Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renouncing British citizenship

Renouncing British citizenship

Old Jul 18th 2016, 8:38 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renouncing British citizenship

Originally Posted by FXpert
I remember when I got married, we honeymooned in Africa (Zimbabwe/Zambia/Zanzibar/Tanganyika etc and I asked my wife if she would like a British Passport, as I assumed it would be easier to travel through Africa with one?....she asked the travel company and they said, don't do it...travelling through Africa (ex colonies etc is straight forward on an Aussie passport and if you travel on a British Passport, they make you apply for Visa's/permission etc: ...as it turns out, quite true...apparently, all the previous domains are not as sorry that we left, as we would like to believe!.....so I've let my passport expire, I can always renew it, if I want to...I was going to do mine and the kids, as then they would have been able to travel around Europe easily, but now post Brexit, I'll have to do what everyone else is doing and try to get an Irish passport!
I take it this honeymoon was a while ago? The visa requirements for the countries you mention are the same for British and Australian passport holders. The visa requirements for the two passport holders to visit most countries are broadly the same however overall British passports holders can visit more countries visa-free than Australian passport holders, 175 vs 169.

Whether you maintain both passports for international travel to third countries would depend on which countries you visit. Brazil, for instance, is a notable example where a British passport holder can travel visa-free but an Australian passport holder would normally require a visa.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 10:31 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Ditto Brazil. No visa required for UK passport holders, yet Australian passport holders do require one (except during the Olympics).
In 2008 (no idea if it's still true) Aus passport holders got in Brunei without visas whilst UK holders required one.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:13 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
In 2008 (no idea if it's still true) Aus passport holders got in Brunei without visas whilst UK holders required one.
Australian passport holders can now apply for a 30 day visa on arrival whereas British passport holders get visa-free access for up to 90 days.

Requirements can change frequently. It will be interesting to see whether Brexit has any effect on future requirements for British citizens.
Old Jul 18th 2016, 12:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Australian passport holders can now apply for a 30 day visa on arrival whereas British passport holders get visa-free access for up to 90 days.

Requirements can change frequently. It will be interesting to see whether Brexit has any effect on future requirements for British citizens.
Yeah, it was no trouble to get the visa, just a 5 minute queue and very cheap, just surprised me at the time.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 5:59 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

It's all swings and roundabouts to be honest - and depends on what treaties etc respective countries are signatories to.

Another example of difference I can remember is that UK passport holders are not subject to the 6 month validity rule when visiting the USA, whereas Australian passports are.

Personally I am happy to keep both of mine going - though I can imagine that would get expensive with a large family. I doubt that there is any one superior choice though. Much will depend upon your travel habits and likely destinations.

S
Old Jul 19th 2016, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
It's all swings and roundabouts to be honest - and depends on what treaties etc respective countries are signatories to.

Another example of difference I can remember is that UK passport holders are not subject to the 6 month validity rule when visiting the USA, whereas Australian passports are.
That may have been true in the past but currently all VWP countries do not require six months' validity, only that the passport remains valid for the duration of the proposed stay.

Personally I am happy to keep both of mine going - though I can imagine that would get expensive with a large family. I doubt that there is any one superior choice though. Much will depend upon your travel habits and likely destinations.
Out of the two, yes, they are generally very similar. If there is a case, Brazil for example, when it would make sense to have one over the other then the cost and convenience of renewing the passport versus obtaining the visa would need to be factored in but it would be down to the personal preference of the individual traveller.
Old Jul 19th 2016, 8:37 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

The visa requirements for the two passport holders to visit most countries are broadly the same however overall British passports holders can visit more countries visa-free than Australian passport holders, 175 vs 169.
Most "top" passports are similar in that they allow for entry to pretty much the same amount of regular/run-of-the-mill-type countries. Differences usually apply to nations that most people won't be visiting anyway...

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As one who helps to organise that assistance I would echo this - Britain is usually more willing/quicker to assist with repatriation etc thanAustralia.
Thank you for sharing. Always wondered who goes the extra mile between the UK and AU in terms of evacs.

In terms of ripping off citizens the US is easily the master of the trade here. As soon as something happens they provide a gov't plane, claim all the glory, and then several months later they chase down their own nationals for big $$$... or else.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 9:21 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I think mentioned once only but one consideration could be conscription. If ever UK goes to war you "might" be called upon but to be honest, i reckon the military is so techy these days theyd struggle to train people; its not like they just need cannon fodder like the old days (no disrepect at all to all those who do and have served). In any case, if UK is in, no doubt Australia womt be far behind.
The other matter is if you want to be a fereral MP, you are required to renounce.
Choices of evils really, conscription or beocme and MP!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
...The other matter is if you want to be a fereral MP, you are required to renounce.
"feral" is so spelt, Evann. And aren't they all!
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow
"feral" is so spelt, Evann. And aren't they all!
I'm going to sound like the old chook I am now Gordon, but where have the decent, honest and hard working politicians gone? I look around the whole world, and there are less than a handful that seem to fit that bill.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 12:05 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm going to sound like the old chook I am now Gordon, but where have the decent, honest and hard working politicians gone? I look around the whole world, and there are less than a handful that seem to fit that bill.

They have gone because we have this insane concept of the career politician, where they graduate with a degree in Political Science, become a serving member's staffer for a couple of years and then bob's your uncle, pre-selection and off to one of the houses.

In days gone by, politics was something that you aspired to after you had achieved something in a traditional career. Now it didn't matter if that was law, medicine or being a shop steward, but the fact was that you had some life experience in working and living.

Career politicians don't have this, and it's now starting to show - they have no connection with the common person because they have never been that common person themselves.

S
Old Jul 21st 2016, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Then there's always those of us who's partners have different nation passports, who like to be in the same queue at passport control. I guess there's always those that don't want to be For me that's a major factor in not bothering to renew my UK passport and travelling on my Aus.
Old Jul 21st 2016, 4:08 am
has lost The Game

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Then there's always those of us who's partners have different nation passports, who like to be in the same queue at passport control. I guess there's always those that don't want to be For me that's a major factor in not bothering to renew my UK passport and travelling on my Aus.

Really? That sounds like the lamest major factor I have ever heard!

S
Old Jul 21st 2016, 5:43 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

S
Me too. When we traveled to north America in May we both went through the Canadian citizens line even though my partner only brought his Australian passport. He was with me so we were told to go together. Both in the US and Canada
Old Jul 21st 2016, 5:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

S
Really...... I like being with my wife, especially in countries where things happen like suss behavior with security checks.. Which has happened in places like Dubai, albeit a long long time ago. So since then I dont leave her side... not that she can't look after herself as she jumps on people in her job as emergency admissions in the Royal Melbourne Pysch ward as part of her job sometimes.

I also had trouble myself when entering the UK once.... not sure what the security guys issue was, but he gave me the 3rd degree.... would have been nice to have witness to that. I really feel like i was flagged for something that time.

Other factor is you get through at exactly the same time, no waiting for one another.... which after 24 hours of travel can be quite irritating.

Plus if after 36 years my wife isn't automatically entitled to a UK passport... like my Aussie born kids.... then why bother with one. If it's not good enough for her... then it's not right for me..... Not that I'm renouncing UK citizenship at all. I can see we may need it one day. Call it Partnership solidarity.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jul 21st 2016 at 6:23 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.