Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:26 am
Just Joined

reginaldooo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Hello,
Has anyone succeeded in getting their passport renewed by family back in the UK?? I am hoping to send them completed forms, get them to send in to the UK passport office then have my family send it back to me in Australia again when its completed.

It would allow me to take advantage of the 1 week turn around service as I fly on the 27th of July so its all getting a bit desperate!! :S

I've read about 20 pages of this thread and not found an answer, please help!!

Thank you!
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:36 am
Just Joined

TerriEllen will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by reginaldooo
Hello,
Has anyone succeeded in getting their passport renewed by family back in the UK?? I am hoping to send them completed forms, get them to send in to the UK passport office then have my family send it back to me in Australia again when its completed.

It would allow me to take advantage of the 1 week turn around service as I fly on the 27th of July so its all getting a bit desperate!! :S

Thank you!
Why do it through the UK ... I got mine back in just over a week doing it here in Oz. I know it's cheaper but the whole process seems a bit of a stressful way to go about it.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:49 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thank you!

You're not meant to do it that way, but it is significantly cheaper. The only problem is if they decide to call you for an interview.

If not, there's no real way they will know you didn't lodge it locally.

If you do give it a go, then definitely report back on how you got on, as I dare say many others will try it too...

S
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 9:35 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thank you!
If your flight is that soon I think it would be a risk. Its very quick to do the renewal over here in Aus; if you do it through the UK you are far more at the mercy of the mail and stuff can easily take a week or so to travel each way.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:33 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

I would suck the cash bullet and use Auspost, its very quick and a proven system.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 12:25 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Renewal of UK Passports in OZ

Just came across this thread while searching for something for a new member and I wanted to share this info here. According to the official Foreign and Commonwealth site you can:

"Renew your passport in the UK if you live abroad - You can renew, amend or replace your passport whilst you’re visiting the UK. You should apply to the Identity and Passport Service (IPS). The IPS website provides details of how to do this.

IPS do not accept applications by post or email from overseas."

Last edited by Pollyana; Jul 9th 2012 at 1:31 pm. Reason: copied from original thread as it may be useful in here
Old Jul 31st 2012, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

JOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to beholdJOHN G BLOOM is a splendid one to behold

Not sure if this is old news but thought it would be worth a post, as I didnt know. Read about this in the international express and have just sucessfully applied and got my mother a free passport

Free passports for those born on or before 2 Sept 1929
On 19 May 2004, the Home Secretary announced a free standard (32 page) passport scheme for all British passport holders born on or before 2 September 1929
The scheme is an extension of the free one-year passports granted to World War II veterans wishing to attend 60th Anniversary Commemorative Events in 2004 and 2005 and, in addition to former HM Forces members, is intended to recognise those adults who also made a contribution to the overall war effort in a non-military way. It applies to British Citizens, British Overseas Territories Citizens, British nationals (Overseas), British Protected Persons, British Subjects and British Overseas Citizens. This scheme was introduced in October 2004.
From 1 June 2012, Veteran standard (32 page) passports for applicants living overseas will be issued at their Regional Passport Processing Centres. To apply for your free standard (32 page) passport, complete the C1 Passport Application form (or BNO-A form if you are described in your current/previous passport as a British national (Overseas) (BNO) and you hold a Hong Kong ID Card) and follow the instructions on the How to apply page for your country. There is no charge for processing the passport or return postage.
If you are applying from Australia or New Zealand send your application direct to:
British High Commission Wellington
P O Box 1812
Wellington 6140
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

wits end will become famous soon enough
Question Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Hi, I need to renew four British passports Could someone please tell me, when the new British passports arrive they obviously won't have our Australian permanent resident visa sticker in them, do I need to apply for another one of these stickers for each passport in order to travel to the UK and back home (Oz) again? If so, could you please tell me how I go abut this? Apologies in advance if this is a daft question, but I'm blowed if I can find the answer Thanks so much!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 3:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You go to your nearest DIAC office, with both passports (old and new) and ask for new stickers
http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/australia/
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

wits end will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
You go to your nearest DIAC office, with both passports (old and new) and ask for new stickers
http://www.immi.gov.au/contacts/australia/
Pollyana, you are a star! Thank you so much!
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 7:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wits end
Hi, I need to renew four British passports Could someone please tell me, when the new British passports arrive they obviously won't have our Australian permanent resident visa sticker in them, do I need to apply for another one of these stickers for each passport in order to travel to the UK and back home (Oz) again? If so, could you please tell me how I go abut this? Apologies in advance if this is a daft question, but I'm blowed if I can find the answer Thanks so much!
You don't even need your old passport. They will have all your records including the expiry of your old visa on their system. I just had to do this last week and I didn't have my previous documents as I had to fly home last year on an emergency passport and when I got my new passport this year they didn't return my emergency passport with my current visa in. I just went into my local DIAC office with my new passport, they popped a new sticker in and I was out of there in about 4 minutes
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 8:05 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I don't think you need to get a sticker these days, its all on electronic file so the days of NEEDING a sticker have gone.
See here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/about-your-visa.htm
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 9:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paddyo
Actually I don't think you need to get a sticker these days, its all on electronic file so the days of NEEDING a sticker have gone.
See here:
http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/about-your-visa.htm
Are you sure this also applies to RRVs? It has been electronically filed for 30 years. They always check my visa at customs when I come in. Even if you don't have to have it I will still feel more comfortable returning to the country if it's there. Also, at least with the sticker you know when it's due to expire so you can make sure you have renewed it in time if you are going to travel.
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 12:28 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by TerriEllen
Are you sure this also applies to RRVs? It has been electronically filed for 30 years. They always check my visa at customs when I come in. Even if you don't have to have it I will still feel more comfortable returning to the country if it's there. Also, at least with the sticker you know when it's due to expire so you can make sure you have renewed it in time if you are going to travel.
No, you don't 100% need your old passport, or need an visa sticker, but the physical item is handy and may reduce wait times. Its all electronic and you can manage without either but to be on the safe side and make life easier, either when boarding or a plane or in a DIAC office or wherever, take as much evidence as you can.
Australia is anal about evidence and ID, forewarned is forearmed and all that
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerriEllen
Are you sure this also applies to RRVs? It has been electronically filed for 30 years. They always check my visa at customs when I come in. Even if you don't have to have it I will still feel more comfortable returning to the country if it's there.
You wouldn't feel more comfortable returning to the country with an Australian passport after being here for so long?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.