Rent Assistance

Old Aug 13th 2002, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

princef is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Rent Assistance

Hi all,

Could anyone please clarify about rent assistance to new migrants in Oz. The Centrelink website states that newly arrived migrants are assisted with their rent. Is this right? If so, who can get this assistance and also will the amount one gets as assistance depend on how much money one brings along with him/her to Oz? As soon as one lands in Oz he/she will not be employed. Does this entitle to rent assistance.

Any advice in this regard will be much appreciated.

Ta.
princef
Old Aug 13th 2002, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

ywoods is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rent Assistance

You are kidding me!!!!!!!

You are going to move to a country then ask for financial assistance?

Amazing

Yvonne
Old Aug 14th 2002, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Rent Assistance

Hi

From what I can gather rent assistance is generally paid to new migrants if they get the extra Part B Family Tax benefit. all this depends on your income and how many kids you have.
Centrelink are very good an if you go to your local office they will tell you what you can and can't claim for.

Claire
xx
Old Aug 14th 2002, 3:43 am
Robert Edwards

Have a look at this link http://www.centrelink.gov.au/internet/internet.nsf/payments/-
rent_assistance
. htm then follow the internal links there.

Rob Edwards

"princef" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    > Could anyone please clarify about rent assistance to new migrants in Oz. The
    > Centrelink website states that newly arrived migrants are assisted with their rent.
    > Is this right? If so, who can get this assistance and also will the amount one
    > gets as assistance depend on how much money one brings along with him/her to Oz?
    > As soon as one lands in Oz he/she will not be employed. Does this entitle to rent
    > assistance.
    > Any advice in this regard will be much appreciated.
    > Ta. princef
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 14th 2002, 4:45 am
davo

Originally posted by princef:
Hi all,

Could anyone please clarify about rent assistance to new migrants in Oz. The Centrelink website states that newly arrived migrants are assisted with their rent. Is this right? If so, who can get this assistance and also will the amount one gets as assistance depend on how much money one brings along with him/her to Oz? As soon as one lands in Oz he/she will not be employed. Does this entitle to rent assistance.

Any advice in this regard will be much appreciated.

Ta.
princef
Are you aware of living away from home allowance for ex pats? I'm not sure of the detailed rules but all the Brits I work with here in Sydney, myself included, are allowed to deduct our rent from our taxable income. This means that if you pay the top rate of income tax (48.5%) your effective rent is only 51.5% of the amount paid to the landlord.

Old Aug 14th 2002, 6:00 am
Kieron Shorrock

Living away from home allowance is a Fringe Benefit and you have to arrange this with
your employer.

You can't claim it on your tax return.

Kieron

"davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Originally posted by princef:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Could anyone please clarify about rent assistance to new migrants in Oz. The
    > > Centrelink website states that newly arrived migrants are assisted with their
    > > rent. Is this right? If so, who can get this assistance and also will the
    > > amount one gets as assistance depend on how much money one brings along with
    > > him/her to Oz? As soon as one lands in Oz he/she will not be employed. Does
    > > this entitle to rent assistance.
    > >
    > > Any advice in this regard will be much appreciated.
    > >
    > >
    > > Ta. princef
    > Are you aware of living away from home allowance for ex pats? I'm not sure of the
    > detailed rules but all the Brits I work with here in Sydney, myself included, are
    > allowed to deduct our rent from our taxable income. This means that if you pay the
    > top rate of income tax (48.5%) your effective rent is only 51.5% of the amount paid
    > to the landlord.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 15th 2002, 12:40 am
Costabeera

"ywoods" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > You are kidding me!!!!!!!
    > You are going to move to a country then ask for financial assistance?
    > Amazing

Happens all the time in the UK. Anyone seems to be allowed in, and to instantly
claim benefits.

Old Aug 16th 2002, 6:09 am
Chris

"princef" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all,
    > Could anyone please clarify about rent assistance to new migrants in Oz. The
    > Centrelink website states that newly arrived migrants are assisted with their rent.
    > Is this right?

I hope not.

Chris