Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

renewing uk passport - what happens with the visa??

renewing uk passport - what happens with the visa??

Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:57 am

pom04 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default renewing uk passport - what happens with the visa??

Due to renew uk passport which expires in May - I seem to be getting different stories re the visa issue - ie the fact that the PR visa is in current passport - british high commision in canberra gave the repsonse that I should get the visa transferred to my new passport by the Ozzie consulate in brisbane - ozzie consulate in Brisbane say just carry the old passport with the new one?? Any one had this situation as I will be travelling outside the country in august this year - life will be so much easier once I get my ozzie passport later this year - I just need a right tale I guess
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:59 am
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future
Default Re: renewing uk passport - what happens with the visa??

Originally Posted by pom04
Due to renew uk passport which expires in May - I seem to be getting different stories re the visa issue - ie the fact that the PR visa is in current passport - british high commision in canberra gave the repsonse that I should get the visa transferred to my new passport by the Ozzie consulate in brisbane - ozzie consulate in Brisbane say just carry the old passport with the new one?? Any one had this situation as I will be travelling outside the country in august this year - life will be so much easier once I get my ozzie passport later this year - I just need a right tale I guess
Hiya Pom,
I remember this being asked in the past.
I believe that you just have to have your old passport with you, especially if that is the advice from the Ozzie consulate in Brisbane.

Bye
Mark
Old Mar 1st 2005, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Cat_Harrison is on a distinguished road

My partner is in the same situation. His passport expires in April.

Everyone we've spoken to just told us to carry both New and old passport together.
Old Mar 1st 2005, 7:14 pm
Dismembered Bat

ProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to allProofReader is a name known to all

I was in this situation at one stage and travelled out of Oz and back in on my renewed UK passport but carried my old one with the visa in it too.

When you apply for your renewal, make sure you ask for the old one back due to it still having a valid visa in it. They'll cut the top corner off, stamp it 'cancelled' (but not the visa pages) and return it to you. At least, that's what happened when I did it. This was probably about 20 years ago, mind you, but it sounds like nothing's changed!

I had no problems with Aussie immigration on re-entry; just handed them both passports (the current one and the 'cancelled' one).

Old Mar 1st 2005, 8:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

There is no 'ozzie consulate' in Brisbane - do you mean the DIMIA office?
Australian Consulates are only found *outside* Australia.

DIMIA should be able to put a printed visa label in a new passport and this is the best option.

Carrying a visa in an old passport is ok as far as DIMIA are concerned, but not all airline staff seem to understand this and there is always the risk if being delayed at check-in going back to Australia (or missing your flight) if they freak out and want to check everything with Australia before allowing you to board.

Jeremy