you want to rent one??? I am in Brisbane. Europcar is here and their smallest is probably around $65/day, but I know a guy - Stephen Vorster at Brisbane Rent-a-Car. Stephen is a South African who bought the business last year and his cars are older solid sedans and wagons at an average of $35/day. i dont know about the $12 - im a bit wary of anything that costs less than a bottle of wine. Who quoted you that? let me know and i will look into it for you.

cheers
toddo

Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:48 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope reliability isn't a must have feauture for you.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

My friends used rent-a-bomb in Melbourne and had no probs. The car was properly maintained/serviced and served the well for a couple of weeks.

$65/day seems very steep for a small car - I rented a brand new Nissan with Budget and it cost $35/day (that was for a two week rental)

Beware of hidden charges when hiring cars - e.g. airport surcharge - you will pay a %age of overall rental just to pick up/drop off at airport
Old Feb 10th 2004, 9:55 pm
ABCDiamond

I've heard of them, and they have been round for a few years, in most major cities. Prices are cheap as they rent out second hand cars, hence the term "Rent a bomb ".

They also do new cars at about $45 p day.

I reckon that $12 one applies to 1985 model Toyota Corolla manual only and conditions apply, such as compulsory damages cover and the GST, for a minimum 7 days, totalling $164.00 = $23.50 per day. And thats only in Victoria. Other states seem a but higher.

What area are you going to ?

Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:00 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't find on their website prices which actually worked out at $12/day even thought they metion this price, have a look at these:

http://www.abel.com.au/
Old Feb 10th 2004, 10:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally posted by toddo
Brian, where do you want to rent one??? I am in Brisbane. Europcar is here and their smallest is probably around $65/day, but I know a guy - Stephen Vorster at Brisbane Rent-a-Car. Stephen is a South African who bought the business last year and his cars are older solid sedans and wagons at an average of $35/day. i dont know about the $12 - im a bit wary of anything that costs less than a bottle of wine. Who quoted you that? let me know and i will look into it for you.

cheers
toddo
It says on there ads from $12 per day but thats probably missed something thats not been added to that, i thought that was way cheap as well, on there site it ranges for a smaller car $28 to $39 depending on auto manu/ air cond and n/a so you pay the extras you want.

i just need one for a few days as i am stuck here without one, keep getting busses etc and thats a pain and i am trying to find and buy a car so i have no hassle anymore , reason for me hireing a car to use it to find the car dealers.

im in the geelong area.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

evorobin is an unknown quantity at this point

You can get a compact car from Europcar for $29/day. I'd be suprised if breakdown cover/roadside replacement came with rent-a-bomb...
Old Feb 11th 2004, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Can speak for the sydney version of this outlet. A colleague of mine used them for moving house. They fitted him up with an old van.
He rated them easy to deal with, cheap, no frills, and fitted the bill.
as he put it - when you go to rent a car you just want to get from a->b, if you want to look snazzy that'll be extra.
Old Feb 11th 2004, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by evorobin
You can get a compact car from Europcar for $29/day. I'd be suprised if breakdown cover/roadside replacement came with rent-a-bomb...
dont know where you got that price from but the lowest i can find one on there site is $49 and they are all sold out in the area i am now.

brian