Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Feb 29th 2012, 2:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in OZ but need a UK passport, help?

Originally Posted by paddyo
cheers, thats the road I was going to take as we have some company JP's and I'm sure I can convince them that my company pass should suffice for internal recognition! Here's hoping!
Old Feb 29th 2012, 5:55 am
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
UK passport i do indeed refer to. Yes a nominated PO. Your local one should be able to provide details.
From memory they will do the photos... These are different from Australian passport photos so remember to only get UK approved ones.
Oz passports are done elsewhere. That being in the Centre off St George's Terrace.
I never understand why they say the photos for Aussie passports are different, I just got the one photo and put it on my 3 passports, Aussie, Irish and UK, all of them accepted it without problem and they are the exact same picture.
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:09 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
I never understand why they say the photos for Aussie passports are different, I just got the one photo and put it on my 3 passports, Aussie, Irish and UK, all of them accepted it without problem and they are the exact same picture.
Same here - even though my arch-enemy at Aus Post tried to tell me it was illegal to have the same photo on both UK and Aus passports
Old Feb 29th 2012, 6:57 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Same here - even though my arch-enemy at Aus Post tried to tell me it was illegal to have the same photo on both UK and Aus passports
Only you could have developed a Nemesis that works at the post office!

S
Old Feb 29th 2012, 8:15 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Only you could have developed a Nemesis that works at the post office!

S
She's a nightmare, I tell you
Old Mar 1st 2012, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by canadaeh
Yeah, the general guidelines about size differ (certainly between Aus & UK - don't know about Ireland). However within those guidelines it is definitely possible to have the same size photo - when my wife went to Teds to get passport photos for our kids, they checked and said the size was the same. Same photos were accepted by both UK & Aus passport people.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 11:32 pm
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Hi,
Im travelling home to Uk in May and need to renew my passport before I go as Its about to run out. I also need to change it to my married name. Not sure how this affects my PR visa stamp which was issued in my maiden name, does anyone know?
Cheers,
Lesley
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lenehan101
Im travelling home to Uk in May and need to renew my passport before I go as Its about to run out. I also need to change it to my married name. Not sure how this affects my PR visa stamp which was issued in my maiden name, does anyone know?
Someone will no doubt tell you that you don't have to change your name when getting married. But anyway, for the sake of a UK passport your marriage certificate is normally enough to show change of name after marriage. For the visa, you'll probably need to complete a change of details form (Form 929) with new name and new passport details.

You should probably also request a new visa label fixed to the new passport - not sure if they've started charging for that yet, but it was in the works.
Old Jun 2nd 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone actually got someone in the UK to submit their passport application and post it out to Aus once it's all done? Seems expensive to have it done in Australia...
Bit of a mega thread to read all the way through it.
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 9:48 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Anyone actually got someone in the UK to submit their passport application and post it out to Aus once it's all done? Seems expensive to have it done in Australia...
It may be a bit pricey, but, having just gone through my son's UK Passport renewal through Australia Post, it is very swift!! New passport arrived before the end of the following week!
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:13 am
Forum Regular

lenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nicelenehan101 is just really nice

Originally Posted by paddyo
It may be a bit pricey, but, having just gone through my son's UK Passport renewal through Australia Post, it is very swift!! New passport arrived before the end of the following week!
Mine also took under 2 weeks to be returned to me via aus post
Old Jun 4th 2012, 6:30 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?

I almost did - I believe it can become complex if they decide that they require you to attend an interview. I think that in theory it is perfectly possible to ask somebody else to lodge your application for you, providing that you have supplied all of the relevant paperwork etc.

In the end I lodged my application at the Post Office on the last day of my UK visit, and then my folks posted the new one out to me when it arrived at their place.

S
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Lois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really niceLois1 is just really nice

Just wondered if anyone could help me with the following:-

we are moving to perth in august, my daughters passport expires the following september (2013).

I have looked at the websites for renewing which seems straightforward, the issue/problem that i forsee is that, as we would not have been there 2 years who/how can her identity be vouched, as we know no-one there?

Do i have to send the form back to someone we know in the UK first??!
Old Jun 10th 2012, 12:13 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Lois1

we are moving to perth in august, my daughters passport expires the following september (2013).

I have looked at the websites for renewing which seems straightforward, the issue/problem that i forsee is that, as we would not have been there 2 years who/how can her identity be vouched, as we know no-one there?

A JP or similar can verify her identity

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=167

http://ukinnewzealand.fco.gov.uk/res...newingPassport
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Lois1

An alternative is to renew it in the UK now, you would get an additional 9 months on them on top of the normal passport validity period. The existing passport does not need to be within 9 months of expiring to renew it.

Presuming it's a childs passport (i.e. 5 year validity) then the expiry of the new passport would be approx late March 2018 if applied in the next week or so, so you would only "lose" 6 months compared to if you waited to be in Australia to renew close to the expiry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.