Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

Old Jun 17th 2011, 9:12 am
Just Joined

TerriEllen will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Renewal of UK Passports in OZ.

In WA it is $310 .... how does that work? If I had more time I would have renewed mine while I'm here in the UK as it is much cheaper and I am currently travelling on emergency documents, but time is fast disappearing C'est la vie!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:53 pm
Chris

crispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nicecrispybacon is just really nice

Originally Posted by markbhx
They don't give you visa labels anymore, it's all electronic. He will need to go to aus embassy and have his new passport associated with his old visa.
Just thought I would give an update incase anyone finds themselves in a similar situation. My partner got his new passport whilst in the UK by going to the passport office in Glasgow, he waited a few hours for them to issue one there and then as an 'emergence' due to his expiring in less than 2 months and travelling in less than a week. They told him there was nothing they could do about is PR visa label. So with both old and new passports he checked in early with Emirates and within 10 minutes they had double checked with the Australian Immigration Dept who took the details of his new passport number and updated it on their system whilst the Emirates check in staff waited. He now has is PR linked to his new passport and didn't need to show his old passport again throughout the journey including arriving back into Brisbane. Done, simple - only wish someone from any of the departments/airlines etc we phoned could have told us this to stop us stressing so much.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crispybacon
Just thought I would give an update incase anyone finds themselves in a similar situation. My partner got his new passport whilst in the UK by going to the passport office in Glasgow, he waited a few hours for them to issue one there and then as an 'emergence' due to his expiring in less than 2 months and travelling in less than a week. They told him there was nothing they could do about is PR visa label. So with both old and new passports he checked in early with Emirates and within 10 minutes they had double checked with the Australian Immigration Dept who took the details of his new passport number and updated it on their system whilst the Emirates check in staff waited. He now has is PR linked to his new passport and didn't need to show his old passport again throughout the journey including arriving back into Brisbane. Done, simple - only wish someone from any of the departments/airlines etc we phoned could have told us this to stop us stressing so much.
To add to this, Immigration in Perth told me I could get a label in my new passport if I wanted to, but it would mean physically going in. I could get it electronically updated by phone.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 7:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TerriEllen
To add to this, Immigration in Perth told me I could get a label in my new passport if I wanted to, but it would mean physically going in. I could get it electronically updated by phone.
Yep, any DIAC office will put a label in a new passport for free if you go in to their offices. Its not essential but can make life easier when people ask to see the visa - rental agents, phone contracts, employers, Medicare - they can all check for themselves but having the physical proof makes it easier.

Last edited by Pollyana; Jun 23rd 2011 at 7:13 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

lonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond reputelonndongeek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, any DOAC office will put a label in a new passport for free if you go in to their offices. Its not essential but can make life easier when people ask to see the visa - rental agents, phone contracts, employers, Medicare - they can all check for themselves but having the physical proof makes it easier.
The free thing isn't quite true.

When I went to get the label put into my new passport a couple of weeks ago, they had to check a list to see whether or not they'd charge me $60. Apparently permanent spouse visas aren't on 'the list' fortunately. I'm not sure what visa types are on the list where they charge for a duplicate label.

They then gave me the spiel that I don't *need* a visa label in my passport. I suggested they told that to Qantas who seem to question me for 30 minutes every time I check in for a flight back to Australia over whether or not I have a valid visa.

Cheers

LG
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lonndongeek
The free thing isn't quite true.

When I went to get the label put into my new passport a couple of weeks ago, they had to check a list to see whether or not they'd charge me $60. Apparently permanent spouse visas aren't on 'the list' fortunately. I'm not sure what visa types are on the list where they charge for a duplicate label.

They then gave me the spiel that I don't *need* a visa label in my passport. I suggested they told that to Qantas who seem to question me for 30 minutes every time I check in for a flight back to Australia over whether or not I have a valid visa.

Cheers

LG
The only one they are supposed to charge for is a RRV, thats singled out on the list of fees as being chargeable, around $60 I think when i last looked.
Standard PR, Temp Spouse, Pros Spouse, 457, and all the rest of them are free. JAJ has posted on the subject many times when DIAC offices have tried to charge people and it comes down to the usual fact that its not a daily request hence many staff don't know.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 2:05 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.

We are in Australia on a 457 and I have lost my passport. I know exactly when I last had it, and my husbands (which I also had at the same time) is back in our safe, but mine is not. I have searched the house from top to bottom twice, looking in every place that I can conceivably think of, but I can not find it. I can only assume that it has been picked up with some recycling or rubbish and thrown away by mistake.

I have read all the way through this thread and haven't been able to exactly find what I need to do, and just wondered if someone could verify what the process is.

I presume that I need to report it lost to the police and/or report it lost to the British Embassy so as to have it cancelled. Then I need to get some photos and have them countersigned by the appropriate person, fill in the application form, the lost or stolen form, and enclose a copy of a form of photo id and go in to AusPost who check the forms etc and send them off.

Is this right? At what point to I need to inform DIAC of the fact that my passport is lost? Do I just tell them once I have the new passport so that I can have my passport number linked to my visa? The only other photo ID I have is my British driving licence. Is this an acceptable form of ID, or would it be better to use a copy of my lost passport which has already been countersigned by a solicitor that we had made when we applied for the visa in the first place (and I usefully scanned in to our computer, just in case)?

