Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Aug 3rd 2012, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

TerriEllen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
You wouldn't feel more comfortable returning to the country with an Australian passport after being here for so long?
I didn't say how long I have been here, only that the records have been held electronically for 30 years
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerriEllen
I didn't say how long I have been here, only that the records have been held electronically for 30 years
In June last year you mentioned that you had been in Australia for 38 years.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:46 am
Just Joined

In June last year you mentioned that you had been in Australia for 38 years.
LOL Must be 39 this year then Call me a proud Brit; call me lazy; .. just happy living here but not being one I guess If my visa has expired and I want to hop on a plane, I just toddle off to DIAC and they put a pretty new sticker in my Brit passport. Easy
Old Aug 4th 2012, 2:23 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

LOL Must be 39 this year then Call me a proud Brit; call me lazy; .. just happy living here but not being one I guess If my visa has expired and I want to hop on a plane, I just toddle off to DIAC and they put a pretty new sticker in my Brit passport. Easy
I understand the sentiment, but gaining citizenship costs the same as one RRV doesn't it? It won't hurt to have it and dual nationality can be handy. I know that as soon as my PR comes through I am goign for Citizenship ASAP. But I have other friends who happily do RRV, individual choice and all that!
Pollyanna is right about Australia being ID anal, even though we have no stickers in our Passorts I still carry our Visa Documentation when travelling through force of habit, never had to use it yet though.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
I understand the sentiment, but gaining citizenship costs the same as one RRV doesn't it? It won't hurt to have it and dual nationality can be handy. I know that as soon as my PR comes through I am goign for Citizenship ASAP. But I have other friends who happily do RRV, individual choice and all that!
Pollyanna is right about Australia being ID anal, even though we have no stickers in our Passorts I still carry our Visa Documentation when travelling through force of habit, never had to use it yet though.
Australia is anal about everything. One of my Australian born sons went with his wife to live in UK for 5 years and when he came back he was stunned about the rules and regulations and said it was like a police state here. I guess we get used to it and accept it but when you view it with fresh eyes .... I use the analogy of countries aging and maturing in the same way as humans ...... Britain is old and mature and comfortable in it's own skin. America is like a teenager, bold and loud and 'look at me'. Australia is like a toddler/preschooler; really wants to be independent but is scared to let go of its parents hand and needs lots of rules and regulations to feel it is in control. Just saying and totally off-topic, I know
I guess having been here so long getting married here and having had all but 1 of my children here it just doesn't seem necessary now. I did think about it for a while but in the words of Rolf Harris, but reversed, I have lived here for nearly 40 years but I'm still proud to be British and England will always be home. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

I understand the sentiment, but gaining citizenship costs the same as one RRV doesn't it? It won't hurt to have it and dual nationality can be handy.
Citizenship costs less than RRV now, and hopefully the difference between them will increase.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 5:58 am
Just Joined

Citizenship costs less than RRV now, and hopefully the difference between them will increase.
For me, due to my personal circumstances, citizenship would actually only cost $40. However, one thing I do balk at, and puts me off, is the test. I appreciate that it is a necessary pre-requisite under certain circumstances, but surely there a limit to what those circumstances are. Also, if I am going to pay for 2 passports in 10 years, I might as well pay for an RRV. I would never go and live back in the UK but while I go for the Brits in the Cricket and the Olympics it wouldn't be right changing my nationality AFL is my favourite sport though and while we are on the subject, better go and put the TV on .. Western derby this afternoon.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

