Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewing Passports in Oz

Wikiposts

Renewing Passports in Oz

Old Mar 29th 2005, 2:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renewing Passports in Oz

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
I didnt have to send any ID (I did send down a copy of my lease and a bank statement), other than my old Passport to be replaced and a JP signing the forms and photos were requested.

I stuggled finding someone I knew for 2 years....but thankfully a girl I met in the UK 3/4 years ago had moved back to brissy and she was a JP.
Sorry, what I meant was, struggling for ID for everyday stuff like posting things, while I am passport-less. As Ceri says, I really should get an 18 plus card as it would save me carrying the paasport everywhere! Maybe when we've moved (and I need the passport with me when I sign the lease!) I shall get organised
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:07 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CornishPasty
I didnt have to send any ID (I did send down a copy of my lease and a bank statement), other than my old Passport to be replaced and a JP signing the forms and photos were requested.

I stuggled finding someone I knew for 2 years....but thankfully a girl I met in the UK 3/4 years ago had moved back to brissy and she was a JP.
even something like opening an account with a video shop requires ID. A lot of things require QLD ID. It is easier to get a small ID 18 plus card ( same size as a driving licence and issued by the same people) than carry around a Brit passport and rental agreements etc to prove you are a Qld Resident, and your identity etc. Posting overseas mail in the PO's here requires ID too like Pollyana has mentioned. I even had to show Qld ID to get into a concert ( security purposes).
So many things require Qld ID, and carrying a passport etc is not really practical - getting an 18 plus card makes things a lot easier for ID purposes if like Pollyana you don't have a Aus driving licence for ID purposes here
Cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Mar 29th 2005 at 3:37 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I've let my British passport lapse, and am travelling on my newly acquired aussie passport, into a country where I was born and spent the first 23 years of my life.

Feels a tad strange, I must admit lol, I didn't want the expense of two different country loads of passports. In fact we have the unusal situation in our household, of the only current British passport holder, being my 2nd daughter the 20year old, who was born and bred here, Who has only been to England once, for a holiday when she was 18 months old, and doesn't hold a current Aussie passport.

5 people in my immediate family qualify for a british passport automatically, the 6th being my wife doesn't, That seems very strange to me. At least I assume my wife, being born and bred 5th Gen Aussie doesn't automatically qualify for a British passport ?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I've let my British passport lapse, and am travelling on my newly acquired aussie passport, into a country where I was born and spent the first 23 years of my life.

Feels a tad strange, I must admit lol, I didn't want the expense of two different country loads of passports. In fact we have the unusal situation in our household, of the only current British passport holder, being my 2nd daughter the 20year old, who was born and bred here, Who has only been to England once, for a holiday when she was 18 months old, and doesn't hold a current Aussie passport.
If your daughter is an Australian citizen she is expected to travel into and out of Australia on an Australian passport.

5 people in my immediate family qualify for a british passport automatically, the 6th being my wife doesn't, That seems very strange to me. At least I assume my wife, being born and bred 5th Gen Aussie doesn't automatically qualify for a British passport ?
Generally speaking, overseas born people can only get British citizenship based on a British *parent* (and even then there are conditions). In a few cases a Commonwealth citizen with a UK born mother may be able to get Right of Abode but not British citizenship (one would need to naturalise in the UK for citizenship)

Those who are citizens of Commonwealth countries with UK born grandparents can get an Ancestry visa, which allows migration to the UK with a pathway to permanent resident status and naturalisation as a British citizen in due course.

Being married to a British citizen does not in itself give you British citizenship. You need to migrate to the UK and naturalise as British after 3 years.

147 quid for a british passport, phwor robbing baaadards. Seems strange that the aussies can make it half that price, Surely the redtape over here isn't that much more efficient ?
1. I think it's 147 Australian dollars, not pounds.
2. UK passports are more expensive from British missions overseas compared to from the UK Passport Service, as a consular fee is added.
3. If you compare the cost of the Australian passport to the UKPS cost of a British passport, it may actually be higher.

Jeremy