I am so cross with myself for losing it, but I suppose it is one of those things! We have beed offered sponsorship for the ENS 856 by oh's employer, so I need to get things sorted out asap.

Many thanks!
Old Jun 26th 2011, 10:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Hi.

We are in Australia on a 457 and I have lost my passport. I know exactly when I last had it, and my husbands (which I also had at the same time) is back in our safe, but mine is not. I have searched the house from top to bottom twice, looking in every place that I can conceivably think of, but I can not find it. I can only assume that it has been picked up with some recycling or rubbish and thrown away by mistake.

I have read all the way through this thread and haven't been able to exactly find what I need to do, and just wondered if someone could verify what the process is.

I presume that I need to report it lost to the police and/or report it lost to the British Embassy so as to have it cancelled. Then I need to get some photos and have them countersigned by the appropriate person, fill in the application form, the lost or stolen form, and enclose a copy of a form of photo id and go in to AusPost who check the forms etc and send them off.

Is this right? At what point to I need to inform DIAC of the fact that my passport is lost? Do I just tell them once I have the new passport so that I can have my passport number linked to my visa? The only other photo ID I have is my British driving licence. Is this an acceptable form of ID, or would it be better to use a copy of my lost passport which has already been countersigned by a solicitor that we had made when we applied for the visa in the first place (and I usefully scanned in to our computer, just in case)?

I am so cross with myself for losing it, but I suppose it is one of those things! We have beed offered sponsorship for the ENS 856 by oh's employer, so I need to get things sorted out asap.

Many thanks!
I have copied and pasted the following from the British Consulate Website.
Hope you get it sorted out soon.

If your passport is lost or stolen, there are no facilities to issue full validity UK passports in Australia; these are all issued at our Regional Passport Processing Centre in New Zealand. There is also no facility outside the UK to fast track full validity UK passports.

If your need to travel falls within the minimum passport processing time of four weeks, you should call your nearest British Consulate http://ukinaustralia.fco.gov.uk/en/h...tish-nationals - which lists Consular offices in Australia and they will do their best to help you. You may be eligible for an Emergency Travel Document (ETD). We make every effort to ensure compassionate cases are processed quickly.
Old Jun 26th 2011, 7:51 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by LittleKittyCat
Hi.

Many thanks!
To get a new passport follow the link in the very first post on the thread. Your right with what you presume - tell the police and get a report number, then you need to go to Aus Post with the documents - and not all Aus Post offices do it, there's a list on their site of which ones do Brit passport renewals.
When you get the passport you can let DIAC know the number so they can tie it to the visa - and if you want a label in it a DIAC office can do that when you have the new one as well.
Old Jun 27th 2011, 1:46 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks ever so much!
Old Aug 20th 2011, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

mordechaivanunu is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help?

My 3 childrens (20,17,15) passports expire in November this year

My Question is:
Can I send the forms for there new passports directly to the UK personally (not through australiapost) and put the address of my house in the UK (i still own)? Therefore saving me the $280 odd dollars it costs from here. We are all PR and have lived here for 3 years.

Thanks for the help
Old Aug 21st 2011, 7:51 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mordechaivanunu
Hi
Wonder if anyone can help?

My 3 childrens (20,17,15) passports expire in November this year

My Question is:
Can I send the forms for there new passports directly to the UK personally (not through australiapost) and put the address of my house in the UK (i still own)? Therefore saving me the $280 odd dollars it costs from here. We are all PR and have lived here for 3 years.

Thanks for the help

In theory, yes you can - it's pretty much what I did, though I was able to lodge the forms in person at the Post Office. A problem may arise if you are requested to attend for an interview however, but that's a chance you will have to take...

S
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:43 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
In theory, yes you can - it's pretty much what I did, though I was able to lodge the forms in person at the Post Office. A problem may arise if you are requested to attend for an interview however, but that's a chance you will have to take...

S
I thought I read on the forms that you could only apply for new passports in Australia if you were living in Australia. I too was going to send them back to the UK to my parents house but then read somewhere I could not do this. Just double check before you do anything. Obviously the passport office will know you are not in the UK at the time you are renewing them..
Old Aug 21st 2011, 1:56 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by tawkins1
I thought I read on the forms that you could only apply for new passports in Australia if you were living in Australia. I too was going to send them back to the UK to my parents house but then read somewhere I could not do this. Just double check before you do anything. Obviously the passport office will know you are not in the UK at the time you are renewing them..
If they know you are living in Aus they will tell you to apply here. However if the application is done with a UK return address then the Passport Office won't know where you're living.Several Aus residents have posted on here that they have been at home on holiday when they've applied for - and got - new passports. I would have done it myself except I would have had to pay for fast processing which made the cost about equal to applying here.
Old Aug 21st 2011, 9:04 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Originally Posted by Pollyana
If they know you are living in Aus they will tell you to apply here. However if the application is done with a UK return address then the Passport Office won't know where you're living.Several Aus residents have posted on here that they have been at home on holiday when they've applied for - and got - new passports. I would have done it myself except I would have had to pay for fast processing which made the cost about equal to applying here.

Yes, that's why I put 'In theory' on my post... it certainly worked for me.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.