For me, due to my personal circumstances, citizenship would actually only cost $40. However, one thing I do balk at, and puts me off, is the test. I appreciate that it is a necessary pre-requisite under certain circumstances, but surely there a limit to what those circumstances are. Also, if I am going to pay for 2 passports in 10 years, I might as well pay for an RRV. I would never go and live back in the UK but while I go for the Brits in the Cricket and the Olympics it wouldn't be right changing my nationality AFL is my favourite sport though and while we are on the subject, better go and put the TV on .. Western derby this afternoon.
You wouldn't have needed to do a test for most of the time you've probably been eligible. You also don't change your nationality, you gain a new one in addition to your British nationality. It's also possible to just hold an Australian passport and use that to travel to the UK as you have no intention on living there - also cheaper compared to applying for a UK passport in Australia.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 7:15 am
Just Joined

You wouldn't have needed to do a test for most of the time you've probably been eligible. You also don't change your nationality, you gain a new one in addition to your British nationality. It's also possible to just hold an Australian passport and use that to travel to the UK as you have no intention on living there - also cheaper compared to applying for a UK passport in Australia.
Yeah, I know and I've been eligible since I walked through Sydney customs when I arrived in 1973 and they stamped Permitted to enter Australia in my Passport .... no visa's needed in those days ... but I like it this way. Rearing 5 children mostly single-handed didn't leave me much time for thinking about things like what nationality I was. Now I'm happy the way it is. If they ever give me an ultimatum, like, change or leave, I'll opt for changing because all my children and grandchildren are here, but for now it's a question of: it's not broke so I don't have to fix it.

Last edited by TerriEllen; Aug 4th 2012 at 7:18 am.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I know and I've been eligible since I walked through Sydney customs when I arrived in 1973 and they stamped Permitted to enter Australia in my Passport .... no visa's needed in those days ... but I like it this way. Rearing 5 children mostly single-handed didn't leave me much time for thinking about things like what nationality I was. Now I'm happy the way it is. If they ever give me an ultimatum, like, change or leave, I'll opt for changing because all my children and grandchildren are here, but for now it's a question of: it's not broke so I don't have to fix it.
I don't trust Australian government, they can change their mind and pass new rules/amendments in a heartbeat...just look at the LAFHA debacle!! So while all is good now....it only takes one idiot in politics, of which there are many, to stuff it all up.
Old Aug 5th 2012, 10:30 pm
Just Joined

I don't trust Australian government, they can change their mind and pass new rules/amendments in a heartbeat...just look at the LAFHA debacle!! So while all is good now....it only takes one idiot in politics, of which there are many, to stuff it all up.
I do agree paddyo. Not long to go before I can get citizenship without doing the test ... I might consider it then I don't have anything against test per se, just this one on particular
Old Aug 6th 2012, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud ofWilgar has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Australia is anal about everything. One of my Australian born sons went with his wife to live in UK for 5 years and when he came back he was stunned about the rules and regulations and said it was like a police state here. I guess we get used to it and accept it but when you view it with fresh eyes .... I use the analogy of countries aging and maturing in the same way as humans ...... Britain is old and mature and comfortable in it's own skin. America is like a teenager, bold and loud and 'look at me'. Australia is like a toddler/preschooler; really wants to be independent but is scared to let go of its parents hand and needs lots of rules and regulations to feel it is in control. Just saying and totally off-topic, I know
I guess having been here so long getting married here and having had all but 1 of my children here it just doesn't seem necessary now. I did think about it for a while but in the words of Rolf Harris, but reversed, I have lived here for nearly 40 years but I'm still proud to be British and England will always be home. If it's good enough for him it's good enough for me.
That is an excellent analogy.
Old Aug 6th 2012, 10:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wilgar
That is an excellent analogy.
Thank you
Old Aug 13th 2012, 5:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Camberwell/S.E London > Orpington > Mornington > heart will always be in Tullamore. Co Offaly
steve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to allsteve_kelly_and_boys is a name known to all

just out of interest what are the price differences with renewing here or the U.K

mine and youngest sons have both ran out so will need to renew sooner or later

not in any great rush as i am not leaving these shores anytime soon

cheers
Old Aug 13th 2012, 9:41 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Fees in Australia - http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/en/...pply/australia

UK details are here - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...orts/index.htm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.